The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,846 of 5,999
Quote:
No, that is NOT my understanding.

Our version should be the EXACT same version as the one shipping sans retail packaging.

But functionally, they should be identical.

Nor my understanding either. The Pre-order group, we get the finished, final version at a discount and first before it goes on sale to the public. We'll hear from Michael on this shortly I'm sure.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,847 of 5,999
Quote:
Nor my understanding either. The Pre-order group, we get the finished, final version at a discount and first before it goes on sale to the public. We'll hear from Michael on this shortly I'm sure.

This was my understanding as well.
I do sympathise with people who are feeling impatient and want their M8 as soon as humanly possible. I too had days where I seriously considered asking if it was possible to cancel my pre-order and just buy another source component or earphone. In the end, however, I decided to trust Michael and CEntrance. They've never let us down before, and I have high expectations for the M8 when it finally arrives!

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,849 of 5,999
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,851 of 5,999
I just joined the preorder group too.  Looking forward to seeing how it does with my LCD-3 and Ety 4's.  I'd just point out that Apple has a history of having to correct some bugs whenever they release a new product, so I am happy to wait a little longer for a more reliable product from Michael.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,852 of 5,999
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/04/18/chicago-flood/

Fortunately, Michael and the gang seem to be fine!
My friend though, as I just found out, got a little wetter I think

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,853 of 5,999
Quote:
I just joined the preorder group too.  Looking forward to seeing how it does with my LCD-3 and Ety 4's.  I'd just point out that Apple has a history of having to correct some bugs whenever they release a new product, so I am happy to wait a little longer for a more reliable product from Michael.
smily_headphones1.gif

size]

I think most of us put their pre-order back in Dec./Jan. so that's why you'll see some of us getting a little antsy over further delays...
Quote:
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/04/18/chicago-flood/

Fortunately, Michael and the gang seem to be fine!
My friend though, as I just found out, got a little wetter I think

Holy cow, that's terrible! 
Best wishes to the people in that area of the country, stay safe...

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,854 of 5,999
Then there are some of us that paid back in november(ouch), but I'd rather wait on a completely polished product than to pay hundreds just to be a beta tester, the dx100 thread comes to mind. That would really be a bummer.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,856 of 5,999
Quote:
Are there a lot of other people who use their iPhone/iPad as a remote for their laptop using airport express who would like to see an IOS and a SP/dif?

A device with an optical in and iDevice in has been suggested, but we have not made it a priority. We went in with the assumption that half the people still use their laptops, half use their phones and tablets to store/play music. The assumption about "half" is  very imprecise, but we went with that anyway. Perhaps in the future we will make a device as you request...

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,857 of 5,999
Quote:
I could absolutely be wrong here, but I think you may be missing the distinction between prototype and finished product. My understanding is that folks who pre-order will get the latest and greatest version of the product which could still conceivably be changed based on feedback from the pre-order group. The finished product will be the finalized production version and will have the retail packaging. I think that's what that message really means. It would be surprising if not, because things really seem to be coming together recently.

Preorder units will be the first ones coming off the real production line, so they will be production units. We will be making them in batches. Our estimate is late May, but things have been shifting around, as you can see from the blog and we are holding on with our bare teeth to keep that estimate right now.

I would very much like to have shipped some units from the first batch yet in May. The rest of the units will trickle out in June. We have a large number of preorder requests and they will be sent out according to seniority (if you have waited the longest, you will be the first one to receive a unit). We can't afford to fail here, so will push forward until done. Then, I may need to disappear for while and decompress, but not until we start shipping...

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,858 of 5,999
Quote:
My guess is that if anything goes wrong, it's far more likely to be related to software than hardware. The pre-order group could notice something given the range of equipment, apps, and such that are likely to be used. If an issue was identified and communicated to Michael, he could subsequently address it prior to shipping the final version. And, just for the record, if an issue was identified, I highly doubt Michael wouldn't set things right for his early adopters.

All true. Thank you for your trust. We will absolutely make it right.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,859 of 5,999
Quote:

Woot Woot.
So, all they have to do is assemble, test and ship?

^I'm sure I'm missing something in this chain. If not, then they're almost done...

What's missing is production. But we know how to do that. We need to finish testing the digital PCB and move software further. First production run is being arranged in parallel and is currently scheduled for late May.

As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you are busy making plans."

We are planning to have a life after our plans are fulfilled :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back