The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,746 of 5,322
I'm a bit confused now^^ so you put a 1A board (the board was not modified?) into the 1Z cabinet or you put a modified board into the 1Z cabinet?

And the sound was the same? So the 1A board in the 1Z cabinet sounded like 1A or the other way around?
He moeified the board (well not @nc8000 himself, but steve from NP Audio) the mod invluded some wire swap and capacitor swap as well as a large battery (double the capacity of the factory-installed)

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,747 of 5,322
I'm a bit confused now^^ so you put a 1A board (the board was not modified?) into the 1Z cabinet or you put a modified board into the 1Z cabinet?

And the sound was the same? So the 1A board in the 1Z cabinet sounded like 1A or the other way around?
I had my 1Z modded by Nayparm but after a month the new battery leaked and destroyed the modded board so Nayparm modded a new 1A board and put that in the 1Z case. And yes after modding the only difference between a modded 1A board and a modded 1Z board is the extra 128GB memory on the 1Z board. The mod removes all the components that are the difference between a 1A and 1Z and replaces them with better components, removes the relays and cuts the board to fit a huge cap. I have also got rid of the 3.5 port to fit an external BT aerial to get longer range and got rid of the nfc module. And then to finish it off the back panel is replaced with a copper plate and the battery is replaced by one with the double capacity

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2,749 of 5,322
Ah okay, I understand. I meant putting the vanilla WM1A board into the WM1Z cabinet (but only the board, not the cables or anything else).
The main reason for just going with a 1A board was that I could see no reason for Nayparm to have to pay the double price for a 1Z board when all I would get out of that was an extra 128GB storage

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,750 of 5,322
The main reason for just going with a 1A board was that I could see no reason for Nayparm to have to pay the double price for a 1Z board when all I would get out of that was an extra 128GB storage
Yes, especially for the modded board it would not have made sense.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #2,751 of 5,322
I've seen that the modding community is trying a lot of things like changing capacitors and stuff with their WM1Z. Did anyone tried yet to put a WM1Z board in the WM1A cabinet and the other way around?
I had to get my screen fixed and thought of Steve from NP Audio right away. A new screen was needed & long delivery was expected. Long story short, I now have a SONY Walkman 1A with a 1Z board. And modded to the limit too.
so the big question is, is it worth it? To me it is. I have a great hearing and appreciate quality recordings of any genre. I can hear the difference in cables, tips, region codes and FW. Also 16 bit vs. 24 bit. And because of that, I’m having a time of my life with this great player! The small little details that you discover when then right combination is found, are presented with even better & improved accent, in a good way that is. Of cause, everything’s improved too. Control, position, image and so forth. And I’m only 20 hours in the minimum 200 hours burn-in! :) Highly recommend
Bonus hint: remember to check on the ridiculous custom rules.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2,753 of 5,322
The only mod I'd be interested in would be a mod that would make my WM1Z sound like the TA-ZH1ES^^
I think the power output of the TA-ZH1ES has a significant impact on the sound improvements over the Walkmans, especially the bass and staging.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,754 of 5,322
How much is a Nayparm modded new WM1A vs the cost of a stock new WM1Z? Must factor shipping to USA since I think he does not live here.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,755 of 5,322
I think the power output of the TA-ZH1ES has a significant impact on the sound improvements over the Walkmans, especislly the bass and staging.
I think it goes hand in hand. Better components often automatically lead to higher output power, but higher output power doesn't automatically means better sound.

I think even with an output power of 250mW the TA-ZH1ES would sound better because it utilizes more and better components in general. Better capacitors, better LCs, LDOs and so on. It's just the overall better device due to not having size restrictions.

But I wasn't that serious in the first place^^ I don't really expect the WM1Z to sound like the TA-ZH1ES, it's size just doesn't allow it and the size is more important to me. I want an handy companion and for its size, it sounds impressive. I have the TA-ZH1ES at home and thanks to Corona, I get to use it quite often these days.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,756 of 5,322
I think it goes hand in hand. Better components often automatically lead to higher output power, but higher output power doesn't automatically means better sound.

I think even with an output power of 250mW the TA-ZH1ES would sound better because it utilizes more and better components in general. Better capacitors, better LCs, LDOs and so on. It's just the overall better device due to not having size restrictions.

But I wasn't that serious in the first place^^ I don't really expect the WM1Z to sound like the TA-ZH1ES, it's size just doesn't allow it and the size is more important to me. I want an handy companion and for its size, it sounds impressive. I have the TA-ZH1ES at home and thanks to Corona, I get to use it quite often these days.
True. Before getting the TA-ZH1ES I did try amping my WM1A and got decent results with the extra power, but I knew it wouldn't match a decent desktop.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #2,757 of 5,322
Sorry to disagree with some of the above posts. I had and sold the TA-ZH1ES - I felt my WM1Z sounded better. Others have had similar findings.

Usually a company prices their better components at higher prices. The WM1Z is $3200 while the TA is $2200. I wonder if that is indicative of what Sony thinks as well:slight_smile:

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #2,758 of 5,322
Sorry to disagree with some of the above posts. I had and sold the TA-ZH1ES - I felt my WM1Z sounded better. Others have had similar findings.
Because it costs 3300€, not because it is better. People in general think the higher priced device is better. If you know you payed 3300€ for it, it instantly sounds better, no matter what the truth is.

There are several people who explain how much better the FiiO M17 sounds compared to the M11 Plus LTD. Better Soundstage, better Bass response and so on. They explain the differences in Detail how they differ in sound in detail. They can explain you very specific how they differ.

