The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,731 of 5,999
Quote:
So far, I've got an iDevice to stream 24/192 (but the device it was connected to wasn't happy with the output, which is another issue). Streaming high-res definitely works. Playing back greater than 16/48 files on an iDevice will probably depend on what Apple allows in iOS7 and beyond.

By iDevice, are you referring to an iPad or an iPod or both?  iPhone??

Do you have any way of determining if it is true 24 bit resolution or 16 bit padded with 8 zeros?

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,732 of 5,999
Quote:
What is the best i device to use with the M8? I would guess the iPod touch?

Quote:
It depends what you are using it for and what you choose to pair it with.
There are eight! different versions of the Hifi-m8.

see the first page of the impressions thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread

I use an ipod touch 64GB with mine(I use FLAC on flacplayer app).  Some would prefer the ipod classic due to the amount of GB space avaliable.

I myself choose the idevice version backplate,
with[size=13.63636302947998px] Unbalanced: 1/4″ jack, 1/8″ jack and Balanced 4-Pin XLR jack -frontplate.[/size]

I will probably go for the current iPod Classic. Those lossless files take up a lot of space. 

BTW, I doubt the older 5th gen. iPods will work with the HiFi M8. It seems that Apple has ceased supporting digital out on those.

Example, this FAQ from another manufacturer's dock states this in no uncertain terms :wink: -

"[size=9.000000pt]Q: [/size][size=9.000000pt]Is there [/size][size=9.000000pt]a complete compatibility list for products that are designed to work with the Dock Box S? [/size]

[size=9.000000pt]No, because changes in functionality of Apple iPod products my come up not only with changes in hardware, but also firm- ware changes can cause different behavior. Apple doesn ́t keep any back compatibility of the products, so older products can exhibit strange acting or it can be completely without function. This is related to revision date of Apple Authentication chip. For example: iPod Classic 6th generation works without any problem, but iPod Classic 5th generation doesn ́t work at all. But generally iPod 5th G was discontinued in production in 2007, so from IT point of view it was in stone age and we can ́t admire that it doesn ́t work. iPod Classic 6th G is still in production, that is why it has full Apple Authentication Chip support. "[/size]

from- http://box-designs.com/inhalt/en/download/PJ-BD-iPod-compatibility-FAQ-210212-EN.pdf

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,736 of 5,999
Quote:

BTW, I doubt the older 5th gen. iPods will work with the HiFi M8. It seems that Apple has ceased supporting digital out on those.

Unfortunately you are right. I just tried my 4th Gen iPod on my M8. It charges, but no sound output from the M8. The headphone out of the iPod still works. iPhone 4S works fine.
--
I did a bit of research. It seems that Wadia Transport is able to extract digital from iPod 5th Gens. Though older Nanos will need to enter "Extended Interface Mode" to extract digital audio. http://www.audiac.nl/wadia-170i-transport/includes/170i-Manual.pdf

I'm guessing that this is the mode that we frequently see when plugged into iPod enabled car audio. So if the M8's firmware can be upgraded to do the same, I believe we can get Digital Output from older iPods. 

--
Was using the M8 connected via USB to my Mac, and playing balanced. After quite sometime it stopped playing music. Perhaps the battery went flat as the battery indicator was blinking. I thought it would charge through USB as well? Or does it not charge enough via USB if it's also being used? This is an issue for desktop use without the power adaptor.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,737 of 5,999
Have anyone try their hifi m8 with galaxy note 2 yet?  I try it before and its work at a show but maybe something have changes.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,738 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:
So far, I've got an iDevice to stream 24/192 (but the device it was connected to wasn't happy with the output, which is another issue). Streaming high-res definitely works. Playing back greater than 16/48 files on an iDevice will probably depend on what Apple allows in iOS7 and beyond.

By iDevice, are you referring to an iPad or an iPod or both?  iPhone??

Do you have any way of determining if it is true 24 bit resolution or 16 bit padded with 8 zeros?

1. Both. Anything with an "i" in front of the name from Apple.
2. No, but it would be pretty crazy if it was down-sampling then padding streamed audio. It is not the kind of stupid thing Apple does*.

*By that, I mean Apple does different kind of seemingly stupid things.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,741 of 5,999
Was using the M8 connected via USB to my Mac, and playing balanced. After quite sometime it stopped playing music. Perhaps the battery went flat as the battery indicator was blinking. I thought it would charge through USB as well? Or does it not charge enough via USB if it's also being used? This is an issue for desktop use without the power adaptor.
USB does not provide sufficient power to run the unit and charge its battery at the same time. We are in a different category of "hungry", due to the complexity of the unit. The blinking light means you have a couple of minutes left before auto shut down. A power adapter is needed to charge if the HiFi-M8 is playing. If the unit is off, then USB will charge it slowly, but we recommend to charge from the supplied adapter always -- much faster.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,743 of 5,999
It is really too bad that we need to choose between LX and iPhone version !. Twice the inventory for Centrance and... Difficult choice for us !

I have the iPhone version on back order since december but... Now i also use a AK100 as source. So now i have 2 sources: my iPhone and my AK100 with optical out !

So .... I'm in trouble Since there is no M8 version With iPhone + optical in :frowning2:(.

HEY Mr Centrance, Will you have soon an universal version with iPhone + optical in ?

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2,744 of 5,999
Quote:
It is really too bad that we need to choose between LX and iPhone version !. Twice the inventory for Centrance and... Difficult choice for us !

I have the iPhone version on back order since december but... Now i also use a AK100 as source. So now i have 2 sources: my iPhone and my AK100 with optical out !

So .... I'm in trouble Since there is no M8 version With iPhone + optical in :frowning2:(.

HEY Mr Centrance, Will you have soon an universal version with iPhone + optical in ?

Can the i device version take USB in from a computer? If so, that would be a good solution to get the best of both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back