The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,816 of 5,999
Mostly for DJ use such as cueing/mixing. For home use sometimes I'll have multiple different outputs going such as to a speaker & headphone, but I'm likely a minority who uses it that way. I currently have some Focusrite and Native Instruments gear that I use.

I like how the NI drivers actually interpret it as two separate output devices that you can select. Focusrite only sees one device, but you select the channel offset to determine output.

I also would like 4 channels or DJ and monitoring use as well as for car audio which uses 4 channels. With 4 channels you could band pass, DSP delay and add ambiance. This could be one device which works with an iPhone on the ski slopes and bikes, in the cubicle, at home in a 4.1 HT, DJing, and in the car...which incidentally are all the uses I have planned for it.

I sold my 5.5 gen iPod touch because in 2 years with Moore's law..I won't want a 256 SSD ipod 5.5 gen when my iPad will be 256 or 512, and my iPhone will be 256gb.,

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,818 of 5,999
Quote:
From the blog.
'This is good, since our USB circuit infrastructure was changed considerably from last revision. This was due to our last-minute decision to support old and new iPods'.

So what does this mean for us users i wonder?
-Other idevice dac/amp combos seem to only support the latest models.
-will be able to see our ipods/iphones be able to play the fabled 24/96 natively using the hifi-m8?
-what compromises (if any ) could be made?

What does this mmeeeaannn????
smily_headphones1.gif

It means that none of the ipods (or iphones) will output any audio file resolution above 16/48, regardless of their ability to store them at higher resolution.  And even with the ipad2+, they currently downsample all 24 bit to 16 and pad with zeros.  And CEntrance isn't planning any bypass around this iOS limitation within the source, they'll just have the capability with the M8 to read higher resolution (≤24/192?) input data if Apple ever gives it to them.

And that's why Michael is mum on the issue until they actually measure the various idevice data transfers. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,819 of 5,999
That's not entirely true. Yes the legacy stuff is limited to 48hrz data, but will still play 24bit. Even my old 5.5g ipod will play 24/48 fine. It's just anything above 48hrz. Starting with the ipad2, they can play back high res files. The limitation is in the built in dac and not the firmware itself. Once you bypass the internal dac, then you can play high res files providing the idevice dac is capable which the hifi m8 is.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,822 of 5,999
Most of the first generation idevice dacs are limited to 16/48. The newer ones and the ones set to come out can stream high res because the newer iPads including the iPad 2 can do high res "provided" the idevice is capable unlike the original clas.

If you read some of the other forums. You'll see this has been already discussed many times.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #1,823 of 5,999
The CLAS itself has never been limited to 16/48, not even in its first generation.  The data transfer has always been limited by the idevice.

The blog entry I linked above is from February of this year.  In it he states that all the iPod and iPad models at present still downsample to 16 bits for USB audio output, and in the case of the iPod, 48 kHz as well.  He does not differentiate between any legacy and current models. And he would be in a position to know.

I'm curious to know the authority on which you're now citing your position.  Personal experience?  Measurements?  Anecdotal member contributions? 

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,824 of 5,999
I don't know where you're getting you info from but the clas idevice input was limited to 16/48. Why do you think they updated their current one to high res. the original clas has even been discontinued. I based my info from reviews, discussions from users here on headfi, their own website and my own personal experience. I'm done with this.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,825 of 5,999
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any other type of DAC/AMP like the HIFI-M8? The HP-P1 comes to mind but it doesn't have the bass setting or balanced features. I actually don't care about the balanced features so thats ok but the bass or other settings are huge. Basically I'm looking for a Desktop version of the Headstage Arrow 3G and the M8 looks perfect but I don't want to spend $700 on an amp... That's headphone money lol. 

Help me out here guys.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,826 of 5,999
Quote:
...I don't want to spend $700 on an amp... That's headphone money lol. 

I know how you feel, and I seriously discounted the importance of an amp, spending a relatively greater amount on transducers and DACs - and I still don't have an expensive amp - but the difference the Magni made with my HE-500 totally made me do a 180 regarding the importance of a quality (and synergistic) amp.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,828 of 5,999
Quote:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any other type of DAC/AMP like the HIFI-M8? The HP-P1 comes to mind but it doesn't have the bass setting or balanced features. I actually don't care about the balanced features so thats ok but the gain bass or other settings are huge. Basically I'm looking for a Desktop version of the Headstage Arrow 3G and the M8 looks perfect but I don't want to spend $700 on an amp... That's headphone money lol. 

Help me out here guys.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

erased

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,829 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any other type of DAC/AMP like the HIFI-M8? The HP-P1 comes to mind but it doesn't have the gain setting or bass setting or balanced features. I actually don't care about the balanced features so thats ok but the gain bass or other settings are huge. Basically I'm looking for a Desktop version of the Headstage Arrow 3G and the M8 looks perfect but I don't want to spend $700 on an amp... That's headphone money lol. 

Help me out here guys.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

The HP-P1 most definitely has three gain settings.

Sorry, I corrected that in my post.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,830 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:
M8 looks perfect but I don't want to spend $700 on an amp... That's headphone money lol. 

The pre-order price is substantially lower than that. Quickly email CEntrance, and you might still be able to buy it at a discount.

I did thank you!! Are you aware of how much lower they are than normal??

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back