Official Statement from FiiO and THX: They sound absolutely identical and the same. And of course they do, that is the whole reason behind the THX AAA Amp, its even in the Name. AAA means Achromatic Audio Amplifier, of course they will sound exactly the same, that is what this Amp and its certification system was developed for. They are made to sound the same and they do, no matter what religious cult audiophiles think.

You see, price it higher and people are absolutely sure it sounds better, no matter what. They even claim that the companies who develops these items lies to them (of course, the company lies to you. "Please buy our cheaper device hurr hurr, that will teach you a lesson")

I posted several examples of songs where you can hear without doubt and instantly that the TA-ZH1ES exceeds the capabilities of the WM1Z. And its not even hard to notice, its like Triangles in the near background that sound crystal clear with the TA-ZH1ES and sound rough and mushy with the WM1Z.

Maybe people like the sound of the WM1Z more, that could be the reason and is totally possible. The better device is not always the device that people like more. I accept that people dislike the sound of the TA-ZH1ES, but not in terms of sound quality. In terms of sonic performance, the TA-ZH1ES is far better. Bigger soundstage, more defined and controlled bass response, clearer and more extended treble and so on.

The TA-ZH1ES uses more than 50 capacitors and a layerd board design while the WM1Z uses 14 and one board. The WM1Z is a shrinked/downsized Version of the TA-ZH1ES, how could it sound better? Just because its more expensive? It uses less components and the components it uses are often heavily compromised (The LCs for example are to small, but the WM1Z could not fit bigger LCs. The capacitors are too small, but the WM1Z can't fit bigger capacitors and so on). Of course and downsized and cheaper (in terms of technical design) device will not sound as good.

The WM1Z is $3200 while the TA is $2200. I wonder if that is indicative of what Sony thinks as well :slight_smile:
According to Sonys Marketing Claims, the TA-ZH1ES is better. That is what Sony Store Employees and Authorized Resellers like the e-earphone stuff tell you too. When you go into the Sony Store to demo the MDR-Z1R, it is always plugged into the TA-ZH1ES and they will tell you its the definitive device to demo the MDR-Z1R.

They recommend you to buy the WM1Z in addition to the TA-ZH1ES, not the other way around. If you demo the MDR-Z1R, the WM1Z is marketed as an player for the TA-ZH1ES and an alternative when you're on your way. Why should they do that when the WM1Z sounds better? They should just sell you the WM1Z and be happy.

According to Sony, even the PHA-3 is better than the WM1Z. In the interview with the development team, they explain how they tried to fit as many components from the PHA-3 into the WM1Z but couldn't and how proud they are that they for example were able to put the mechanical relays into the WM1Z. They were proud that even though the size is so small, they could do things like that.

Nobody was proud that they fit mechanical relays in the TA-ZH1ES, of course did they, why not? They have all the space they wanted and put a tons of them in it.

In the marketing Videos, the Leader of the Walkman team even mentions the restrictions due to the size and how they managed to produce such a good sound given the size restrictions.

This is a typical setup you find in Sony Stores

01-Sony-MDR-Z1R.jpg

Usually a company prices their better components at higher prices.
In the same product category, yes, but only there.

The production and development cost of the WM1Z was way more expensive than the TA-ZH1ES due to its mobile size. The TA-ZH1ES was easier the develop, design and build, i think that's the main reason why its cheaper.

The WM1Z is a portable player that does a lot of things, the TA-ZH1ES does only one thing and even can't play music on its own.

Do you think an 1200€ Smartphone will outperform an 1200€ Notebook? Do you think an 1200€ Notebook will outperform an 1200€ High End Desktop Workstation?

Even an 3000€ Notebook will perform worse than an 1200€ Desktop Workstation, so no, higher price doesn't mean better performance. An 3000€ Notebook will perform better than an 1200€ Notebook, but not better than an 1200€ Desktop Workstation.

The PS Vita did not outperform the PS3, even though they sold for almost the same price.

You see, price doesn't equal quality when you compare devices that do completely different things.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,759 of 5,322

Usually a company prices their better components at higher prices. The WM1Z is $3200 while the TA is $2200. I wonder if that is indicative of what Sony thinks as well:slight_smile:
It's interesting as each the 1A, 1Z and TA have their own individual sound. Software only does so much, though a lot to change things up. I do recognize your opinion on the WM1Z and totally get where your coming from. The WM1Z has a brighter signature, so IEMs or headphones can key into that area of the response thus showing that aspect of the WM1Z personality.

It really depends on what sound your after and what headphones you have. I remember finally updating my TA firmware to 1.03 and it changed things slightly. It especially seemed like the TA improved with one set of IEMs, the only set that seemed too dark with the TA. The TA worked with everything I owned then. Still the 1Z does have a different sound, a different personality all it's own. That why it's controversial which is better, as everyone is looking at the two from different sides.

Really everyone is right! It's just taste and perspective which is better.

With that said the bass may be slightly filled out in the soundstage with the TA. Also full size headphones are way, way better damped with the TA. Still the 1Z has that really cool soundstage and treble ability............with IEMs.

Though I use my 1Z way more than the TA, even at home as I like to have access to the songs. The other thing that's great about the 1Z is you have access to all of the MrWalkman region changes and aftermarket firmware.......that may tailor the 1Z to be even closer to perfect with a set of IEMs? The TA has nothing like that due to the TA getting updates in a closed loop directly from Sony.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,760 of 5,322
How much is a Nayparm modded new WM1A vs the cost of a stock new WM1Z? Must factor shipping to USA since I think he does not live here.
Nayparm lives in UK. A fully modded 1A is considerably cheaper than a stock 1Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back