The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,777 of 5,999
Quote:
OK, BUT how does it works without special software like USB Radio recorder?  I prefer to use a player with REAL user interface & music file management (playlists, artworks, que lists...)

So, what are the bitrate limitation when NOT using USB Radio recorder ? 

Like Wormsdriver said, it won't work.  USB audio is still in its infancy with Android (not to mention handset support on top of that).  It is unfortunate that the only 3rd party app that somewhat levels the playing field is one that was intended as a recording interface, not playback.  At last check, the developer had no interest in developing a nice GUI for this app or a standalone playback app.  And it also seems that no other developer is able to or cares about developing a driver or app that can make everything work together.   

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,778 of 5,999
Longtime lurker here. Just got my unit and it's charging away from the wall socket like a champ!

I've a few questions for Michael after having used my M8 for a few hours: (I've got the 4-pin XLR iDevice unit)

1. How long did you find the M8 takes to charge from a 110V outlet?

2. The 1/8" combo optical jack shines red (presumably the optical signal?) all the time (that the M8 is on). Is that normal??

3. There seems to be a little "click" when I change the M8 to a different mode (iDevice to USB input, iDevice to power off, USB input to iDevice, etc.) Is that the sound of something frying?

4. My included short 30pin cable didn't seem to connect for some reason... I tried a regular stock Apple 30pin to USB cable and it connected to my old iPod touch just fine. Is the CEntrance cable particularly finnicky?
(Honestly if it turns out the cable has some kind of defect, whatever.

5. I know you've got your hands full with shipping issues and the 24/96 iOS fix but is CEntrance likely going to focus on Android support for the M8 in the near future? This would be awesome!!!!!!

Thanks again Michael!! The M8 sounds kick-ass so far.

oh and
Quote:
Like Wormsdriver said, it won't work.  USB audio is still in its infancy with Android (not to mention handset support on top of that).  It is unfortunate that the only 3rd party app that somewhat levels the playing field is one that was intended as a recording interface, not playback.  At last check, the developer had no interest in developing a nice GUI for this app or a standalone playback app.  And it also seems that no other developer is able to or cares about developing a driver or app that can make everything work together.   

I googled a little bit and found an xda poster messing around with some of the CM nightly builds.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2305631

Looks like he/she (4th post down) succeeded in getting 24/96 output by patching some kind of driver.....
Thoughts?

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,779 of 5,999
Quote:

I googled a little bit and found an xda poster messing around with some of the CM nightly builds.

Looks like he/she (4th post down) succeeded in getting 24/96 output by patching some kind of driver.....
Thoughts?

Modifying drivers or kernels is beyond my understanding.  And so far, I haven't seen any universal solution since different DACs behave different ways, and it seems each handset behaves in different ways.   I do believe that all this is possible, but it would take several very smart, dedicated people to find a solution that could begin to approach universal, and then, it would most likely involve modifying things that the average person couldn't handle.  It really needs to be driven by both Google and handset makers for universal solutions.  

The HifiM8 announces itself as a 24/192 device which is beyond what Android can natively handle.  Loading a custom driver is much more complex than with Windows (which also needs a custom driver to handle 24/192).  

At this point, I am simply going to content myself listening straight out of my phone for true on-the-go listening and then use the M8 with a laptop if doing more serious listening in a mobile situation.  Streamlining my life is taking precedence over luxury.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,780 of 5,999
I received my M8 last week and all I can say is WOW!!  I absolutely love it and want to thank Michael and his crew for a top notch product.  It has exceeded my expectations, and was worth the wait.  I'll post some impressions in the other thread after some more listening time.  Thanks again Michael, my hat's off to you!  Here's a couple pics of the M8 in action;

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,781 of 5,999
Ugh I wish I would got with the early program when I had the chance...

Does anyone know when the full release to the general public will be??

Thanks,

:evil:

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,782 of 5,999
Quote:
Ugh I wish I would got with the early program when I had the chance...

Does anyone know when the full release to the general public will be??

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Well, there are 3 "batches" of pre-orders, with only the first fulfilled.  So, two more to go.  With that said, Michael did mention making a few LX models available soon...

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,784 of 5,999

Well, there are 3 "batches" of pre-orders, with only the first fulfilled.  So, two more to go.  With that said, Michael did mention making a few LX models available soon...

Quote:
I was told September. But mgoodman can confirm.

See their website:

http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

The LX is shipping now, the M8 (non LX) is estimated for September. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,785 of 5,999
See their website:

http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

The LX is shipping now, the M8 (non LX) is estimated for September. 

If you order an LX right now, you wouldn't see it until September because of the pre-order list has already spoken for the next two batches.

So though LX is technically shipping now, I suspect there is still a wait.

mgoodman can confirm.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,787 of 5,999
Quote:
Longtime lurker here. Just got my unit and it's charging away from the wall socket like a champ!

I've a few questions for Michael after having used my M8 for a few hours: (I've got the 4-pin XLR iDevice unit)

1. How long did you find the M8 takes to charge from a 110V outlet?

2. The 1/8" combo optical jack shines red (presumably the optical signal?) all the time (that the M8 is on). Is that normal??

3. There seems to be a little "click" when I change the M8 to a different mode (iDevice to USB input, iDevice to power off, USB input to iDevice, etc.) Is that the sound of something frying?

4. My included short 30pin cable didn't seem to connect for some reason... I tried a regular stock Apple 30pin to USB cable and it connected to my old iPod touch just fine. Is the CEntrance cable particularly finnicky?
(Honestly if it turns out the cable has some kind of defect, whatever.

5. I know you've got your hands full with shipping issues and the 24/96 iOS fix but is CEntrance likely going to focus on Android support for the M8 in the near future? This would be awesome!!!!!!

Thanks again Michael!! The M8 sounds kick-ass so far.

oh and

Thoughts?

FYI,
1, I Test the charge time, It's cost more than 4 hours to complete the charge, and my input from CEntrance is 12v,2.0A.
       It's will faster if the CEntrance sent us the same charge as DACmini, and this is under 220v (It's make no different after the transfer, I think)
2.  YES, and normal.
3.  Not found
4. 5. etc.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,788 of 5,999
Don't know if this is considered a bug:
Playing portable through iPhone-FlacPlayer+. 
Once I plug in to charge, music stops, and I need to toggle the back switch off, then to iOS again. Then press play to resume playing.

Same here, anytime I charge I have to turn on and off again.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,789 of 5,999
@mgoodman,
I used two pics in my review to introduce M8, hope you don't mind.
I test M8 120hrs and spend 50hrs to write a review, and i also have few questions:
The output 1w(typ) is under how many Ohms?
Which output(4xl,rsa,cmb,pro)is suitable for the 3pin XLR headphone in balance?
Will you come to China?
Hello, which pics are you referring to? The ones from our website? Those should be ok, unless someone says otherwise... Please PM me with with review URL and thanks for the review!

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,790 of 5,999
@mgoodman:

I know the M8 has balanced outputs but I assume due to format factor limitations, its not a truly balanced end-to-end chain? The exact specs of the M8 are still unclear to me but I will assume there is only one AKM and one output stage in this little beast. Not a criticism, just an observation.
AKM has balanced outputs, you don't need a second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back