The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,791 of 5,322
We might have all this great gear but nothing beats a live performance in a good concert hall. Went to the Danish radio concert hall to hear Verdi’s Requiem tonight.

0F821DB9-2090-4793-A4AC-3765133C68DD.jpegC20D2378-8F70-44CC-A488-C0C2BD830572.jpegEBD7F3AC-56D0-4C3B-9426-5B889F97B096.jpeg
That must have been an awesome experience. My only experience has been our national Symphony orchestra performing the live soundtrack to Star Wars as the film played in a venue used for rock concerts.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #2,792 of 5,322
That is true, but imho nothing comes as close to an real performance as the MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES.

I attended an concert which was recorded at DVD+CD. It was recorded extremely well and when I listen to that with the above mentioned setup, it gets as close to the real performance as possible. When I close my eyes, I feel like I'm back at the concert hall. My cousin attended the same concert (you can see us both in the DVD :D) and he felt the same.

MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES=authentic concert experience
Yes that combo has been my home rig for 5 years and I've had no desire to even try something else

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,793 of 5,322
That must have been an awesome experience. My only experience has been our national Symphony orchestra performing the live soundtrack to Star Wars as the film played in a venue used for rock concerts.
It is the piece I've heard the most times live. Heard it the first time when I was 13 or 14 and this was my 6th time 45 years later

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,794 of 5,322
It is the piece I've heard the most times live. Heard it the first time when I was 13 or 14 and this was my 6th time 45 years later
Almost all my experiences of live music have been either blisteringly loud alternative rock/metal gigs in small or large venues or thumping drum'n bass in clubs, I'd love to experience classical in a venue made for it.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,795 of 5,322
Sorry to disagree with some of the above posts. I had and sold the TA-ZH1ES - I felt my WM1Z sounded better. Others have had similar findings.

Usually a company prices their better components at higher prices. The WM1Z is $3200 while the TA is $2200. I wonder if that is indicative of what Sony thinks as well:slight_smile:
Pairing and synergy are key.

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #2,796 of 5,322
That is true, but imho nothing comes as close to an real performance as the MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES.

I attended an concert which was recorded at DVD+CD. It was recorded extremely well and when I listen to that with the above mentioned setup, it gets as close to the real performance as possible. When I close my eyes, I feel like I'm back at the concert hall. My cousin attended the same concert (you can see us both in the DVD :D) and he felt the same.

MDR-Z1R+TA-ZH1ES=authentic concert experience
DMP-Z1 and MDR-Z1R get so damn close to the live performance wow i is as baffled uesterday with the accuracy of this serup (amozqrt serenade Grand Partitq)

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,797 of 5,322
Im not 100% sure if i remember this correctly, but i remember an Sony Engineer mentioning in an interview that when you enable High-Gain, the S-Master HX uses different resistors and so no longer uses the analog amp and without the correction signal from the analog amp, you increase distortion and noise (beside increasing noise and distortion anyway due to higher voltage).

THX does something similar with its AAA Amps. They use forward error correction and the higher you set the gain, the less correction mechanisms are used and so different resistors are used and so you're pushing more voltage.

With the DMP-Z1, its the same. When you switch from Low Gain to High Gain, all you do is switch resistors to have higher voltage but also you lower the quality. You have worse THD and SNR, but more power for your headphone.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf

So unless you don't need the extra volume, Low Gain is always better.
I agreed. I only use low gain on DMP-Z1 to drive MDR-Z1R / JH Layla in past 3 years, the volume is no higher than 10 am, the power is more than sufficient.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,798 of 5,322
I agreed. I only use low gain on DMP-Z1 to drive MDR-Z1R / JH Layla in past 3 years, the volume is no higher than 10 am, the power is more than sufficient.
Agree too. Between 9:00 und 10;30 Ihr for MDR and IER Z1Rs

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,799 of 5,322
Pairing and synergy are key.
WM1Z w/ Z1R - just like Sony designers envisioned
WM1Z w/ Utopia
TA-ZH1ES w/ Z1R - just like Sony designers envisioned
TA-ZH1ES w/ Utopia

Both cans sounded better with the 1Z rather than with my TA-ZH1ES.
The Z1 is still here - the TA was sold.

your mileage may vary

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,800 of 5,322
Does anybody know how to reset a Sony NW - A55 with WM1Z custom firmware on it? It seems to be making the player not recognized the SD card

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #2,801 of 5,322
Does anybody know how to reset a Sony NW - A55 with WM1Z custom firmware on it? It seems to be making the player not recognized the SD card

The firmware doesn't change anything related to the SD Card, and nobody else reported an issue like this, so it has to be something else entirely.

If you want to get to the stock firmware, you need to install the corresponding StockRevert package, depending on the currently installed firmware (check the Unit Information menu).

You can find a link to previous StockRevert packages here, or you can find the StockRevert for the Walkman One firmware in the internal storage of the player, in the CFW folder. After running the StockRevert package, install the 1.02 update, which can be found in the same CFW folder in the internal storage of the player.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,802 of 5,322
The firmware doesn't change anything related to the SD Card, and nobody else reported an issue like this, so it has to be something else entirely.

If you want to get to the stock firmware, you need to install the corresponding StockRevert package, depending on the currently installed firmware (check the Unit Information menu).

You can find a link to previous StockRevert packages here, or you can find the StockRevert for the Walkman One firmware in the internal storage of the player, in the CFW folder. After running the StockRevert package, install the 1.02 update, which can be found in the same CFW folder in the internal storage of the player.
3.02 update :wink:

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,803 of 5,322
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,804 of 5,322
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,805 of 5,322

May be a bad card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back