The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 12, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #5,836 of 5,999
I use the M8 with my Beyerdynamic T1 V2’s, sounds absolutely fantastic. Compared it to my balanced Buffalo DAC III with shunt regulated power supply and true balanced clean I/V line stage, that can compete with the Weiss DAC202, that retailed for 7000$. Hardly a difference. Ideal listening position is bang on at 12 o ‘clock. The T1’s have 600Ohm, so you’ll be fine with whatever you want to plug into the M8.

I use the output impedance switch at 11Ohm for some music and for some I switch to 1Ohm.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5,837 of 5,999
I drive my LCD2F (70 ohms) with the M8. At full gain, the volume knob is seldom above “10 oclock”. 1000mw is sufficient power for most headphones.

Good to know. I just got my M8 today and it's the first serious portable headphone dac/amp that I've purchased. What would you think might be a good future upgrade for better sound quality without sacrificing the power?

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #5,838 of 5,999
I use the M8 with my Beyerdynamic T1 V2’s, sounds absolutely fantastic. Compared it to my balanced Buffalo DAC III with shunt regulated power supply and true balanced clean I/V line stage, that can compete with the Weiss DAC202, that retailed for 7000$. Hardly a difference. Ideal listening position is bang on at 12 o ‘clock. The T1’s have 600Ohm, so you’ll be fine with whatever you want to plug into the M8.

I use the output impedance switch at 11Ohm for some music and for some I switch to 1Ohm.

That's amazing how it can compete with higher end systems! Any chance you've compared it to other portable amps/dacs in around the same price range?

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,839 of 5,999
That's amazing how it can compete with higher end systems! Any chance you've compared it to other portable amps/dacs in around the same price range?

I have compared it directly only to my high end stationary Buffalo, and it sounds just as good, enough power, enough dynamic range for the T1. I like a clean sound with lots of detail, I like a very controlled bass with no blooming, I like to hear the lowest sub-bass as well as the highest twinkle at the same time without any muddiness. The M8 delivers. Portables, I have compared it directly to the Hugo, which is a supurb head-amp, but liked the M8 more, it has a bit more natural and clean sound. The Hugo is some peoples taste though..

If you can find a Fiio E12, that is also pretty good, with enough power for every headphone, a good price and pretty compact. It’s like 80% the sound quality of the M8 for only one sixth the price.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #5,840 of 5,999
I have compared it directly only to my high end stationary Buffalo, and it sounds just as good, enough power, enough dynamic range for the T1. I like a clean sound with lots of detail, I like a very controlled bass with no blooming, I like to hear the lowest sub-bass as well as the highest twinkle at the same time without any muddiness. The M8 delivers. Portables, I have compared it directly to the Hugo, which is a supurb head-amp, but liked the M8 more, it has a bit more natural and clean sound. The Hugo is some peoples taste though..

Makes sense. Guess at this price it’s really hard to tell the difference between the M8 and something supposedly more high end. Would you reckon I’ll hear a bigger difference in sound quality investing in higher end headphones as opposed to dac/amps at this point?

I’m using the HD6xx right now and intend to keep it after I “upgrade”. Would the HD800S be a good choice for when I’m listening more analytically and want the extra sound stage and clarity?

I’ve looked at Audeze and Hifiman but there are mixed reports on comfort and reliability. The Sennheisers just seems to be more “pro” grade rather than “consumer luxury/leisure grade”, which is what I prefer.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #5,841 of 5,999
Makes sense. Guess at this price it’s really hard to tell the difference between the M8 and something supposedly more high end. Would you reckon I’ll hear a bigger difference in sound quality investing in higher end headphones as opposed to dac/amps at this point?

I’m using the HD6xx right now and intend to keep it after I “upgrade”. Would the HD800S be a good choice for when I’m listening more analytically and want the extra sound stage and clarity?

I’ve looked at Audeze and Hifiman but there are mixed reports on comfort and reliability. The Sennheisers just seems to be more “pro” grade rather than “consumer luxury/leisure grade”, which is what I prefer.

I noticed the biggest difference of all when getting better headphones. I like the sound profile of Beyerdynamic, with its clean, controlled bass, crystal highs and clearly defined soundstage. But some people don’t like it and rather like the more warm, intimate profile of the HD650, or the massive (in my eyes inaccurate, but YMMV) soundstage of the HD800.

The headphone amps/DACs, when they reach a certain quality level, don’t really add or subtract anything audible from the sound profile, as long they have enough power to drive the headphones IMHO. I’m talking about transistor amps of course, they all pretty much sound equal when built correctly.

When you try tube amps on the other hand, you get some added distortion, which of course does change the sound profile audibly, some to the liking but others not so much.

I found the M8 to be good enough that I’d not miss any details, have enough dynamic range that complex music at high volume still gets the full soundstage and stays accurate, has enough power to drive any headphone, can be used directly off iPhone/Android/PC without any extra DAC, has a battery that lasts decently long, is small enough to carry, well build, with switchable gain for IE/Over ear and switchable output impedance so you effectively have a do-it-all package. I haven’t found anything else that does all this so well. Worth every penny I’d say.

So my advice: buy the best headphones you can afford, that suit you sonic preference.
Buy the M8 and start enjoying music wherever you are, spend hours listening to all the music you already knew from the past, but rediscover details that you’ve never heard before, appreciate the music to its full potential, the way the artists actually meant people to hear it but nobody does :)

Stop reading the audio forums, stop pondering what would sound better and spend as much time enjoying your setup, you really won’t be missing out. High end headphones are really that fantastic. Speakers are harder, you need to soundproof your listening room, position them correctly, power them correctly, with drivers that are compatible, correctly crossover, correct housing etc. It will never be finished. But headphones are already perfect they way they are, there’s no reflections, no room nodes, no standing waves, no decay etc.

