The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3,797 of 5,999
I am really thinking about 240 gb IPC and M8 but right now I can't afford both of them at the same time. Geez, being a master student sucks some times, well actually most of the times
frown.gif

Also I read that Rockboxed IPC doesn't work with M8, that's a shame but anyway, I guess I will convert 300 gb of flac to alac and for some of them, I will have to degrade from 24 bit to 16 bit.

Is it really worth it or I should get something plays everything I have just fine? (FiiO X5 or iBasso DX50 or something like that)

(I am ciem guy, I won't get that hard to drive full sized cans like planar magnetics and all)

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,799 of 5,999
Is it possible to get a custom-modded version with coaxial spdif input instead of toslink spdif?

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,800 of 5,999
I have.  Can't remember if I posted in earlier in this thread or the impressions thread, but I mentioned that the 5G Touch and 3G iPad both sound better to me vs. a 2 year old Classic, playing ALAC either on device or streamed over my network.  

This also addresses the earlier poster who stated that the M8 sounded bland.  I'd ask what source he's using, b/c I also thought my initial combo of M8 / Classic / UE10 was disappointing.  I've since improved other components of that chain -- now M8 / 5G Touch / UERM with balanced cables -- and I love this combination.  

The M8 scaled up well, so it was not the singular weak link in my original chain, and now has great synergy with my current components.

That said, the M8 remains much darker vs. other livelier DACs such as the Microstreamer and Dragonfly.  But those obviously lack the M8's sheer power, producing very dynamic, satisfying, grinning sound in my IEMs.   
i have ipod touch 5g, iphone 4, ipod touch4g(still one left) and definitely notice a difference when feeding th hifi-m8, very small though.

But as you point out it can be the difference between blandness and a great sound.

Hmm inalso have an old iphone 3g some where and my wifes iphone 4s i might give them a whirl. Also i would like to try a classic.

Ipod touch 5g best i have tried so far.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,801 of 5,999
Owners of HD800 and/or LCD-2,

Do you guys notice any significant improvements over the balanced out of M8 versus the single ended? I'm wondering if it merits investing a different set of cables with balanced termination for these two headphones in particular. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3,802 of 5,999

Do you guys notice any significant improvements over the balanced out of M8 versus the single ended? I'm wondering if it merits investing a different set of cables with balanced termination for these two headphones in particular. 

It isn't precisely easy to swap back and forth between the two, but I want to say that I get a bit better separation and ambiance with the balanced out using my HD800s.  Sounds a bit punchier, too.  I notice it on my Momentums as well.  It is subtle, though.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3,803 of 5,999
Has anyone in the January to May pre-order batch heard from Stacie? The units were supposed to ship on Wednesday once the cables were received, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,806 of 5,999
Has anyone in the January to May pre-order batch heard from Stacie? The units were supposed to ship on Wednesday once the cables were received, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

I spoke too soon. Just received an email from Kenny saying that my M8 has been shipped. Looking forward to checking this thing out first-hand. Hope you guys receive similar news soon.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,807 of 5,999
Scratch that, Kenny just emailed me with a tracking number. Apparently the tracking order was initiated on Wednesday, so it looks like they are running on schedule. Hope everyone else gets their tracking number as well.

Should arrive Monday. Can't wait.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3,808 of 5,999

Like FraGGLeR I didn't notice a significant difference balanced / single ended though there seems to be a slight advantage to running balanced.  The caveat is that it's hard to do a back to back comparison, and I haven't be willing to do the work for a blind A/B comparison.  I also have little motivation since my HD800 is already balanced for my GS-Xmk2 to it's easier for me to stay balanced.

--Mark

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3,809 of 5,999
I used M8 paired with T1 with balanced cable and I can definitely distinguish a difference. May not be obvious on some tracks but if I play Nirvana songs I can definitely hear a wider soundstage for balanced.

Also volume appears to be better in balanced making the bass a tiny bit punchier but not much compared to single ended.

I use M8 on the desk and on the go. I've been trying to duplicate the same effect with T1 on the desk when I'm on the go with iems (mostly with H-200) but getting a balanced cable on my IEM is not as easy as I thought.

Soon as my JH16PRO arrives I believe there are many custom cable options for this ciem I will definitely try it balanced with M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back