The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,806 of 5,999
Quote:
Wadia Transport supported old gen iPods.

Yes, it does but there are more setback than its worth. The inability to change album once its "locked in" render it almost useless. I have unplug and re-lock in all the time just to perform such simple task. Wadia transport is only "fully compatible" with the 6th gen onwards.

5.5 is good for Imod, upgrade Hdd to 240gb and so on..

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,807 of 5,999
FWIW, the current 7th gen. iPod to me sounds just as good via line out as the 5.5 gen one, even though it does not have a Wolfson DAC. It's way better than the prior 6th gen. And, the fact that it can be used with docks and the HiFi M8 for digital out is also a big plus. I believe Apple improved the sound quality in the current version, although of course that won't really matter if you are using an external DAC. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,808 of 5,999
Quote:
FWIW, the current 7th gen. iPod to me sounds just as good via line out as the 5.5 gen one, even though it does not have a Wolfson DAC. It's way better than the prior 6th gen. And, the fact that it can be used with docks and the HiFi M8 for digital out is also a big plus. I believe Apple improved the sound quality in the current version, although of course that won't really matter if you are using an external DAC. 

I bought a 7th gen in the FS forum to use with the M8, once mine ships.  I use it with an iBasso PB2 in the mean time.  I was surprised at how well it sounded.  Better to me than the Touch 4G for sure.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,809 of 5,999
Quote:

Everything you just said is spot on. There are many who confuse the 6th with the 7th and talk about how crappy it is compared to the 5.5g. And they also think they are the same on the inside. But yes, I did find the 6th subpar compared to the 5.5g, but they corrected everything in the 7th. Not only did they fix the firmware problems the 6th had, but they also changed the hard drive and logic board. The 6th logic board won't work in the 7th. Also many of the hard drives people are upgrading to will only work in the 5.5g and 7g. I actually find the 7th to be a small improvement of the 5.5g and on par with an imod/diymod(using basic caps).

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,810 of 5,999
Quote:
 I actually find the 7th to be a small improvement of the 5.5g and on par with an imod/diymod(using basic caps).

From my experience the 7g is not even close to a 5.5g modded with the proper caps, if you are really into the SQ stuff for critical listening.
With that said, the 7g doesn't sound bad. It's just the 5.5g mod sound damn capable.
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,811 of 5,999
So what you guys are telling is that my 5.5g classic iPod video should not be sold to "upgrade" to a newer gen? I just dusted my old school iPod off cause I've been using it and I had no idea how amazing it is. Bought a new battery to spruce it up and I think I'm good to go!

Thanks,

:evil:

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,812 of 5,999
The modded 5.5g is nice enough, I've had a couple of them. The M8 bypasses the mass market geared internal dac / amp of the iPods, and routes the digital signal to a dedicated dac and amp. No more need for mods and caps, with a better end result. And a package that is 3 times the size of an Imod with a nice portable amp...

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,814 of 5,999
From my experience the 7g is not even close to a 5.5g modded with the proper caps, if you are really into the SQ stuff for critical listening.
With that said, the 7g doesn't sound bad. It's just the 5.5g mod sound damn capable.:wink_face:

Which is why I put the phrase basic caps in parenthesis. Of course the sound improves a lot with premium botique caps. But with the options available now, it's pointless to spend a lot on an imod IMO.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,815 of 5,999
Well back on topic, the m8 continues to impressed. I took mine to a buddy's house who owns the th900 and LCD 3, and both sounded truly excellent with it. It had enough to drive the LCD 3 on mid gain, but on high gain, the sound was just effortless. He owns about 100k worth of gear and thought the m8 sounded closer to high end than it does midfi. He thought if outperformed his vioelectric dac/amp desktop rig. I think he was just shocked at how good it sounded, but it do surpass every midfi setup I've listened to.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,816 of 5,999
Quote:
But with the options available now, it's pointless to spend a lot on an imod IMO.

Spent a lot only if you buy the RWA iMod not the diymod. In fact the diymod may even sound better as you can wire it differently with the caps of your choice. That's the beauty of having the 5.5g's - taking total control of the beast in and out.

With that said, I am not here to say anything against M8 or any other high-end daps. Just try to make a point on modding the 5.5g's. Apologize for the off-topic.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2,817 of 5,999
Quote:
Well back on topic, the m8 continues to impressed. I took mine to a buddy's house who owns the th900 and LCD 3, and both sounded truly excellent with it. It had enough to drive the LCD 3 on mid gain, but on high gain, the sound was just effortless. He owns about 100k worth of gear and thought the m8 sounded closer to high end than it does midfi. He thought if outperformed his vioelectric dac/amp desktop rig. I think he was just shocked at how good it sounded, but it do surpass every midfi setup I've listened to.

Wow, outperformed a Violectric stack?  High praise.  Sounds like I might be able to get rid of my main rig and just go with the M8.  Should only be a month away.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #2,818 of 5,999
Sorry if you mentioned this before Michael, but will there be a M8 at the Singapore MOOK Headphone Festival in a few days?

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,819 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry if you mentioned this before Michael, but will there be a M8 at the Singapore MOOK Headphone Festival in a few days?

Yes. 

Just up: Mook Festival this weekend

CEntrance has been invited to participate in the Mook Festival this weekend.

The festival is held in Singapore.

CEntrance will show HiFi-M8, DACmini, and DACport there.

If you are around Singapore, we hope you will make it and see/hear our products

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,820 of 5,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back