The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #5,401 of 6,329
apparently I checked your gearlist and suprisingly you have hd800s. how do you compare radiance to the hd800s? i know its apples and oranges but I just wanted to know your opinion . thanks!

I don't think the Radiance are a downgrade in sound quality to the U12t. I think the two are probably in the same neighborhood. The HD800S are about as different from the Radiance as you can get. It's wide, neutral-bright, and detail oriented where the Radiance is somewhat warm, with elevated bass, and not nearly as wide since it's a closed back.

And your English is very good so no need to alologize. 😎

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5,402 of 6,329
Dec 10, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #5,403 of 6,329
I am looking for A closed headphone to upgrade my Elegia in around 1000€ used. I have been pondering about Ether C Flow, Focal Radiance and maybe something else. I listen to edm mostly with some movie scores springled in sometimes. My open backs are the Empyrean and the close backs would be used for music plus gaming.

Any suggestions or should I save some more for ZMF Verite C or Stellia?

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #5,405 of 6,329
I am looking for A closed headphone to upgrade my Elegia in around 1000€ used. I have been pondering about Ether C Flow, Focal Radiance and maybe something else. I listen to edm mostly with some movie scores springled in sometimes. My open backs are the Empyrean and the close backs would be used for music plus gaming.

The Radiance are a large step up from the Elegia's. I bought an open box set from Headphones.com in the US and paid $990.00US.

Very happy with the purchase!

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #5,406 of 6,329

I have a Focal Celestee and the ether c flow 1.1. my personal preference between the 2 is the ether c flow. For my preference there is nothing the Celestee does better. Celestee is getting cheap on the used market though. I have also tried Stellia and VC, for me it wasn't worth the extra money spent, might be different for others.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #5,408 of 6,329
Listening session coming up this week to compare the Focal Celestee and Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd generation).

I'll give the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO, Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire, Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back and despite being out of budget Focal Stellia a try as well.

I sold my Denon AH-D9200. They were great but did not fit very well and I did not like the sound signature. I prefer a more darker sound.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #5,409 of 6,329

Having owned the Radiance and Stellia, and being a current owner of a Verité Closed, I’d say there are some major differences to factor in.

Any ZMF dynamic headphones are high-impedance, so your amplifier needs to play well with them.

The Radiance has a warmer, more mid-bass focused sound vs. the more balanced Stellia. With the right amplifier, I would suggest the ZMF Eikon if you are looking for the Stellia-like balanced sound.

It really depends on your other gear and sound signature preferences. But both the Radiance and Eikon are in your budget range.

(Disclaimer: I’m a huge fan of the Eikon, which with the right amp does nearly everything well, minus a wide sound stage (which is the Verité Closed’s greatest strength). In my view, the Eikon does most of what the Stellia does for a lot less money- you just need to have the right amp…)

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #5,410 of 6,329

Focals are really good for EDM, like really good. Convince me audio said he thinks Stellia is the best headphone in the world for EDM, and he owns a Susvara lol.

I'd say Stellia is the best headphone I've heard for EDM. Verite C would be my choice over Stellia for vocals and piano, but EDM, no chance, Focal takes it. I have compared them side by side a fair bit for electronic music too. Focal is more energetic, defined, and exciting in its presentation. VC is more laid back, romantic and warm. They're very different.

Just my two cents

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #5,411 of 6,329
Listening session coming up this week to compare the Focal Celestee and Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd generation).

I'll give the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO, Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire, Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back and despite being out of budget Focal Stellia a try as well.

I sold my Denon AH-D9200. They were great but did not fit very well and I did not like the sound signature. I prefer a more darker sound.
If you don't like any of the demos, I would highly recommend the Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Detail and resolution are comparable to the 9200, but it is darker in the upper frequencies. It just sits very right for me. The Gjallarhorn is also more dynamic with more punch and slam, plus it has a much larger soundstage, even bigger than many open backs I've tried. I can zone in on a particular instrument better, and instrument separation is even better imo. My favorite closed back by a good margin.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #5,412 of 6,329
If you don't like any of the demos, I would highly recommend the Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Detail and resolution are comparable to the 9200, but it is darker in the upper frequencies. It just sits very right for me. The Gjallarhorn is also more dynamic with more punch and slam, plus it has a much larger soundstage, even bigger than many open backs I've tried. I can zone in on a particular instrument better, and instrument separation is even better imo. My favorite closed back by a good margin.

I have to admit these are completely new to me. Much to learn it seems!

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #5,413 of 6,329
IMG_7850.jpeg

I have sung the praises of the oft-overlooked (in my opinion) Beyerdynamic DT 150 so often (here and here). As I have written before, they are to my ears the best closed-back headphones under $500, and I would pick them any day over the E-MU Teak, DT 1770 Pro, or Shure SRH1540.

But perhaps one of the highest praises that I can accord them is that out of my recently acquired FiiO K7, they sound remarkably excellent even swapping from the brilliant Hifiman Edition XS. I wouldn't have thought it, having run the DT 150 out of a variety of amps--amongst them the iFi ZEN CAN, iFi micro iDSD Signature, JDS Atom Amp+, JDS Element II, Gustard H10, Drop + THX AAA 789, Schiit Asgard 3--but they have scaled in such an astounding way with the K7.

I'll highlight their standout qualities here for posterity:

+ Near-linear response with EDT 100T pads
+ Inviting, organic, analog, vinyl-esque tonality
+ Immense soundstage and sense of scale
+ Impressive dynamism and sense of realism
+ Sublime mids: open, transparent, expressive and vibrant
+ Noteworthy treble extension, air, and refinement: wonderful sparkle, shimmer, and delicateness
+ Linear bass response with respectable extension, control, definition, and dtexture
+ Sublime with classic rock, jazz, and older recordings
+ Overall excellent technicalities: clarity, detail, separation
+ Built like a tank

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #5,414 of 6,329
Liric vs Stellia? Anyone got comparisons? I am being offered Stellia for the same amount as Liric and am wondering should I pick it over Liric?

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #5,415 of 6,329
Liric vs Stellia? Anyone got comparisons? I am being offered Stellia for the same amount as Liric and am wondering should I pick it over Liric?
Take the Liric if you plan to also use it as a portable headphone.
Take the Stellia if you plan to only use it for home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back