The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,835 of 5,999
Now I'm wondering if the RWAK100 would be a better alternative to the HiFi-M8..
Two very different products, but for regular day-to-day portable use I wonder if the M8's SQ will justify carrying a box around..

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,836 of 5,999
Quote:
Now I'm wondering if the RWAK100 would be a better alternative to the HiFi-M8..
Two very different products, but for regular day-to-day portable use I wonder if the M8's SQ will justify carrying a box around..

Eh, pretty sure it will 
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,837 of 5,999
Put in my order last week...am looking forward to hearing using it with my laptop and idevices around the house on my LCD3's, and on the go with my portable cans (which sound depresingly awful compared to LCD3's...which I guess makes sense...).  It sounded awesome with LCD's at RMAF - mind you, in a noisy show room it can be hard to judge - but awesome sound is awesome sound.

Hope that these ship soon so that I can take my LCD's and HiFi M8 on vacation with me this summer.  A big part of the appeal of this is the ability to listen to high-quality tunes when out of town, whether it's for business trips or vacation...

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,838 of 5,999
Michael, I will be exhibiting Chapamn loudspeakers at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach. With the show less than 50 days away, will you be there? I have not Put in for a pre-order, though I would like to..how can I hear this first?

Also, one thing. Those with IOS devices, well they have a strong likely hood of having airport expresses (that can be streamed toslink SP/dif optical) so there is a desire for me to both be able to come home, connect the Hi-fi M8 to a room with a secondary sound system to be able to improve playback. Of course you would use the IOS port for portable use, and possibly in car use with your iPad or iPhone ..but the ability to connect it to the optical output of an airport express is important too.

The input choices now are SP/dif optical and USB, or IOS input and USB . So this is not possible.

There are many USB TO SP/diF CONVERTERS....no SP/dif to USB converters because of host slave issues.

I suppose the only way to do this would be to connect to a second computer via USB... And then control the output of one computer through the other via home sharing... But this assumes you have two computers. The advantage of 2 computers is not being limited to 24/48 files through an IOS device whereas with an OSX computer you can hear 24/192 files. ..and even playback down sampled 24/384 fles.

It just seems that, if you have an IOS device, there is a very good chance you have an computer capable of AirTunes and you would want an airport express and asynchronous DAC to make another high quality zone of music. A lot of people interested in an IOS capable DAC ...likely have the entire Apple ecosystem of AirPort Extreme, airport express, an iPad and a apple laptop and iPhone. I resisted buying into the whole system for feeling that it was redundant...but in many ways it is not. I am certainly not a super wealthy person, but have an iPhone 5', Ipad 2 (soon to upgrade to a 128gb Ipad, and a retina 15" MacBook Pro. I end up bing able to take the smallest screen size I can bear to use with me. It also allows me in the car to set up a personal hotspot with my iPhone and control my laptop wirelessly using the free remote app on my iPad 2 which allows me to stream hi-rez files to my car audio system while controlling it with my iPad using voice commands....ideal for driving.

I suppose one solution is to buy both configurations of the hi-fi M8..... But that ain't gonna happen....lol...it would make more sense for me to buy a used Mac mini for less money to run via home sharing....but if I can avoid running And maintaining another computer, that is preferred.

Are there a lot of other people who use their iPhone/iPad as a remote for their laptop using airport express who would like to see an IOS and a SP/dif?

Or has someone figured out a way to do what I want with the current configuration of the hi-fi M8 with an iPhone, iPad , and a laptop?

I really like the iPad as a remote (lots of screen real estate )compared to the iPhone. I also considered trying to do some sort of home sharing using an iPhone, and controlling things with my iPad...but even if that were possible..what if the phone rings?

Sorry for so many questions in one post.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,839 of 5,999
Yet another delay? "We will have HiFi-M8 prototypes (and possibly finished product) at the show (Newport Beach Show, May 31-June 1)." I put my money down in good faith on November 1st and have been waiting patiently. The last (unkept?) promise was delivery in May after adding another sizeable delay to the schedule back in February.  I, like every other potential owner, want Centrance to get it right, but at what point will we get more than excuses?  Maybe spend more time delivering a product than advertising it at shows?  I didn't even get the T-shirt...

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,841 of 5,999
Quote:
Yet another delay? "We will have HiFi-M8 prototypes (and possibly finished product) at the show (Newport Beach Show, May 31-June 1)." I put my money down in good faith on November 1st and have been waiting patiently. The last (unkept?) promise was delivery in May after adding another sizeable delay to the schedule back in February.  I, like every other potential owner, want Centrance to get it right, but at what point will we get more than excuses?  Maybe spend more time delivering a product than advertising it at shows?  I didn't even get the T-shirt...

Can you link the delay announcement as I can't seems to find it. - thanks.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,842 of 5,999

I could absolutely be wrong here, but I think you may be missing the distinction between prototype and finished product. My understanding is that folks who pre-order will get the latest and greatest version of the product which could still conceivably be changed based on feedback from the pre-order group. The finished product will be the finalized production version and will have the retail packaging. I think that's what that message really means. It would be surprising if not, because things really seem to be coming together recently.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,843 of 5,999
That's the problem when you build a "Swiss army knife".  If the cork screw is messed up, it doesn't ship.  You may want it for the knife, screwdriver, and tooth pick.  But you have to wait while the cork screw problem is fixed.

I'm sure everyone is anxious, but it will eventually ship, and patients is in order here....

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,844 of 5,999
I could absolutely be wrong here, but I think you may be missing the distinction between prototype and finished product. My understanding is that folks who pre-order will get the latest and greatest version of the product which could still conceivably be changed based on feedback from the pre-order group. The finished product will be the finalized production version and will have the retail packaging. I think that's what that message really means. It would be surprising if not, because things really seem to be coming together recently.

No, that is NOT my understanding.

Our version should be the EXACT same version as the one shipping sans retail packaging.

But functionally, they should be identical.

I don't think even if the pre-order group screamed, Centrance could do any major changes without incurring a considerable amount of delay (changing the PCB would be take literally put this project back at *almost* square one with respect to certifying it for production).

AFAICT, there is no delay. If he is demo'ing the FINAL version on May 31st, that does not preclude the pre-order group from receiving their units before that date and on time.

[Insert mgoodman comment here!]

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,845 of 5,999
No, that is NOT my understanding.

Our version should be the EXACT same version as the one shipping sans retail packaging.

But functionally, they should be identical.

I don't think even if the pre-order group screamed, Centrance could do any major changes without incurring a considerable amount of delay (changing the PCB would be take literally put this project back at *almost* square one with respect to certifying it for production).

AFAICT, there is no delay. If he is demo'ing the FINAL version on May 31st, that does not preclude the pre-order group from receiving their units before that date and on time.

[Insert mgoodman comment here!]

I think we're on the same page. You'll notice I used the word "conceivably". My guess is that if anything goes wrong, it's far more likely to be related to software than hardware. The pre-order group could notice something given the range of equipment, apps, and such that are likely to be used. If an issue was identified and communicated to Michael, he could subsequently address it prior to shipping the final version. And, just for the record, if an issue was identified, I highly doubt Michael wouldn't set things right for his early adopters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back