The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 24, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #5,446 of 6,351
If the TR-X is the Drop cooperation, these are more related to the newer Fostex (I.e. made by Fostex) while the Denon x200 series uses different drivers (although a similar concept) and are not made by Fostex anymore
The old Denon 2000/5000/7000 series were made by Fostex, they parted ways afterwards
Good to know. Thank you!

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #5,447 of 6,351
I've owned the DT 700 Pro X twice. They're a solid choice for a relatively affordable, easy-to-drive, well-isolating, solidly-built, comfortable, and well-balanced closed-back. Somewhat dark tilt, hefty low-end, and full-bodied, warm-leaning mids. The other option that comes to mind is the Meze 99 Classics / Noir, which I've only auditioned, but left me unimpressed for their price tag (Classics).

I still have the Sony MDR-1AM2 and the DT 700 Pro X are significant step up.

Thank you. Purchased the DT 700 Pro X and you were absolutely right. They are great! Merry Christmas!

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #5,448 of 6,351
That was interesting. I have the older Signature Pro model, which I like a lot. On appearance, it looks a bit cheap but the build is outstanding and the design is suitably understated for everyday/outdoor use. It seems from your description the Master and Pro share similar attributes, maybe the Master variant is even more refined. For the pads, I'd recommend these - https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/fix90/ They'll improve comfort quite a bit, though clamp pressure still feels quite tight at least on Signature Pro.

I've seen the Master before, but sadly the gold plating totally rules them out for me as headphones I can use out and about in a discrete way. Beyond that, I just loathe gold on any kind of audio equipment more generally. I hope the next iteration will return to all black.
Thank you for these pads, just picked myself up a pair.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #5,449 of 6,351
Which closed backs provide a concert-hall / orchestra-hall soundstage similar to the MDR-Z1R? I would have to assume the Sony MDR-R10 replica also does something similar (I don’t remember who does it, maybe ES)?

I know the general recommendations for soundstage with closed backs from midfi to TOTL include the following in no particular order:

Sennheiser 820
ATH-AWAS/AWKT
Fostex TH900
Shure SRH1540
Kennerton Gjallarhorn/Rognir
Sony MDR-Z1R
ZMF VC
Beyerdynamic T5
Meze Liric

I’m sure I’m missing a few in there and I have my own reasons for eliminating a number of the above from my list. Frankly I’m debating between repurchasing the MDR-Z1R or gambling with one of the ATH headphones but I thought I’d check in for more feedback here. I’m not making any quick decisions as I still need to spend more time with my Atriums but they would need quite the transformation for me to keep them.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #5,450 of 6,351
Which closed backs provide a concert-hall / orchestra-hall soundstage similar to the MDR-Z1R? I would have to assume the Sony MDR-R10 replica also does something similar (I don’t remember who does it, maybe ES)?

I know the general recommendations for soundstage with closed backs from midfi to TOTL include the following in no particular order:

Sennheiser 820
ATH-AWAS/AWKT
Fostex TH900
Shure SRH1540
Sony MDR-Z1R
ZMF VC
Beyerdynamic T5
Meze Liric

I’m sure I’m missing a few in there and I have my own reasons for eliminating a number of the above from my list. Frankly I’m debating between repurchasing the MDR-Z1R or gambling with one of the ATH headphones but I thought I’d check in for more feedback here. I’m not making any quick decisions as I still need to spend more time with my Atriums but they would need quite the transformation for me to keep them.
You can check Rognir with default pads if you don’t need loads of mid-bass or HiFiMAN HE-R10P

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,451 of 6,351

Sennheiser 820
ATH-AWAS/AWKT
Fostex TH900
Shure SRH1540
Sony MDR-Z1R
ZMF VC
Beyerdynamic T5
Meze Liric

I can comment on two of these:
- Shure SRH-1540: Excellent headphones in general, but not for a large soundstage.
- Verité Closed: Best soundstage for a closed-back that I’ve heard, and it’s known for that. 😊

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #5,452 of 6,351
The old Denon 2000/5000/7000 series were made by Fostex, they parted ways afterwards

lol.....this makes it sound like they were in a torrid love affair

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,453 of 6,351
You can check Rognir with default pads if you don’t need loads of mid-bass or HiFiMAN HE-R10P
Ah I’ve tried the Kennerton Vali but I believe they use the same headbands across all of their headphones and ultimately I don’t find their system for headbands to be comfortable. Granted the Rognir are lighter in weight however I doubt they’d really be comfortable for me. Comfort has been a priority as I wear headphones almost daily and I’ll have them on for 6+ hours at a time so the weight, pads, and the headband need to all be top notch for my use.

With the Hifiman HE-R10P I’m not sure if I’ve read a single good review of that headphone - almost unanimously what I’ve heard are folks saying it is overpriced and outperformed by the ES variant.

