The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,761 of 5,322
Sorry to disagree with some of the above posts. I had and sold the TA-ZH1ES - I felt my WM1Z sounded better. Others have had similar findings.

Usually a company prices their better components at higher prices. The WM1Z is $3200 while the TA is $2200. I wonder if that is indicative of what Sony thinks as well:slight_smile:
Comparing to my 1A the traits of the TA-ZH1ES that stand out to me are the bass impact and staging, but it could be possible that there is a Walkman firmware/tuning that may be more appealing than the actual sound signature of the TA.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #2,762 of 5,322
Really that’s how I see it too, in comparison to the WM1A. But he doing a comparison to the 1Z. The 1Z has bass like the TA, but still doesn’t offer the full size of the lower bass area imaging like what the TA naturally does. But...the 1Z has a unique treble experience that neither the 1A or TA does. It’s all around in staging, way out to the side around and back, like a fish bowl.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #2,763 of 5,322
Really that’s how I see it too, in comparison to the WM1A. But he doing a comparison to the 1Z. The 1Z has bass like the TA, but still doesn’t offer the full size of the lower bass area imaging like what the TA naturally does. But...the 1Z has a unique treble experience that neither the 1A or TA does. It’s all around in staging, way out to the side around and back, like a fish bowl.
I was going with the general opinion that the 1A with firmwares is so close to the 1Z, but from following the various Sony threads I still have gathered that there is a hardware quality to the 1Z (as you have often described). In researching if I could get away with just the 1Z I have also mostly seen opinions that the TA-ZH1ES is deemed some level above the 1Z.
I'm keen to hear the 1Z.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,764 of 5,322
I was going with the general opinion that the 1A with firmwares is so close to the 1Z, but from following the various Sony threads I still have gathered that there is a hardware quality to the 1Z (as you have often described). In researching if I could get away with just the 1Z I have also mostly seen opinions that the TA-ZH1ES is deemed some level above the 1Z.
I'm keen to hear the 1Z.

Isn't it, though?

In any case, I would go with a modded 1A at (with the 1Z sound) over an actual 1Z at any time. The more capable power caps, combined with AudioNote KAISEI caps (developed in collaboration with Rubycon, who made the BlackGate caps) on the amp side, should provide better sound quality as well as more oomph when a song calls for it, and all that at a lower price than a 1Z.

Basically this:
I had to get my screen fixed and thought of Steve from NP Audio right away. A new screen was needed & long delivery was expected. Long story short, I now have a SONY Walkman 1A with a 1Z board. And modded to the limit too.
so the big question is, is it worth it? To me it is. I have a great hearing and appreciate quality recordings of any genre. I can hear the difference in cables, tips, region codes and FW. Also 16 bit vs. 24 bit. And because of that, I’m having a time of my life with this great player! The small little details that you discover when then right combination is found, are presented with even better & improved accent, in a good way that is. Of cause, everything’s improved too. Control, position, image and so forth. And I’m only 20 hours in the minimum 200 hours burn-in! :) Highly recommend
Bonus hint: remember to check on the ridiculous custom rules.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,765 of 5,322
Isn't it, though?

In any case, I would go with a modded 1A at (with the 1Z sound) over an actual 1Z at any time. The more capable power caps, combined with AudioNote KAISEI caps (developed in collaboration with Rubycon, who made the BlackGate caps) on the amp side, should provide better sound quality as well as more oomph when a song calls for it, and all that at a lower price than a 1Z.

Basically this:
I don't know a lot about the mod specs. I'm on the opposite side of the world and the shipping costs and delays (probably more on my side due to closed borders and almost no flights) during Covid have ruled it out for me.
I know the battery issues were a rare unfortunate event but the thought of having to send back, I just don't want to take the risk.
I really like the idea of a custom upgrade but I also like the idea of stock, as it was designed, unlike the software :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #2,766 of 5,322
I don't know a lot about the mod specs. I'm on the opposite side of the world and the shipping costs and delays (probably more on my side due to closed borders and almost no flights) during Covid have ruled it out for me.
I know the battery issues were a rare unfortunate event but the thought of having to send back, I just don't want to take the risk.
I really like the idea of a custom upgrade but I also like the idea of stock, as it was designed.

