The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2,386 of 5,999
Quote:
So here is the big question with the release being near.  What are you going to mainly attach the M8 to?  I think for most people is the ipod.  I definitely pluging it in my Galaxy Note2, Ipad3, and using it as a portable amp/dac for my mac book pro.  I am thinking about getting a nice combo going maybe with the ak100 or ak120 or even the dx100 (which I love but also lost on an international flight).

I seem to be the only one who's going to be using the M8 exclusively with my MacBook Pro and LCD-3's.  (Although I have 2 iPhones and an iPad, I don't use them for music listening.)  The M8 will be a replacement for my old and trusty DACport, which still sounds great, but I'm fully expecting the M8 to surpass it in every respect.  I've got several 24/192 files that I'm anxious to finally hear in full resolution.

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,387 of 5,999
I'm also going to use my M8 with my MBP, its just not my main source yet.  Mostly because I don't own any high res music.  Most of my listening is still on my Touch.

MBP owners have a unique ability to use any HiFi-M8 because of the optical output of the headphone jack.  I'm curious kokushu, which model did you choose?

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,389 of 5,999
Quote:
Originally blogged by mgoodman 
We have shippable firmware here. I'm pushing to ship. Engineers are pushing back, saying "need more tests". We are testing a lot, continuously. We are days away from shipping at this point.

Please, Michael.  Let at least my units be completely checked out before shipping.  The last thing I need after all this time is to end up with a buggy product at the end of this long maturation process.  Don't crater in to the whining of the instant gratification crowd at the last minute.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,390 of 5,999
Understood. We wil make sure it is in good shape. What may happen is the battery meter LEDs (three of them) may still be a little imprecise. That's the internal battle at the moment. They are supposed to show 15%, 50%, 90%.

We are not sure they are spot on those percentages. Fixing them to be more precise could be handled by a subsequent firmware update. Yet I know that nobody wants to perform one unless absolutely necessary.

By the way, our first firmware updater is a Mac utility. Later, we will make one for Windows. We felt that Macs would be more prevalent in this crowd.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,392 of 5,999
Okay, thanks Michael.  Just remember I'm an LX man, too, and I don't have a pad or Mac to my name.  And there's others of us out here, too.  I expect that I can work with some battery charge indication imprecision for a while, if it's not too bad.  How bad is it?  10% error?  20%?  Variable over the charge range?  Worst at the almost depleted end?

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,396 of 5,999
Hey Michael...Maybe the battery meter is going to be like the gas gauge on my car?  Took me a while to learn that the when the level is over 50% the gauge drops slower, and when the level is below 50% it drops faster.  I also had a Cadillac at one time that always seemed to be at less than 1/4 tank whenever it got near a gas station.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,397 of 5,999
Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,399 of 5,999
Quote:
So....... They take a $45 cable, and make a shorter $109 cable out of it...

Seriously, I do get it.  It is a more convenient length, and it looks lots cooler, and they spend time and effort adding this value to it.  Still...

Sadly, when I go to lightning device, I'll need to get two of them.  One for the M8, and one for the CLAS db....

And yes, I totally get its mostly cosmetic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back