I can comment on two of these:
- Shure SRH-1540: Excellent headphones in general, but not for a large soundstage.
- Verité Closed: Best soundstage for a closed-back that I’ve heard, and it’s known for that. 😊
Would you describe the VC soundstage as open sounding such as sound dissipates into the air like an outdoor concert or would you describe the soundstage as large but contained like a concert hall or other indoor music venue? What I liked so much about the MDR-Z1R was the sense of space they provided, almost like the sound extends outward but reverbs back in a way. I’m not sure how best to describe it but when the song was mixed correctly the headphone had a certain thickness and presence that I haven’t heard in other headphones I’ve tried.

On a whim I got the Atrium instead of the VC and I think it’s shown me that I just prefer closed headphones to open, I am still curious about the VC but unsure if I’ll continue trying ZMF as I’m ultimately not interested in tube amps.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #5,454 of 6,351
Ah I’ve tried the Kennerton Vali but I believe they use the same headbands across all of their headphones and ultimately I don’t find their system for headbands to be comfortable. Granted the Rognir are lighter in weight however I doubt they’d really be comfortable for me. Comfort has been a priority as I wear headphones almost daily and I’ll have them on for 6+ hours at a time so the weight, pads, and the headband need to all be top notch for my use.

With the Hifiman HE-R10P I’m not sure if I’ve read a single good review of that headphone - almost unanimously what I’ve heard are folks saying it is overpriced and outperformed by the ES variant.

Would you describe the VC soundstage as open sounding such as sound dissipates into the air like an outdoor concert or would you describe the soundstage as large but contained like a concert hall or other indoor music venue? What I liked so much about the MDR-Z1R was the sense of space they provided, almost like the sound extends outward but reverbs back in a way. I’m not sure how best to describe it but when the song was mixed correctly the headphone had a certain thickness and presence that I haven’t heard in other headphones I’ve tried.

On a whim I got the Atrium instead of the VC and I think it’s shown me that I just prefer closed headphones to open, I am still curious about the VC but unsure if I’ll continue trying ZMF as I’m ultimately not interested in tube amps.
Comfort on Rognir is close to perfect for me, but everyone's head comes in different shapes and colours.

Personally, I found VC soundstage rather intimate and certainly not expansive or open in any sense. The presentation is like being in a small bar in Oregon listening to a wistful folk singer play ballads on an acoustic guitar. Concert hall it ain't.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,455 of 6,351
The presentation is like being in a small bar in Oregon listening to a wistful folk singer play ballads on an acoustic guitar. Concert hall it ain't.
To me, that’s the Eikon. 😊

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,456 of 6,351
To me, that’s the Eikon. 😊
I'd agree with that also. Had the Eikon before VC; Eikon is like the smaller brother trying to peer over bigger brother's shoulders at the local gig. VC you can see a little wider, but you're still at the same bar.

BTW: I really like Oregon.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,457 of 6,351
Would you describe the VC soundstage as open sounding such as sound dissipates into the air like an outdoor concert or would you describe the soundstage as large but contained like a concert hall or other indoor music venue?

To my ears and with my gear (below), the VC is the latter (large/contained space).

I will note that to your point, ZMFs dynamics (like the VC) ARE high-impedance, no getting around that. But there are some good (and not necessarily super-expensive) SS amps you can use with them (Cayin makes one, for example).

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #5,458 of 6,351
I'd agree with that also. Had the Eikon before VC; Eikon is like the smaller brother trying to peer over bigger brother's shoulders at the local gig. VC you can see a little wider, but you're still at the same bar.

BTW: I really like Oregon.
Fair point- the Eikon is indeed a lot like that, nice analogy!

I figured you weren’t knocking Oregon 😊, and side note- I’m “AudioDuck” because of my degree from, and strong allegiance to, the University of Oregon… you might have figured that already though. 🦆💚💛🦆 😁

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #5,459 of 6,351
Fair point- the Eikon is indeed a lot like that, nice analogy!

I figured you weren’t knocking Oregon 😊, and side note- I’m “AudioDuck” because of my degree from, and strong allegiance to, the University of Oregon… you might have figured that already though. 🦆💚💛🦆 😁
Ah ok, didn't know that about the Duck relation, though I have been to the University of Oregon the duck element must have passed me by. Mind you, the locals were a bit odd...a snapshot from a few years back.

IMGP3347-1.jpg

Sorry - very off-topic!

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,460 of 6,351
As previously mentioned rognir is decently comfortable, especially for the level of sound you're getting which is essentially TOTL grade (to my ear I found it surpassed utopia for details and matches d8000 pro) and in a closed-back no less. Compared to MDR-Z1R it does have a significantly wider soundstage, but with the stock perforated pads I actually found it to be too wide to be considered concert hall, it is more of an outdoor feeling; if you put closed pads on it then it became more of that indoor experience you're looking for, still wide but more controlled, in this sense it became the quintessential closed-back experience where you basically get sucked into your own little music world. If you do decide to purchase from Kennerton, then make sure you ask them for ECL-03 pads, as they only come with perforated pads by default.

Actually if reverb is all you're looking for, and don't mind open back and don't care about bass, then Utopia is probably the very best in this regard; it doesn't have a wide stage by any stretch (beaten by many closed-backs) but its sense of depth and especially reverb was absolutely amazing, this was its party trick in an otherwise sterile and relatively boring headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back