The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #5,431 of 6,351
If you don’t mind me asking, what are the differences you notice between ATH-AWAS and VC? Not a lot of folks have listened to both so it’s always interesting and beneficial to see what people think
If you look at the first page of this thread, I have a comparison somewhere of these two. I had both at one point, sold both.

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #5,432 of 6,351
My front end is a WiiM Mini into a FiiO K9Pro AKM via toslink. I stream using Amazon Music HD. I mostly listen to jazz with some blues and rock thrown in for good measure.
I was using Audio Technica ATH-AWAS cans. I really like them. They were my first pair of quality headphones. The bass does roll off pretty heavily but I am generally happy with them.
As with most of you, I was bitten by the bug and kept wondering what others would sound like. Being in central Illinois (the audio desert), it isn't easy to audition anything other than Beats and Bose so I am forced to purchase and return or re-sell anything I don't like. It's an expensive way to try new gear.

I recently purchased a pair of ZMF VC in Leppard wood directly from ZMF. I also purchased a pair of pre-owned Fostex TR-X00 from the head-fi classifieds.
I like the detail of the ZMF. I also think they are very comfortable. However, for $2,400, I must say that I was not at all blown away by them as I had expected and hoped to be. They are just meh. I can't put my finger on it but perhaps they are just a bit too warm? Maybe I prefer a bit more "zing". I'm not sure. I'm not ready to sell them just yet but I am having a hard time justifying keeping them.
The Fostex are not very comfortable for longer listening sessions. However, they are really enjoyable "fun" to listen to. I like the overall sound. They are not as detailed as the ZMF or the AWAS but I really enjoy them. I am going to try some Dekoni nuggets on the headband and a pair of Dekoni velour pads.

All of that being said, how do the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic compare to the ZMF VC? Can anyone recommend an over the ear closed back under $2k with good bass extension and some liveliness?
Can't speak about Rognir Dynamic, but Rognir Planer blow VC outta the water on almost every level. The only area where VC have the edge is in terms of mid-bass bloom, though for some people - myself included - that's a undesirable aspect rather than an appealing character. I had the VC for about a year or so; good cans for relaxing, but very source dependent and also very genre picky. Wouldn't buy again.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #5,433 of 6,351
Can't speak about Rognir Dynamic, but Rognir Planer blow VC outta the water on almost every level. The only area where VC have the edge is in terms of mid-bass bloom, though for some people - myself included - that's a undesirable aspect rather than an appealing character. I had the VC for about a year or so; good cans for relaxing, but very source dependent and also very genre picky. Wouldn't buy again.
One would hope so. The Rognir planar are a grand more than the VC.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #5,434 of 6,351
One would hope so. The Rognir planar are a grand more than the VC.
I think at one point they were both around the same 3k price. Prices have gone up and down over the last couple of years on both headphones and also vary according to which region you buy them (the LTD VC I had were bought from EU at just over 3k...)

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,435 of 6,351
If you look at the first page of this thread, I have a comparison somewhere of these two. I had both at one point, sold both.
Your comparison post is what first made me aware of the AWAS and start seriously considering it!

If I were to propose an upgrade chain, it does seem like what a few folks here have done is ultimately AWAS -> VC/AWKT -> Rognir Planar, but I don't know if there are any posts here going into pros/cons or what you get going from AWAS->VC->Rognir Planar in particular. There seems no question for me anyway that if you want a wooden closed back with soundstage and don't necessarily want a bass monster you would go for the Rognir Planar as endgame (even if it is the bass-tuned version).

AWAS is a bit of a mystery to me with very few reviews out there that I've seen. Some mention good soundstage, others mention small soundstage with good imaging. All mention good mids and rolled off bass and treble, which is why I think a direct comparison between AWAS and VC would be beneficial for me and perhaps more folks.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,436 of 6,351
Your comparison post is what first made me aware of the AWAS and start seriously considering it!

If I were to propose an upgrade chain, it does seem like what a few folks here have done is ultimately AWAS -> VC/AWKT -> Rognir Planar, but I don't know if there are any posts here going into pros/cons or what you get going from AWAS->VC->Rognir Planar in particular. There seems no question for me anyway that if you want a closed back with soundstage and don't necessarily want a bass monster you would go for the Rognir Planar as endgame (even if it is the bass-tuned version).

AWAS is a bit of a mystery to me with very few reviews out there that I've seen. Some mention good soundstage, others mention small soundstage with good imaging. All mention good mids and rolled off bass and treble, which is why I think a direct comparison between AWAS and VC would be beneficial for me and perhaps more folks.
AWAS -> VC/AWKT -> Rognir Planar is a nice upgrade chain, indeed.

I think in the end it'll come down to taste. VC is highly venerated for a reason. AWAS/AWKT are more sleeper headphones, both are excellent, and both sell for very cheap on the classifieds because they tend to fly under the radar.

Rognir planar - for me and for others - is the only closed-back that doesn't sound closed-back (and personally I would *not* say the same about DCA Stealth).

AWAS from memory has good imaging but an intimate presentation. Mids are for sure the star of the show - nicely textured with no grain or shouty qualities. You're not going to get anything like "slam" from them, not really highly technical precision. But they have a great timbre and something very likeable about the overall presentation. AWKT are slightly more niche. If you're a fan of orchestral music/jazz/fusion, they work very well. But for anything with thumbing energy, less so.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #5,437 of 6,351
Absolutely enjoying the Celestee. Now in the market for a cheap(er) closed-back at the office. I do not need ANC and I also do not need bluetooth.