What seems attractive to me is getting even better sound quality/capability, while paying less.

The battery mod is optional.

This is a mod job which also includes the single-ended side (which is also optional):
a0d0d433.jpg

824d651f.jpg

And twin supercap:
96207af0.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #2,767 of 5,322
I really like the idea of a custom upgrade but I also like the idea of stock, as it was designed, unlike the software :wink:
I haven't heard an modded WM1 yet so take that with a grain of salt, but i doubt that Sony would have released the WM1Z for 3300€ with much space for improvement. According to an Interview on the Japanese Webpage they developed the capacitors, which are based on Panasonics OS-CON, for 2 years and did micro adjustments to windings in 0,1mm steps for months going back and forth with multiple testing devices. I'd be surprised if you could just put off-the-shelve hardware into it and improve the sound that easily. I assume its more a change than an improvement. Its not like Sonys Devs are incapable in producing a good sounding device, the WM1Z sounds the way it does intentionally and not by accident because they couldn't do better.

Of course, if you like the new sound after the mod more, it is an improvement for you, but i'm not sure if it is worth the hassle or if it would be easier to just get a different DAP in the first place that does have that sound. The WM1 Series is a bit of a cult Item like the Honda Civic. There is a gigantic mod community for the Honda Civic archiving crazy things, but that doesn't mean the result is cheaper nor better than just getting a different car in the first place.

But you're not modding the Civic because you want an better car, you do it because you want to mod the Civic, to make it your own and unique and the fun is to mod it. I personally think its the same with the WM1. The reason for an modded WM1 is the fun in modding it. The fun of experimenting, adjusting, see what the changes do and so on.

So imho the reason to have a modded device is because you modded it yourself and i'd just start with an cheap used ZX300 and toy around with it until you feel confident enough to mod your WM1A. Of course you can send in your WM1A to let someone else do the mod, but you then have that persons take on the WM1A and not your own. For me the fun would be to have my own.

Maybe you'll find a junk WM1Z somewhere and you can take your WM1A and mod it using its parts. Replace the 5 OS-CON by FTCAP, the resistors maybe? (Thats a tough job) and use the WM1Z Cabinet with the Kimber Kable. Or, like others did, just get different parts altogether. But i would not send in my WM1Z for a mod in the expectation it will sound the same but better. You should be aware that it will not sound the same (that is the whole reason behind modding it imho)

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,768 of 5,322
I haven't heard an modded WM1 yet so take that with a grain of salt, but i doubt that Sony would have released the WM1Z for 3300€ with much space for improvement. According to an Interview on the Japanese Webpage they developed the capacitors, which are based on Panasonics OS-CON, for 2 years and did micro adjustments to windings in 0,1mm steps for months going back and forth with multiple testing devices. I'd be surprised if you could just put off-the-shelve hardware into it and improve the sound that easily. I assume its more a change than an improvement. Its not like Sonys Devs are incapable in producing a good sounding device, the WM1Z sounds the way it does intentionally and not by accident because they couldn't do better.

Of course, if you like the new sound after the mod more, it is an improvement for you, but i'm not sure if it is worth the hassle or if it would be easier to just get a different DAP in the first place that does have that sound. The WM1 Series is a bit of a cult Item like the Honda Civic. There is a gigantic mod community for the Honda Civic archiving crazy things, but that doesn't mean the result is cheaper nor better than just getting a different car in the first place.

But you're not modding the Civic because you want an better car, you do it because you want to mod the Civic, to make it your own and unique and the fun is to mod it. I personally think its the same with the WM1. The reason for an modded WM1 is the fun in modding it. The fun of experimenting, adjusting, see what the changes do and so on.

