The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #5,371 of 6,351
If I may ask, which cans you'd consider as good or close to your C Flow, of course considering only those you're familiar with?
Zmf VC came close but has less comfort.
Z1r is good but a bit bright for me
Stellia is good, but narrow soundstage and I dislike the patina effect + insane prices for replacement parts.
Th900 is fun (had the blue one), though I can't really consider it a closed back.
T5p.2 was my old time favourite. I know Ether C flow has better comfort.

Ofc your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #5,372 of 6,351
Stellia is good, but narrow soundstage and I dislike the patina effect + insane prices for replacement parts.
Th900 is fun (had the blue one), though I can't really consider it a closed back.

I recently re-bought the T5P 2nd Gen, having owned it probably when this thread was first started all those years ago. Such a great headphone, I'm not sure why I sold it in the first place. After exploring many of the headphones you mentioned in addition to some of the higher-end semi-portable headphones - not least Meze Liric and Aeon 2 Noire - I think the T5P 2nd Gen are by far the best choice for portable use. The fact that they can also be found on 2nd hand market for around 400 Euros if not cheaper makes them all the more compelling, IMO.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,373 of 6,351
I recently re-bought the T5P 2nd Gen, having owned it probably when this thread was first started all those years ago. Such a great headphone, I'm not sure why I sold it in the first place. After exploring many of the headphones you mentioned in addition to some of the higher-end semi-portable headphones - not least Meze Liric and Aeon 2 Noire - I think the T5P 2nd Gen are by far the best choice for portable use. The fact that they can also be found on 2nd hand market for around 400 Euros if not cheaper makes them all the more compelling, IMO.
Yes, the 2. gen was really good... Unfortunately I had a minor discomfort on one side (even forgot which one) due to slightly smaller pad openings than on gen 1 or she DT770 etc.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #5,374 of 6,351
Yes, the 2. gen was really good... Unfortunately I had a minor discomfort on one side (even forgot which one) due to slightly smaller pad openings than on gen 1 or she DT770 etc.
I agree. Stock pads are fairly awful. However, Dekoni Sheepskin pads are a massive improvement for comfort and more or less retain the stock tuning. Worth exploring if you get a chance.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #5,375 of 6,351

How does the T5 Gen2 differ from the T5 Gen3? I have the T5 Gen3 in my collection right now and I really like it's unique presentation. Is the Gen2 enough of an improvement that I should seek one out to replace my Gen3 perhaps?

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #5,377 of 6,351
How does the T5 Gen2 differ from the T5 Gen3? I have the T5 Gen3 in my collection right now and I really like it's unique presentation. Is the Gen2 enough of an improvement that I should seek one out to replace my Gen3 perhaps?
I'm also interested, on the net we read about the ease of driving the T5 3 compared to the 2

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #5,378 of 6,351
Gen2 is more neutral and balanced in tuning. It also precedes 3rd gen, so improvement might be relative here.

I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen T1 and T5, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,379 of 6,351
I'm also interested, on the net we read about the ease of driving the T5 3 compared to the 2
I don’t think there’s much difference with the T5 models, which always sported lower impedance drivers targeting mobile sources.
It’s different for the T1 though, where gen 1 and gen 2 had 600ohm impedance while gen 3 also has a new low impedance driver like the T5

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #5,380 of 6,351

Excellent stuff, thanks a lot and your take on TH900 mirrors mine rather well. These are fun cans indeed :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #5,381 of 6,351
Gen2 is more neutral and balanced in tuning. It also precedes 3rd gen, so improvement might be relative here.

I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen T1 and T5, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Thanks for the answer! I actually really dig my T5 Gen3, but I'm gonna keep an eye out for an opportunity to demo a pair of Gen2s so I can hear the difference. With what these are going for on the used market, it might just make sense to snag a pair to try if I can find one.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #5,382 of 6,351
Good day folks. I am in need of recommendation please. I am on a hunt for a close back headphones on the office or at home or to replace my iem on the go. Could either be good for hiphop rap and also good in general. My favorite iem is 64 audio u12t. Anything equivalent or upgrade from this in a headphone format please? I have been eyeing focal radiance/celestee. Do you guys think i will be wowed or i will like it since I already have u12ts. Thanks everyone for your inputs

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #5,383 of 6,351
The T5 Gen 2 had WAY too much treble for me. With the gen 3 I heard they did a complete 180 degree change.

I had to buy a Schiit Loki to make the gen 2 listenable for me. I was anxious to try the gen 3 when I heard it was so bassy. I found it too bassy and muffled. I then swore off the company for good. :smile:

I also previously had the DT880 (600 Ohm).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #5,384 of 6,351
Good day folks. I am in need of recommendation please. I am on a hunt for a close back headphones on the office or at home or to replace my iem on the go. Could either be good for hiphop rap and also good in general. My favorite iem is 64 audio u12t. Anything equivalent or upgrade from this in a headphone format please? I have been eyeing focal radiance/celestee. Do you guys think i will be wowed or i will like it since I already have u12ts. Thanks everyone for your inputs
Never heard either but from my own experience going from the Moondrop Variations to the Aeon Noire after having only seriously used iems for years took some getting used to. And, even though detail and soundstage is better, everything else is give or take so I wouldn’t expect much from going from the u12t to any 1000ish dollar closed back.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #5,385 of 6,351
The T5 Gen 2 had WAY too much treble for me. With the gen 3 I heard they did a complete 180 degree change.

I had to buy a Schiit Loki to make the gen 2 listenable for me. I was anxious to try the gen 3 when I heard it was so bassy. I found it too bassy and muffled. I then swore off the company for good. :smile:

I also previously had the DT880 (600 Ohm).

The T5 G3 is definitely an acquired taste. I took it in as a partial trade a couple months back and I'm still pad rolling with it as the stock pads don't seem to be the best match for it, but I find it to be uniquely fun for some things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back