The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5,808 of 5,999
I don't get the balanced output... From what I understand, the internal electronics aren't balanced. I know, it's convenient if you're already wired with balanced headphones, but I found that disappointing.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #5,809 of 5,999
Yeah I didn't do my research first when I bought mine... thought it was truly balanced. Now I realize how mistaken I was! But after that annoyance, I still fell in love with the m8, and don't regret the decision at all.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #5,810 of 5,999

Yes agreed - I actually thought that was a bit disingenuous on Centrance's part... they always mentioned it had "balanced outputs", and while it's true technically that doesn't necessarily mean it's a balanced amp, 99% of people would interpret it that way, and they never clarified (until someone opened one up and confirmed) that it just included a 4pin XLR output for convenience, but it was technically a SE amp... What made it more confusing was that during the planning process, this was supposed to be a true balanced amp (and was discussed as such), but somewhere down the line they decided not to (forgot the reason why). 

Anyways regardless, I still love mine, and the fact that it has a 1/8", 1/4" and 4pin XLR output really makes it a dream for bringing to meets. Also lets me use my MrSpeakers Ether C's with 4pin XLR around the house (I listen in bed from my iPhone pretty frequently). 

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5,811 of 5,999
I was disappointed, jumped in quickly when there was a Massdrop offer without doing enough homework, didn't realize it wasn't really balanced. And, I got the Non Apple version, only to find out it had to connect via optical,which I didn't have for my various sources. And it didn't play well with my PC. I finally found a use at the last Philly meet I went to, used an iPad 3 streaming TIDAL on a Pure base, which does optical digital out. Into the CEntrance, line out into my MicroZOTL2, then to my HE-1000.a bit convoluted, but worked out pretty nicely.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5,813 of 5,999
I just ordered an M8 directly from Centrance.  I didn't know it wasnt fully balanced until reading these last few posts. 

I'm not sure I have a need for it.  Has anyone compared the hifi m8 to the ifi Micro iDSD? That is my other portable amp so I'm not even sure I have a need for the M8.

If the M8 is better, I could always sell the ifi.

Thoughts? 

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #5,814 of 5,999
As I mentioned earlier, I didn't know it wasn't really balanced until after I had it as well.
Don't know the ifi
I think the CEntrance is a good sounding unit, but I have a LH Labs Geek Out Signature Edition, think the GO sounds better (but, it isn't as flexible as the CEntrance. Found a use for the CEntrance out of an iPad3, into a base that allowed me to connect with the optical (didn't get the Apple version, another error, thought it would connect coax from other sources, yet another error on my part).

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #5,815 of 5,999
Does anyone know if the M8 works with the USB output of the iBasso DX80?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #5,816 of 5,999
Anyone feels the DAC section of the M8 is the weakest link? I feel it could use more resolving power. I know it's a proprietary DAC. I still really enjoy it. :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,817 of 5,999
Anyone feels the DAC section of the M8 is the weakest link? I feel it could use more resolving power. I know it's a proprietary DAC. I still really enjoy it. :)
on Flac its as good as Mojo but with MP3 its not.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #5,819 of 5,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back