So imho the reason to have a modded device is because you modded it yourself and i'd just start with an cheap used ZX300 and toy around with it until you feel confident enough to mod your WM1A. Of course you can send in your WM1A to let someone else do the mod, but you then have that persons take on the WM1A and not your own. For me the fun would be to have my own.

Maybe you'll find a junk WM1Z somewhere and you can take your WM1A and mod it using its parts. Replace the 5 OS-CON by FTCAP, the resistors maybe? (Thats a tough job) and use the WM1Z Cabinet with the Kimber Kable. Or, like others did, just get different parts altogether. But i would not send in my WM1Z for a mod in the expectation it will sound the same but better. You should be aware that it will not sound the same (that is the whole reason behind modding it imho)
I remember trying a WM1A "K" mod at Music Sanctuary https://music-sanctuary.com/products/the-k-mod ........now keep in mind at the time I was really listening to IEMs, not the mod. But to me MrWalmans firmwares do much more than the K mod on a WM1A?

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #2,769 of 5,322
What seems attractive to me is getting even better sound quality/capability, while paying less.

The battery mod is optional.

This is a mod job which also includes the single-ended side (which is also optional):

And twin supercap:
Exchange rates/currencies and postage and taxes would probably even it out with the low Australian pricing that I have been fortunate to take advantage of.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-nwwm1z-256-gb-walkman-with-high-resolution-audio

https://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-nwwm1a-128-gb-high-resolution-walkman

subtract 10% local tax if sending to your country.

I meant I respect the concept of modding in general but with audio gear like headphones and daps I feel I would rather opt for stock and manipulate what I could with cables, tips or firmwares etc, or just choose another brand or model. The software side of the Walkmans has been proven to be a different story but I favour the idea of stock.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #2,770 of 5,322

Huh, but sony will have helped to develop those Oscon FT caps to a size and budget constraint of a few mm and a few pence. Just 1 of those Audio Notes costs as much as all the Oscons/FT caps put together. Probably a similar amount of material inside 1 as them all too :D

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2,771 of 5,322
I remember trying a WM1A "K" mod at Music Sanctuary https://music-sanctuary.com/products/the-k-mod ........now keep in mind at the time I was really listening to IEMs, not the mod. But to me MrWalmans firmwares do much more than the K mod on a WM1A?

Lol aren't they the reason the old thread got closed down :D

Which did you listen to? The one which changes the cable, socket and solder? That's never going to change anything IMO

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,772 of 5,322
Exchange rates/currencies and postage and taxes would probably even it out with the low Australian pricing that I have been fortunate to take advantage of.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-nwwm1z-256-gb-walkman-with-high-resolution-audio

https://www.minidisc.com.au/sony-nwwm1a-128-gb-high-resolution-walkman

subtract 10% local tax if sending to your country.

I meant I respect the concept of modding in general but with audio gear like headphones and daps I feel I would rather opt for stock and manipulate what I could with cables, tips or firmwares etc, or just choose another brand or model. The software side of the Walkmans has been proven to be a different story but I favour the idea of stock.
I am glad for any happiness found by others with mods, but to me, not only is it a difficult procedure to have it done, I would rather spend money towards better IEMs? Also cables do some but the firmware (aftermarket) does wonders. I do enjoy the sound of stock (with firmware). Of course it also voids the warranty. Plus I like the feeling of it being pristine inside?

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #2,773 of 5,322

Which did you listen to? The one which changes the cable, socket and solder? That's never going to change anything IMO
To tell you the truth, I'm in the dark as to why that thread was closed exactly? There was a few things? Anyway, yes they take and replace the sockets and change out the wire? The 1A had a little "K" branded into the top. I'm not sure all they do, but the sound was not that changed (to me) in contrast to aftermarket software. Not sure if it was the Premium or Ultimate X?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2,774 of 5,322

I don’t have the skills to perform a mod. I have previously heard what black gate caps can do so thought it could be fun to try something similar on the 1Z. To me it is an improvement as it just takes the 1Z sound and builds on it rather than altering it.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #2,775 of 5,322

Lets not go into why, pm me if you want the full story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back