The Compass Thread (New)
Aug 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #406 of 981
Deleted

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #407 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many hours on your Compass? You do get a stage where the treble drops out for about 50 hours around the 230 hour mark.

There's also the "bright" jumper too you can put in or remove (I just forgot which).

None of that made an appreciable difference. With the neutral setting and earth opamp, this is a dark and thick sounding amp.

Biggie.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #408 of 981
Biggie,

How many hours ? Can you answer the question please, it's important to know where you are at (hours wise) with the HDAM and Compass.

Peete.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #410 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of that made an appreciable difference. With the neutral setting and earth opamp, this is a dark and thick sounding amp.

Biggie.

When I compared it to a Benchmark, that's indeed true. It's not a bright-sounding DAC.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #411 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Biggie,

How many hours ? Can you answer the question please, it's important to know where you are at (hours wise) with the HDAM and Compass.

Peete.

1000 hours maybe. I didn't come here to talk about burn-in. I came here to inquire about brighter opamps that will actually work with the compass.

Biggie.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #412 of 981
Quote:

1000 hours maybe. I didn't come here to talk about burn-in. I came here to inquire about brighter opamps that will actually work with the compass.

Biggie.

Burn plays a part in SQ abnd voicing....now that we know your well past that stage then the discussion about options beyond stock parts can begin in earnest. Google latest audio application notes on LT IC OPA's and LM...along with TI and AD offerings.

Some standard types to consider are the old standby OPA627's (on a brown dog adapter), the LT1364,LT1078,LT1469,AD 825 (on a brown dog) for starters with other more up to date options now available. What you need is dual channel OPAs for the most part if you don't have a brown dog adapter. I don't many IC based OPA's so my experience with the latest top shelf parts is limited. I'm sure some other members will fill in some blanks.

Peete.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #413 of 981
I've been trying different opamps in the compass already. I'm looking for a bright sounding opamp that can handle +-16v. I like the signature of the ad8620, but it can't handle that. I know from personal experience all of the burr brown opamps are just on the other side of neutral. I'll look into those LT opamps.

Biggie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn plays a part in SQ abnd voicing....now that we know your well past that stage then the discussion about options beyond stock parts can begin in earnest. Google latest audio application notes on LT IC OPA's and LM...along with TI and AD offerings.

Some standard types to consider are the old standby OPA627's (on a brown dog adapter), the LT1364,LT1078,LT1469,AD 825 (on a brown dog) for starters with other more up to date options now available. What you need is dual channel OPAs for the most part if you don't have a brown dog adapter. I don't many IC based OPA's so my experience with the latest top shelf parts is limited. I'm sure some other members will fill in some blanks.

Peete.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #414 of 981
Quote:

I've been trying different opamps in the compass already. I'm looking for a bright sounding opamp that can handle +-16v. I like the signature of the ad8620, but it can't handle that. I know from personal experience all of the burr brown opamps are just on the other side of neutral. I'll look into those LT opamps.

Biggie.

Did you try the LME49720HA ? it is brighter than opa earth and opa627 but its highs are smoother than those of the LM4562.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #415 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try the LME49720HA ? it is brighter than opa earth and opa627 but its highs are smoother than those of the LM4562.

X2. I tried 2x LME49710 (the single-channel versions) and they are quite bright, much more so than 627's.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #416 of 981
I have a LME49720 opamp in the compass right now. It sounds a bit like the ad8620, but with a drier midrange, which doesn't sound as natural to me. I have LM6172, ad823, ad826 and ad8066 opamps on the way to try out. ^^

Biggie.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #417 of 981
Quote:

I have a LME49720 opamp in the compass right now. It sounds a bit like the ad8620, but with a drier midrange, which doesn't sound as natural to me.

Did you try the LME49720HA, which is the TO-99 format metal canned version of the LME49720 ? According to a former design engineer with National Semiconductor, Metal can versions are supposed to sound better than the plastic versions. (see here)

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #418 of 981
Looking into purchasing a Compass.. quick question, has anyone ever compared this to a Corda Cantate.2?

Would they be of similar SQ or would the Cantate be an upgrade from the Compass?

Thanks

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #420 of 981
I got few questions about sound quality.
I would like to know which one would be better way to connect Compass to my pc now it's connected via usb. I did think if it would be better to connect it Toslink to my Esi Juli@ or then to usb and using usb asio driver?
Then second question would i get any benefit to using super mode instead of normal mode or does it effect sound so much?

Thanks for the answers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back