Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
show me 1 head-fi'er that doesnt post drunk ... hee hee

Me
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #363 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add... this really doesn't look to me as if it's drunken behaviour bad enough to warrant banning?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/sa...6/#post5839009
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tia...ml#post5839006
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...ml#post5838997

Though the thread I mistakenly created in DIY has since been removed, but my postings from the same time don't strike me as being anything that could be classed as unwanted forum behaviour?

~Phewl.

Who's up for raping and pillaging in protest then?
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #364 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
show me 1 head-fi'er that doesnt post drunk ... hee hee

I don't drink, so...me.
tongue.gif

SoFGR, if your TV has an optical input, you could just go straight to that. Your TV's speakers are probably fairly poor anyway, so I wouldn't bother using any hi-fi components to connect to your TV.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #365 of 981
no my tv has only optical output no input so analog L/R is the only option i suppose since my gtx260 can pass audio signal through hdmi, i'd like to use the tv for htpc purposes once in a while so it's not always practical to wear headphones, will this chain work ? what's the difference between preamp and dac out ?

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #366 of 981
Does your GTX260 have an HDMI port? If not I don't see how it can pass audio via HDMI since DVI is only a video interface. My laptop has an HDMI port and can pass audio through it's video card through it (video card is an ATi Radeon HD 2600). As for the difference between a preamp and a DAC, a preamp is I believe mainly meant to hook up a lot of sources to and then switch between them, while also acting as a volume control, and a DAC has the specific purpose of taking a digital signal (IE via USB from a computer) and turning it into an analog signal, and don't always have a volume control (sometimes used to transport audio from a computer to some sort of sound system). If you have a home theater receiver, it is effectively a preamp, an amp and a DAC in one. If you were to have a separate preamp and amp, the preamp would take all the line-level signals (such as from a DAC) and pass them to an amp, which you would connect your speakers/headphones to.

Some info I looked up after writing all that on Wikipedia: This is a DAC, This is a Preamp

Hope that clears it up and wasn't too confusing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #367 of 981
DAC out has no volume control. Pre-amp out uses the headphone amp output, but at the back instead of through the headphone socket.

Check the FAQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #369 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your GTX260 have an HDMI port? If not I don't see how it can pass audio via HDMI since DVI is only a video interface. My laptop has an HDMI port and can pass audio through it's video card through it (video card is an ATi Radeon HD 2600). As for the difference between a preamp and a DAC, a preamp is I believe mainly meant to hook up a lot of sources to and then switch between them, while also acting as a volume control, and a DAC has the specific purpose of taking a digital signal (IE via USB from a computer) and turning it into an analog signal, and don't always have a volume control (sometimes used to transport audio from a computer to some sort of sound system). If you have a home theater receiver, it is effectively a preamp, an amp and a DAC in one. If you were to have a separate preamp and amp, the preamp would take all the line-level signals (such as from a DAC) and pass them to an amp, which you would connect your speakers/headphones to.

Some info I looked up after writing all that on Wikipedia: This is a DAC, This is a Preamp

Hope that clears it up and wasn't too confusing
smily_headphones1.gif

GTX260's have a two-pin input on the side for using an internal optical pass-through from your motherboard, and then you can use a DVI>HDMI adapter and it will pass audio over it, I use it for my TV/Home Theater connection.

In fact, all cards from the 9 series and newer have this connector unless the vendor/maker removed it for some strange reason. A lot of the cards don't come with the DVI>HDMI adapter though, but it's not anything special, any DVI>HDMI adapter/cable will do.

I only have the optical output enabled on my computer, and from the back of my motherboard I have both the HDMI out from the graphics card to my TV setup and then from the motherboards *actual* optical toslink connection to my receiver, and both can play out at the same time, meaning they are from the same output on the board, regardless of the physical location of the connector.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #370 of 981
Interesting. I was planning to build a new computer using the GTX260 myself, and this is nice to know. I was under the impression that DVI was capable of video only. I know this is all OT and I apologize, but which motherboard do you use that has internal optical pass-through? Is it basically an optical output internally on the motherboard which you then hook up to the video card? Never heard of this before. My video card actually has an audio processor onboard.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #371 of 981
Hi all, I am wondering if compass can decode 24/96. I tried the 96k/24bit FLAC files from Cardas Audio' web. It just outputs clipping sound. I am wondering if this is a software/setup problem or the compass' problem.
(BTW, i am using coax with compass and the latest version of foobar with ASIO4ALL)

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #372 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I am wondering if compass can decode 24/96. I tried the 96k/24bit FLAC files from Cardas Audio' web. It just outputs clipping sound. I am wondering if this is a software/setup problem or the compass' problem.
(BTW, i am using coax with compass and the latest version of foobar with ASIO4ALL)

I have no trouble with 24/96 regular PCM files...using otachan 0.67 ASIO (Auzen prelude SC---> TOSLink out to Compass) with Media monkey....sounds like something isn't set up right with your comp drivers,Foobar and or hardware.

Peete.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #373 of 981
Been a painful 2 weeks but finally taken delivery of my compass, currently burning in but already loving it. I was previously powering my HD650's via my Yamaha AV amp which was ok but they really starting to shine.

Listening to lots of stuff atm from dnb to classical. Feels like I am hearing some tracks for the first time, clarity so amazing its scary. The sound stage is already very impressive so things can only get even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok back to the music, will report back later.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #374 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I was planning to build a new computer using the GTX260 myself, and this is nice to know. I was under the impression that DVI was capable of video only. I know this is all OT and I apologize, but which motherboard do you use that has internal optical pass-through? Is it basically an optical output internally on the motherboard which you then hook up to the video card? Never heard of this before. My video card actually has an audio processor onboard.

My P5K-E/Wifi-AP (Intel P35 w/ ADI1988B onboard) has the OT passthrough, as do most mobos now-a-days, I bet my olders ones did too, but I never bothered to try as I didn't have an HDTV to hook up.

If you're building a new computer, the GTX275 is a much better price/performance right now if you must stick with nVidia, otherwise check out ATI's 4870/4890, top end cards with awesome price/performance.

You are correct in that DVI is only capable of video, but DVI has unused pins, and when using an adapter to a format that can carry audio, they just use those unused pins to hook it into the other format.

So yeah, lots of interesting information around these subjects... but back to the Compass..

Just passed 350 hours I guess or whatever time it is that all my bass and treble suddenly reappear better than ever :p It happened while listening today, it all just got better and better as I kept listening then the bass just threw me back and then the treble started to clear up a lot, was super fun!

I'm very happy with this amp, it's certainly been a trip through my library haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back