The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #603 of 5,999
Does this work with the iPhone 5 with the new connector?

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #605 of 5,999
Shoot, iPhone won't let me copy - paste from the HIFI-M8 blog to here, but here is a link to the output panel image from Nov. 13:

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/11/13/panel-permutations-two/

I am thinking very seriously about switching my preorder to the RSA jack. Of the three options the size is so much more appealing to me. I understand Mr. Goodman's comments on robustness given his years of experience around pro sound gear. I spent a few years as a weekend rocker sound and lights guy in my youth. Pro gear definitely gets HARD use. That said, the hardest use my stuff gets now is careful placing in a nice case, to messenger bag, to the car and home from work. I really don't think I require the level of robustness of a 3 or 4 pin XLR jack. Looking at the faceplate mock ups, the RSA jack looks to be 25% to 35% of the size of the 3 or 4 pin XLR's. from a headphone and iem user standpoint, why would I need anything bigger?

I look forward to comments. I also respectfully request that someone with access to the RSA style and XLR style plugs post a photo showing both for size comparison, ideally with a measuring scale or a common object like a dime or quarter for scale.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #606 of 5,999
Quote:
I look forward to comments. I also respectfully request that someone with access to the RSA style and XLR style plugs post a photo showing both for size comparison, ideally with a measuring scale or a common object like a dime or quarter for scale.

My economical stand point was that it was easier and cheaper to find balanced modded headphones with XLR plugs. It was also easier to find a full-sized amp with XLR output. Didn't make sense to pay extra for adaptors. Current RSA plug users would be fine.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #607 of 5,999
Shoot, iPhone won't let me copy - paste from the HIFI-M8 blog to here, but here is a link to the outpost panel image from Nov. 13:
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/11/13/panel-permutations-two/
I am thinking very seriously about switching my preorder to the RSA jack. Of the three options the size is so much more appealing to me. I understand Mr. Goodman's comments on robustness given his years of experience around pro sound gear. I spent a few years as a weekend rocker sound and lights guy in my youth. Pro gear definitely gets HARD use. That said, the hardest use my stuff gets now is careful placing in a nice case, to messenger bag, to the car and home from work. I really don't think I require the level of robustness of a 3 or 4 pin XLR jack. Looking at the faceplate mock ups, the RSA jack looks to be 25% to 35% of the size of the 3 or 4 pin XLR's. from a headphone and iem user standpoint, why would I need anything bigger?

I've been thinking the same. The dual 3-pin is too big, the single 4-pin is better, and the RSA being much smaller looks better to me on a small face plate of a Portable device. For desktop, I'd stick with 4-pin xlr.

I may change my config option from 4-pin xlr to the RSA plug. I'm amazed by how responsive Michael/ Centrance is to feedback during the M8's development.

@ Michael: What do you think about a mini 4-pin xlr? Seems like the best features of the RSA and standard size XLR. How about a Pelican case for transporting/storing the M8 and accessories?

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #608 of 5,999
Quote:
I've been thinking the same. The dual 3-pin is too big, the single 4-pin is better, and the RSA being much smaller looks better to me on a small face plate of a Portable device. For desktop, I'd stick with 4-pin xlr.
I may change my config option from 4-pin xlr to the RSA plug. 

If you are wanting a small foot print, why not consider the Lemo plug?
post #595

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #610 of 5,999
Quote:
If you are wanting a small foot print, why not consider the Lemo plug?
post #595

I read the linked post. Interesting. 

Why not consider the Lemo plug? It may be better but I'm just not familiar with it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #611 of 5,999
The mini 4-pin female XLR is a nice idea ... for me! I terminate all my headphones now with one and use adaptors. If I get one, I'll probably get the full-size 4-pin XLR as it will be for transportable use, not portable use anyway. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #612 of 5,999
Quote:
The mini 4-pin female XLR is a nice idea ... for me! I terminate all my headphones now with one and use adaptors. If I get one, I'll probably get the full-size 4-pin XLR as it will be for transportable use, not portable use anyway. 

Currawong,

Do you think there is an audio benefit using a standard xlr instead of a mini xlr?

@ Michael Goodman,  how much does the M8 weigh? I wonder how much weight difference there is between a "typical" standard xlr compared to a "typical" mini xlr?

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #615 of 5,999
> What do you think about a mini 4-pin xlr? Seems like the best features of the RSA and standard size XLR.
I really thank you for the suggestion, but it may be a little too late to make changes. We are rushing ahead with the three options we know of. I'll definitely keep this in mind for a future version. 

> How about a Pelican case for transporting/storing the M8 and accessories?
Hmm... Not a bad idea! Will look into that. We already sell a product in a Pelican case and people seem to love the portability.

> So is there a plan for that USB input to support Android's USB Audio?
Yes, M8 will support Android as long as the phone supports USB audio. It's not up to us, it's up to the phone.

> How much does the M8 weigh? I wonder how much weight difference there is between a "typical" standard xlr compared to a "typical" mini xlr?
We will be able to give you the answer in several weeks once we build these up and weigh them. However, I can say that the main sources of the weight are the battery and the aluminum case. XLR connectors will contribute to the weight, but to a lesser extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back