If you want to have fun with your headphones, you could buy a ‘Buttkicker’ with amp and attach it to your chair, this way when you’re listening to your headphones you can feel the bass as well.
Drummers use this to feel the bass when they’re playing electronic drums.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #5,842 of 5,999
So my advice: buy the best headphones you can afford, that suit you sonic preference.
Buy the M8 and start enjoying music wherever you are, spend hours listening to all the music you already knew from the past, but rediscover details that you’ve never heard before, appreciate the music to its full potential, the way the artists actually meant people to hear it but nobody does :)

Stop reading the audio forums, stop pondering what would sound better and spend as much time enjoying your setup, you really won’t be missing out. High end headphones are really that fantastic. Speakers are harder, you need to soundproof your listening room, position them correctly, power them correctly, with drivers that are compatible, correctly crossover, correct housing etc. It will never be finished. But headphones are already perfect they way they are, there’s no reflections, no room nodes, no standing waves, no decay etc.

Nicely said. I'll be enjoying my M8 and HD6xx for the next little while :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #5,843 of 5,999

I tried the HD800 Senns with my M8. I could not control the horrible treble spike around 7500 Hz. I have tinnitus at around 8000 Hz, and the HD800 phones caused it to flare up badly for a few weeks after the three day trial.

I am happy with the LCD2F for listening to bass heavy music and well as other genres... I find them heavy but confortable, at lease for a two or three albums’ worth of listening. The new LCD2C look like good value for your money.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #5,844 of 5,999
I have a HiFi-M8 for sale if anyone is interested just PM me. Everything is tested working except the battery amount indicator which isn't a big deal. All accessories included and looking for 199 USD shipped to the US.
I found it along with an iPod 160gb 7th gen while cleaning the house :d

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5,845 of 5,999
I have a HiFi-M8 for sale if anyone is interested just PM me. Everything is tested working except the battery amount indicator which isn't a big deal. All accessories included and looking for 199 USD shipped to the US.
I found it along with an iPod 160gb 7th gen while cleaning the house :d

If the battery can still hold a good charge, that’s a nice deal

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #5,846 of 5,999
I tried the HD800 Senns with my M8. I could not control the horrible treble spike around 7500 Hz. I have tinnitus at around 8000 Hz, and the HD800 phones caused it to flare up badly for a few weeks after the three day trial.

I am happy with the LCD2F for listening to bass heavy music and well as other genres... I find them heavy but confortable, at lease for a two or three albums’ worth of listening. The new LCD2C look like good value for your money.

Yup, I heard the LCD2 has a similar sound signature as the hd650, but just does everything better.

Have you tried the hd800s or the hd800 with other amps? Does the issue go away when paired with something else?

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5,848 of 5,999
After about 3.5 years of regular usage, my HiFi-M8 started dropping the USB signal every few minutes (so I have to turn it off and on after a few seconds). I think the issue might be related to the battery which is almost dead for some time - my HiFi-M8 doesn't work in standalone mode (a squeaky alert sound played when I try to turn it on without the external power so the battery is not completely dead) and the charging LED indicators stopped working. I've always used it with the external power adapter and very rarely tried the standalone mode.
I thought the device should be perfectly fine on the external power even if the battery is completely dead... Unfortunately, it seems the repair is quite expensive to me and I hardly can justify it (I recall somebody mentioned here that the official battery replacement price is 100 USD + shipping cost, in my case, it's a dealbreaker as I will be charged a pretty high customs fee).
Has anyone run into the same problem?
Has anyone tried disassembling it and replacing the battery? If so, what are the compatible battery specs? Or maybe the device can work properly if the battery is completely disconnected from the board (as in case of a truly dead battery)?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,850 of 5,999
After about 3.5 years of regular usage, my HiFi-M8 started dropping the USB signal every few minutes (so I have to turn it off and on after a few seconds). I think the issue might be related to the battery which is almost dead for some time - my HiFi-M8 doesn't work in standalone mode (a squeaky alert sound played when I try to turn it on without the external power so the battery is not completely dead) and the charging LED indicators stopped working. I've always used it with the external power adapter and very rarely tried the standalone mode.
I thought the device should be perfectly fine on the external power even if the battery is completely dead... Unfortunately, it seems the repair is quite expensive to me and I hardly can justify it (I recall somebody mentioned here that the official battery replacement price is 100 USD + shipping cost, in my case, it's a dealbreaker as I will be charged a pretty high customs fee).
Has anyone run into the same problem?
Has anyone tried disassembling it and replacing the battery? If so, what are the compatible battery specs? Or maybe the device can work properly if the battery is completely disconnected from the board (as in case of a truly dead battery)?

What version of software do you have? I owned the M8 twice. The first time like you said it kept going dead. I thought it was a battery thing so I sold it as is for cheap. A couple of years later I bought another one and after windows did an update it started to do the same thing. Keep in mind I really like the M8 a lot so I sent a very frustrated e-mail to the company. After talking with them they determined that my software got messed up by windows update. If you are using windows there should be am icon on the bottom right hand corner next to the time. Click it and click on about. This is the correct version for Windows. Installing the new driver fixed the issue.

version.png

Do you physically switch off your device when you are done using it ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back