The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,701 of 5,999
Quote:
What is the best i device to use with the M8? I would guess the iPod touch?

It depends what you are using it for and what you choose to pair it with.
There are eight! different versions of the Hifi-m8.

see the first page of the impressions thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread

I use an ipod touch 64GB with mine(I use FLAC on flacplayer app).  Some would prefer the ipod classic due to the amount of GB space avaliable.

I myself choose the idevice version backplate,
with[size=13.63636302947998px] Unbalanced: 1/4″ jack, 1/8″ jack and Balanced 4-Pin XLR jack -frontplate.[/size]

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,703 of 5,999
Quote:
LX version is avaiable now. Lets rock.

I don't understand which one is shipping. They are all "LX" models looks like:

http://centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=264

I take it this does work with the new lightning connector ipods? Sorry, I have not been following every post in this thread. 

I'm definitely confused; what's the difference between the M8 and the M8 LX?

EDIT- looks like the LX versions do not support iDevices.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,705 of 5,999
Quote:
LX version is avaiable now. Lets rock.

Yes, we opened up the LX in the store today. Thank you for your note, IronLung!

LX does not require the complexity of Apple compatibility, so it's ready to go.

For those of us who prefer the iPhone input (Regular M8), there are some more hoops to jump through, but the basics are definitely already there.

All 1/4"connectors in house have been fixed and we are standing by to receive those units, which have the old connector to fix them too. Right now, just waiting on the 24/96 situation.

@ExpatInJapan -- what's the highest SR that Fostex, Sony and CLAS support?

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,709 of 5,999
How soon HIFI-M8 will be on sale?
I need iDevice support  (((
about another four weeks according to the centrance hifi-m8 blog.

The blog has been quite active the last week or so, lots of news.
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,711 of 5,999
@Mgoodman.
SR ? Not sure what you mean, sorry.

Sound resolution?

Do you bitrates? My technical knowledge is limited and also my tech vocab.

Pretty sure mgoodman refers to Sample Rate, as in 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192...
Doh!, yeah just came to me now also as my beautiful 2yr old son woke me at 2am by screaming. Groan...

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,712 of 5,999
Got my LX yesterday 
biggrin.gif
 and listened for about 1.5 hours last night.  I was blown away.  My 44.1k files sounded great, my 88.2k and 96k files sounded fabulous, and my 176.4k and 192k files sounded incredible.  This is all with the default settings.  There's definitely more-than-adequate power for my LCD-3s and overall it's a significant improvement over my DACport in all aspects.  (No surprise there.)  More impressions later (and I'll post them in the Impressions thread.)  THANK YOU, Michael and gang for putting out such a great product--it was exciting to be part of its development!

A couple of comments/questions:

1. I noticed that the leftmost LED comes on if I turn the M8 off while leaving it connected to my laptop's USB port.  The AC adapter is disconnected.  Is this normal, and does it mean that the M8 is charging via USB?

2. I felt compelled to stick some tiny rubber feet to the bottom of the unit, as I didn't want the bare metal sitting on my desktop.  (See pic.)  Makes a nice addition, IMO!

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,713 of 5,999
Russell,

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

The answer to your first question is yes, the light comes on because the unit charges via USB when powered off.

Regarding the rubber feet, we felt that keeping the rubber bands around the unit, even when no phone is attached, provides adequate protection from table tops and slipping. It looks pretty cool also!

-Kenny

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2,714 of 5,999
Quote:
Right now, just waiting on the 24/96 situation.

@ExpatInJapan -- what's the highest SR that Fostex, Sony and CLAS support?

Sample Rates.
My understanding is that the Fostex, Sony and CLAS are limited by the ipods standard default output, the exception being the ipad 2/3 which has been shown to play high sample rates with CCK and separate Dac/AMPs.

The Fostex hp_p1 has a 32 bit DAC but when playing 24/96 it is downsampled (probably to 16/48) as below using flacplayer app.

(Fostex doesnt provide much spec information).
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-P1.shtml#3

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/product-PHA1/

Wolfson WM8740 (ever popular DAC as also used in the AK100, Fiio x3, upcoming ibasso dx50 etc).

Maximum audio sample rate and resolution 96kHz/26bit.
Specs for ipod/iphone/ipad  Up to 48kHz/24 bit.

The CLAS has several editions. I cannot comment confidently on their specs but the blog post below covers it well and may also be useful in relation to the other idevice DAC/Amps.

Here is a blog post by Cypher labs about bitrates, ipods and CLAS
http://cypherlabs.com/blog/post/bit-rate-frequency

RE:CLAS db and android use
http://cypherlabs.com/blog/post/android-devices-play-high-resolution-audio-using-the-algorhythm-solo-db

In summary:

I dont believe that these other DAC/AMPs have ventured far into unlocking the potential of the ipods/touch/iphone to play high resolution files natively as Centrance has set out to do.

ipods native or maximum output by OS limitations varies according to many sources I have read (referring to models from recent years).
.......some say 16/41,others say 16/48 and so on... 24/48........

For me it is largely inconclusive although the CLAS/cypherlabs blog post seems to point to 16/48.

I do hope Centrance continues in their quest to bring us higher bitrates/SR via our idevices and Hifi-M8.
personally the sweet spot for me is 24/48, although the grail of 24/96 would be the icing on the cake.

Corrections and additions on my inconclusive and poorly researched opinion posted at 3am certainly welcome.
wink_face.gif

Thanks also ameford!

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,715 of 5,999
Thank you. This is what we came up with as well.

Sounds like CEntrance may be the first company to unlock the 24/96 potential of newer iDevices. However, we are not done yet. We are banging the collective heads up against a wall at the moment. Wouldn't be the first time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back