The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #2,776 of 5,313
I don’t have the skills to perform a mod. I have previously heard what black gate caps can do so thought it could be fun to try something similar on the 1Z. To me it is an improvement as it just takes the 1Z sound and builds on it rather than altering it.
I still think this is a lot about personal taste though. Because i think the TA-ZH1ES is an all in all improvement over the WM1Z while others like the WM1Z sound more.

But i personally also like the M11 Plus LTD Sound a lot. Its a completely different sound as it is achromatic and so more ultra detailed, analytic and as close to perfection as possible with an insane SNR/THD/Channel separation that even beats the DMP-Z1. But a lot of people hate the sound from the THX AAA and think its very boring.

I can totally understand why some people prefer the WM1Z over the TA-ZH1ES as it is more colored but as i can enjoy chromatic amps as i can enjoy achromatic amps, for me the TA-ZH1ES is the ultimate device. Well beside the DMP-Z1 which sounds as good on a technical level but has this typical analog amp softness. Which again, i understand if people prefer it.

According to Sony, they tested all Brands of capacitors with the ZX2 that were on the market and decided that Panasonics OS-CON performed the best. When they developed the WM1 they tested again all brands and still found that OS-CON was the best, but weren't fully satisfied with them and so decided to build their own FTCAP based on the OS-CON.

So Sony decided against Black Gate Capacitors two times (or didn't test them which is unlikely as they are a japanese brand and they claimed they tested all they could get they hands on), but they decided due to personal taste for the OS-CON/FTCAP. It suited what they had in mind best. Maybe the detail they did not liked about the black gate capacitors is exactly the detail you like.

With chromatic amps, there is no right or wrong in the end.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2,777 of 5,313
I still think this is a lot about personal taste though. Because i think the TA-ZH1ES is an all in all improvement over the WM1Z while others like the WM1Z sound more.

But i personally also like the M11 Plus LTD Sound a lot. Its a completely different sound as it is achromatic and so more ultra detailed, analytic and as close to perfection as possible with an insane SNR/THD/Channel separation that even beats the DMP-Z1. But a lot of people hate the sound from the THX AAA and think its very boring.

I can totally understand why some people prefer the WM1Z over the TA-ZH1ES as it is more colored but as i can enjoy chromatic amps as i can enjoy achromatic amps, for me the TA-ZH1ES is the ultimate device. Well beside the DMP-Z1 which sounds as good on a technical level but has this typical analog amp softness. Which again, i understand if people prefer it.

According to Sony, they tested all Brands of capacitors with the ZX2 that were on the market and decided that Panasonics OS-CON performed the best. When they developed the WM1 they tested again all brands and still found that OS-CON was the best, but weren't fully satisfied with them and so decided to build their own FTCAP based on the OS-CON.

So Sony decided against Black Gate Capacitors two times (or didn't test them which is unlikely as they are a japanese brand and they claimed they tested all they could get they hands on), but they decided due to personal taste for the OS-CON/FTCAP. It suited what they had in mind best. Maybe the detail they did not liked about the black gate capacitors is exactly the detail you like.

There could have been supply issues, these caps might not have been on the market, they might not meet Sony’s standards for size/reliability/price/heat/whatever, there could have been many reasons why Sony chose what they did.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,778 of 5,313

Black Gate capacitors production stopped in 2006.

In any case, I would advise trying the WM1A/Z firmware on your ZX300 (with no warranty voidance), for example, if you're curious about improving the sound quality without altering the hardware.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,779 of 5,313

99% of the best caps available would not have been on Sony's list to decide against. They would have only been interested in small low profile surface mount caps that could be installed by machine, not large high profile through hole ones which require installation by hand.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,780 of 5,313
There could have been supply issues, these caps might not have been on the market, they might not meet Sony’s standards for size/reliability/price/heat/whatever, there could have been many reasons why Sony chose what they did.
They did not tell the exact reason, but they mentioned several times that the ZX1 only could happen because of the OS-CON and the unique sound of the Walkman is due to those capacitors and that developing their own FTCAP made it possible that the WM1Z sounded exactly how they intended.

This is not a clear answer, that is true, but i think they never expected that anyone would doubt their decision.

The capacitors were developed by the Team that builds and designs the capacitors for the stationary amps. So the same Team that developed the FTCAP also developed the capacitors in all other Sony products like the TA-ZH1ES or the HAP-Z1ES.

