The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2,672 of 5,999
my M8 LX SPDIF can`t play form AK100 optical out 24/96khz,24/192 khz ,but 44.1khz work.
anyone M8-LX SPDIF can work High-quality Music ?
This may be the AK100 or something else. LX supports all SPDIF sources up to 24/192. We tested that. However, I have not tried the LX with AK100 at anything other than "stock" resolution.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,673 of 5,999
Slightly off topic, but still related.  How often and in what scenarios are you going to use the M8 portably (i.e. not taking it out to the deck for a leisurely listen or the office)?  I got an HRT MicroStreamer to tide me over until the M8 arrives, but even though it is really tiny, I still find myself listening straight out of my phone for convenience.  Just wondering how people are managing the bulk and if the sound differences really come through when in noisy environments.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,674 of 5,999
Slightly off topic, but still related.  How often and in what scenarios are you going to use the M8 portably (i.e. not taking it out to the deck for a leisurely listen or the office)?  I got an HRT MicroStreamer to tide me over until the M8 arrives, but even though it is really tiny, I still find myself listening straight out of my phone for convenience.  Just wondering how people are managing the bulk and if the sound differences really come through when in noisy environments.
IMHO the sound quality difference is very pronounced. If SQ is your game, you will know.. In noisy environments however, it's a tough call. How noisy? Are you operating a chain saw while listening to your M8? :)
The heft of the unit is the unfortunate price we pay for mediocre sound quality in the iPhone and cheaper earbuds.

Hopefully, the looks will make it easy on the eye.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,676 of 5,999
Quote:
IMHO the sound quality difference is very pronounced. If SQ is your game, you will know.. In noisy environments however, it's a tough call. How noisy? Are you operating a chain saw while listening to your M8?
smily_headphones1.gif

The heft of the unit is the unfortunate price we pay for mediocre sound quality in the iPhone and cheaper earbuds.

Hopefully, the looks will make it easy on the eye.

Oh I don't doubt the sound quality differences, I just know that on buses, even though my IEMs are good at isolation, a lot of noise still gets through which can mask low level detail.  I will do my own testing once I have it in hand, just wondering if the money spent and the added effort to have additional components are outweighed by actual sound quality in portable scenarios.  Sitting at a desk or a coffee shop table, I am sure it will be worth it.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,677 of 5,999
Quote:
Oh I don't doubt the sound quality differences, I just know that on buses, even though my IEMs are good at isolation, a lot of noise still gets through which can mask low level detail.  I will do my own testing once I have it in hand, just wondering if the money spent and the added effort to have additional components are outweighed by actual sound quality in portable scenarios.  Sitting at a desk or a coffee shop table, I am sure it will be worth it.

My only comment here is that a high quality DAC with very low jitter contributes to a fatigue-free listening environment. To me, it's not as much the level of detail (which of course will be masked by outside noises) as it is the ability to listen for a long time and not get tired (your brain gets tired of jitter distortion quickly, once you've developed a sense for it). You won't have much jitter with HiFi-M8, so even on the bus, you will have a much more pleasing experience than that of the stock earbuds plugged into the iphone.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,678 of 5,999
Quote:

Hi FraGGler and the group.

I currently use my iPod with an amp under my lab coat, using a large leather steel tape measure holder on a construction workers utility belt.  As soon as I get the HiFi M8 it is off to home depot for a pouch of some kind that hopefully will not need (much) modification. Even with the XLR adapter the steel tape holder has worked very well (hardly noticeable and NEVER DROPPED).   This works well while walking, shopping, working in the lab or making dinner in the kitchen.  Any strange looks that I get while wearing this setup is more than offset by the quality of the enjoyment that I derive from listening.  These chores seem less mundane and more enjoyable, and I get a sense of accomplishment when finished.  Running and bike riding while wearing a rig that costs about $2500.00 is not something that I would consider doing.  Same reason I leave the AP or the Rolex at home while doing that.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,681 of 5,999
It's a Class A amp, so the power cycle lasts the same regardless of what is hooked up to it.  I get about 6 hours if I have a single pair of IEM's or even if I'm running two similar full-size cans.  Rumor has it that even if you weren't running anything, but the unit was switched on, it would last about the same time.  I don't understand all the tech, I'm just passing on info I have been told or my personal experience.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,682 of 5,999
Quote:
Get yourself a hardhat and complete the ensemble!

(there is supposed to be a Village People image here, but you get the idea)

I am soooooooooooooooooo insulted.  NOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back