The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,863 of 5,999
Looking forward to shipping, and waiting patiently.  As always, ship when ready, not before.  I'm enjoying the journey - in part because I am not strapped to Centrance's grind stone.  I am strapped to another one though, 14 or 15 days straight of average 12 hrs a day...  I get tired of these runs.  That said, I think Michael and crew are likely exceeding my current run by several weeks or more.  Hang in there Centrance!

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,866 of 5,999
I need a little help.

Should I go with the single 4 pin XLR or the 3 pin XLR combo plug version of the balanced output?  I am using LCD-3's with ALO silver cable.  I can get an ALO adapter for the 3 pin version, but if I decide to try some other cables (like Q cable) in the future, they seem to favor the 4 pin version.  I read Michael's comments about the durability of RSA adapters, so this seems less desirable.

Also, I wonder if I will need to use an adapter with my Ety ER-4's if I go with the 1/8 plug since they have a pretty short right angle at the end.  Fortunately, they include a 1/4 inch adapter.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,867 of 5,999
Quote:
I need a little help.

Should I go with the single 4 pin XLR or the 3 pin XLR combo plug version of the balanced output?  I am using LCD-3's with ALO silver cable.  I can get an ALO adapter for the 3 pin version, but if I decide to try some other cables (like Q cable) in the future, they seem to favor the 4 pin version.  I read Michael's comments about the durability of RSA adapters, so this seems less desirable.

Also, I wonder if I will need to use an adapter with my Ety ER-4's if I go with the 1/8 plug since they have a pretty short right angle at the end.  Fortunately, they include a 1/4 inch adapter.  

I'm leaning toward 4 pin XLR, mildly considering dual 3 pin sor the 2x unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks.

Any cable maker can terminate to just about anything you want.  I plan to terminate to 4 pin xlr or mini xlr, and use adapters as necessary.  That way, one 4 pin XLR to 2x3 pin xlr adapter, for instance, works with all cables that are terminated to XLR 4 pin.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,868 of 5,999
I need a little help.

I still believe as of today, the 3-pin combo jacks are by far the most flexible and cover the overwhelming gamut of cable options.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,869 of 5,999
Quote:
I need a little help.

Personally, and this isn't supported by anything other than anecdotal data and preference, balanced cables and amps are (and should be) embracing the 4-pin XLR.  Yes, there are still 3-pin XLR spots on the higher end amps, but there is usually a 4-pin XLR spot now as well.  I do know that several new balanced amps that have been announced have 4-pin XLR only.  To be honest, I have no idea, given the options, why anyone would still want the dual 3-pin XLR balanced option for headphone cables.  Twice as heavy, twice as cumbersome with an adapter, and aren't even fully used.  I doubt that if there is any crosstalk differences that they would be audible.  

A retermination to a 4-pin XLR would probably be cheaper and smarter than getting an adapter.  And if you needed adapters in the future it would be simpler in the future.

You should be ok with your 1/8" plug on your Ety's if you went 4-pin XLR option since there is a dedicated 1/8" jack (unless I am not understanding your concern).

About the only reason to go dual 3-pin XLR is if you have to have those jacks to support existing cables or use it as a balanced DAC/preamp going to studio monitors or another amp.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,870 of 5,999
I'd read somewhere (in this thread I believe) that the adoption of the 4-pin XLR is predominantly a North American thing, while in Japan it is practically non-existant.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,871 of 5,999
I'd read somewhere (in this thread I believe) that the adoption of the 4-pin XLR is predominantly a North American thing, while in Japan it is practically non-existant.

Other than the niche of some high end cables manufacturers for headphones, the world has standardized on 3-pin XLR.

In terms of audible performance, I don't see any inherit advantage of 4-pin vs 3-pin XLR for headphone applications.

My 2 cents.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,872 of 5,999
Quote:

Don't know about Japan, but Audio-gd has been using the 4-pin on his balanced amps for a couple generations.  Not sure how widespread it is in Europe, but Lake People (Violectric) and BMC out of Germany use the 4-pin (and I think earlier in the thread I read that Headfi had a hand in convincing Violectric to).  So not just the NA pushing it.  

3-pin use is borrowed from the balanced interconnects of pro gear that was adopted into audiophile gear.  As a headphone connector, I guess it was just simpler to put some 3-pin sockets on the front as well as the back.  Trogdor is right in that there probably isn't a sound related advantage for either solution.  

Really, though, for the person asking the question, it is a very personal preference and really depends on your proposed usage over the next couple years (if you even keep setups that long).  What ever seems most useful to you is what you should go with.  That is the beauty of what CEntrance is doing - giving us unprecedented choice even if it might cause confusion.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,873 of 5,999
Thanks for everyone's responses to my questions.  The issue with the Ety's is the short plug and the right angle of the cord.  With any sort of protective case (ex. IPhone), I need to use a straight adapter to reach the headphone jack.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,874 of 5,999
Could the 4 pin headphone out be used via adapter (to 2x3 pin xlr) as a preamp to drive active monitors?

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,875 of 5,999
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's responses to my questions.  The issue with the Ety's is the short plug and the right angle of the cord.  With any sort of protective case (ex. IPhone), I need to use a straight adapter to reach the headphone jack.

Are you saying that you are worried about using the right angle plug w/ 1/4" adapter to plug into the HiFi-M8 given that you have a case on your M8?

Sorry, I'm just confused a bit by your question. I currently have a case on my iphone and my JH5's have a right angle plug. It is a bit awkward to plug in every time. I have to pull the case back a bit around the headphone jack. However, I can't imagine that the right angle should be a problem with the M8 headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back