I was thinking of the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X. Any other recommendations in that price segment?

I prefer a balanced dark, warm sound.
I would be interested as well ^^ I Already have the Sony M1a2 But it is too boomy and low resolution but Portability is top notch.

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,438 of 6,351
Absolutely enjoying the Celestee. Now in the market for a cheap(er) closed-back at the office. I do not need ANC and I also do not need bluetooth.

I was thinking of the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X. Any other recommendations in that price segment?

Perhaps try to find a set of B&O H6 headphones. I would still consider this one of the best closed backs I've heard under 400 bucks, and they can be found for much less.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #5,439 of 6,351
Focal radiance vs denon d7200 which one would you choose and why if all was relative and the same price?

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #5,440 of 6,351
Focal radiance vs denon d7200 which one would you choose and why if all was relative and the same price?
Personally I have yet to hear one Focal model I like (what they seem most proud of, i.e. their very „dynamic“ behavior is what I dislike most, it feeling overly aggressive and snappy in a bad way to me), I’d of course go with the D7200, which I quite liked.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,441 of 6,351
That's tough. I've owned both and wound up selling them. Both similar and different in different ways.
The 7200 is definitely one of the darker cans I've heard, meaning that the upper mids and lower treble are rather reserved. That didn't bother me terribly as I prefer a slightly dark signature. They did sound a little loose, but it can be tightened up with some simple mods. Detail and resolution actually weren't bad, definitely a step down from the 9200, and a step up from the 5200. A smooth ride for sure with nice tonality, slightly warm and organic.
To me, the Radiance was just okay. It didn't do anything special for my ears, like nothing really stood out. It was fairly balanced with a little extra kick in the sub and mid bass. I heard a slight peak somewhere in the upper mids, with a metallic hint I didn't care for (common with Focal in my experience). Soundstage was small, smaller than the 7200. I also thought the imaging was a tad better on the 7200. Instrument separation was similar I believe, but there was a slightly better sense of air in the 7200. I don't think the Radiance is worth the coin imo, but I can count on many others disagreeing. I much preferred the open back Clear MG, which was better in every faucet, plus it didn't have that metallic ting, not as much anyways.
I landed on the Kennerton Gjallarhorn as my end game closed back. It really hits the spot, especially for all of the rock and metal I listen to. Honestly, I'd probably take the Kennerton Magni over the Radiance and 7200. Just my subjective opinion of course.

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #5,442 of 6,351
That's tough. I've owned both and wound up selling them. Both similar and different in different ways.
The 7200 is definitely one of the darker cans I've heard, meaning that the upper mids and lower treble are rather reserved. That didn't bother me terribly as I prefer a slightly dark signature. They did sound a little loose, but it can be tightened up with some simple mods. Detail and resolution actually weren't bad, definitely a step down from the 9200, and a step up from the 5200. A smooth ride for sure with nice tonality, slightly warm and organic.
To me, the Radiance was just okay. It didn't do anything special for my ears, like nothing really stood out. It was fairly balanced with a little extra kick in the sub and mid bass. I heard a slight peak somewhere in the upper mids, with a metallic hint I didn't care for (common with Focal in my experience). Soundstage was small, smaller than the 7200. I also thought the imaging was a tad better on the 7200. Instrument separation was similar I believe, but there was a slightly better sense of air in the 7200. I don't think the Radiance is worth the coin imo, but I can count on many others disagreeing. I much preferred the open back Clear MG, which was better in every faucet, plus it didn't have that metallic ting, not as much anyways.
I landed on the Kennerton Gjallarhorn as my end game closed back. It really hits the spot, especially for all of the rock and metal I listen to. Honestly, I'd probably take the Kennerton Magni over the Radiance and 7200. Just my subjective opinion of course.
Wow thanks for the thorough comparison. I really enjoyed the d5200. Found it engaging and fun for a closed back. I have had the original clear and enjoyed it but got annoyed at the metallic underpinnings of the upper mids. Does seem to be a focal thing but I absolutely love my focal car speakers which show nothing of that sort in the headphones.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #5,443 of 6,351

I would be interested as well ^^ I Already have the Sony M1a2 But it is too boomy and low resolution but Portability is top notch.

I've owned the DT 700 Pro X twice. They're a solid choice for a relatively affordable, easy-to-drive, well-isolating, solidly-built, comfortable, and well-balanced closed-back. Somewhat dark tilt, hefty low-end, and full-bodied, warm-leaning mids. The other option that comes to mind is the Meze 99 Classics / Noir, which I've only auditioned, but left me unimpressed for their price tag (Classics).

I still have the Sony MDR-1AM2 and the DT 700 Pro X are significant step up.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #5,445 of 6,351
Denon D7200 vs Fostex TH-610 vs TR-X00? I'm not sure which Denon and Fostex are cousins.
If the TR-X is the Drop cooperation, these are more related to the newer Fostex (I.e. made by Fostex) while the Denon x200 series uses different drivers (although a similar concept) and are not made by Fostex anymore
The old Denon 2000/5000/7000 series were made by Fostex, they parted ways afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back