Even the 9000€ DMP-Z1 uses Sonys self developed FTCAP2, i am very sure that this is and always was an intentional decision and not related to money at all. The same is true for the S-Master HX

たまに、「ウォークマンがデジタルアンプを採用しているのはコストダウンや省電力のためなのでは?」と言われることがあるんですが、それは誤解で、ウォークマンのフルデジタルアンプは、我々がウォークマンで目指す音質のために試行錯誤を繰り返して開発しているデバイスです。 もしコストを考慮していたら汎用のアンプデバイスを使っています(笑)。
Translates roughly to
Sometimes people ask us, "Isn't the reason Walkman uses digital amplifiers to reduce costs and save power? But that's a misconception. The full-digital Walkman amplifier is a device that we developed through repeated trial and error to achieve the sound quality we were aiming for in the Walkman. If cost had been a consideration, we'd have used a general-purpose amplifier device (laughs).

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,783 of 5,313
Although the DMP-Z1 uses some hand mounted Nichicon Gold too as the largest caps in there.
I think the cables and some other parts are hand mounted too. At least several parts look too unclean that they have been mounted by a machine.

The SA-Z1 also uses the FTCAP by the way, just noticed that (beside others). But even though the SA-Z1 is the latest product in the lineup, they still use the old FTCAP and not the new FTCAP2. I wonder why

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,784 of 5,313
I think the cables and some other parts are hand mounted too. At least several parts look too unclean that they have been mounted by a machine.

The SA-Z1 also uses the FTCAP by the way, just noticed that (beside others). But even though the SA-Z1 is the latest product in the lineup, they still use the old FTCAP and not the new FTCAP2. I wonder why

Cables at assembly time for sure, components at board manufacture, by machine.

Probably using inventory up, these are businesses after all.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,785 of 5,313
DMP-Z1 sounds better than WM1A and any other DAP i teeted including DX300 and SP2000CU and WM1Z
And an Ferrari drives faster than a Golf.

Of course is the DMP-Z1 better, it is a completely different class of device.

DX300, SP2000CU and WM1Z are all portable devices that can easily be used handheld, put in your pocket and so on. I often use my WM1Z with the IER-M9 when strolling outside or when commuting, when walking around inside at home and so on. Thats just impossible with the DMP-Z1

Of course, devices that are much smaller and simpler build, don't sound as good, but they are meant for different use cases. I think nobody expects and smartphone to have the same capabilities as an Notebook.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,786 of 5,313
And an Ferrari drives faster than a Golf.

Of course is the DMP-Z1 better, it is a completely different class of device.

DX300, SP2000CU and WM1Z are all portable devices that can easily be used handheld, put in your pocket and so on. I often use my WM1Z with the IER-M9 when strolling outside or when commuting, when walking around inside at home and so on. Thats just impossible with the DMP-Z1

Of course, devices that are much smaller and simpler build, don't sound as good, but they are meant for different use cases. I think nobody expects and smartphone to have the same capabilities as an Notebook.
I will stikk aens my wm1A for modding to nayparm sometime next year

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,787 of 5,313
DMP-Z1 sounds better than WM1A and any other DAP i teeted including DX300 and SP2000CU and WM1Z
So it should given the price and size differnce with the DMP-Z1 being transportable, rather than portable. I know the DMP-Z1 is the new toy, equally a handheld player it is not nor remotely comparable to one...

Q-6

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,788 of 5,313
I don’t have the skills to perform a mod. I have previously heard what black gate caps can do so thought it could be fun to try something similar on the 1Z. To me it is an improvement as it just takes the 1Z sound and builds on it rather than altering it.
I couldn't’ agree more! I have been hesitant about modding my beloved 1z, but I have been strongly interested since the start of the original mega-tread. All I can say at the moment, is that I hear more info from my FLAC files. As in every time you load an improved FW, or getting the cable right with the perfect set of tips and so on! I find it very hard to regret this! :). Steve does this very well and you get fotos of the operation, so you get the full process!

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,789 of 5,313
We might have all this great gear but nothing beats a live performance in a good concert hall. Went to the Danish radio concert hall to hear Verdi’s Requiem tonight.

0F821DB9-2090-4793-A4AC-3765133C68DD.jpeg
C20D2378-8F70-44CC-A488-C0C2BD830572.jpeg
EBD7F3AC-56D0-4C3B-9426-5B889F97B096.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,790 of 5,313
We might have all this great gear but nothing beats a live performance in a good concert hall. Went to the Danish radio concert hall to hear Verdi’s Requiem tonight.

0F821DB9-2090-4793-A4AC-3765133C68DD.jpegC20D2378-8F70-44CC-A488-C0C2BD830572.jpegEBD7F3AC-56D0-4C3B-9426-5B889F97B096.jpeg
That is true, but imho nothing comes as close to an real performance as the MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES.

I attended an concert which was recorded at DVD+CD. It was recorded extremely well and when I listen to that with the above mentioned setup, it gets as close to the real performance as possible. When I close my eyes, I feel like I'm back at the concert hall. My cousin attended the same concert (you can see us both in the DVD :D) and he felt the same.

MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES=authentic concert experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back