The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,791 of 5,999
Quote:
That's correct. The optical output has a digital copy of either the USB signal or the iDevice digital signal, depending on the input you choose. This allows you to use an external DAC and headphone amp.

Having said that, we believe that the built-in DAC and HP Amp are so good, that having tried the external ones, you will go back to using M8 for everything (iDevice transport, DAC, HP amp).

We gave you the output so you could try this out and compare. People requested an ability to A/B things with the M8 and we complied.

It's a tweak product, "everything for everyone" it seems, and that's why it took so long...
smily_headphones1.gif

To me a big benefit of the optical out is for those who want to connect the iDevice to their "home receiver with speakers rig", or they want to use the iDevice in their high end headphone rig and they have an available digital input but no free analog inputs.  I am one of those that would use it that way.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,792 of 5,999
I suggested something similar for the output modules quite a while time ago, using some kind of exchangeable faceplates and a ribbon connector of sorts. Turns out that's pretty close to what they have in place already. However, making something "user exchangeable" is really kind of a nightmare from a warranty perspective...

...once you start getting into that it might just make more sense to have multiple different devices rather than trying to cobble everything into one and compromise all over the place.  
All true. A three input device will have to come later. It will be a different device...

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,793 of 5,999
I've a few questions for Michael after having used my M8 for a few hours: (I've got the 4-pin XLR iDevice unit)

1. How long did you find the M8 takes to charge from a 110V outlet?
-- Likely as long as it takes to discharge, so consider 6 hrs as a guideline. It might go faster. We are still collecting data.

2. The 1/8" combo optical jack shines red (presumably the optical signal?) all the time (that the M8 is on). Is that normal??
-- Yes, normal and safe, no reason for alarm. Just don't stare at it for a long time. Don't stare at any other bright lights either :wink:

3. There seems to be a little "click" when I change the M8 to a different mode (iDevice to USB input, iDevice to power off, USB input to iDevice, etc.) Is that the sound of something frying?
-- We have to turn the circuit off and then back on again when we switch modes, so the unit actually turns off for a moment. That produces a click. I recommend taking the headphones off your head when switching modes.

4. My included short 30pin cable didn't seem to connect for some reason... I tried a regular stock Apple 30pin to USB cable and it connected to my old iPod touch just fine. Is the CEntrance cable particularly finnicky?
(Honestly if it turns out the cable has some kind of defect, whatever.
-- This is not normal. Our cable is fine. Please talk to Stacie about that.

5. I know you've got your hands full with shipping issues and the 24/96 iOS fix but is CEntrance likely going to focus on Android support for the M8 in the near future? This would be awesome!!!!!!
-- Looking at this thread, that project is going to be a nightmare... But we will see what we can do :wink:

Thanks again Michael!! The M8 sounds kick-ass so far.
-- Appreciate it!

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,794 of 5,999
I received my M8 last week and all I can say is WOW!!  I absolutely love it and want to thank Michael and his crew for a top notch product.  It has exceeded my expectations, and was worth the wait.  I'll post some impressions in the other thread after some more listening time.  Thanks again Michael, my hat's off to you!  Here's a couple pics of the M8 in action;

Thank you kindly. It's good to see that our hard work is finally paying off!

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #2,797 of 5,999
To me a big benefit of the optical out is for those who want to connect the iDevice to their "home receiver with speakers rig", or they want to use the iDevice in their high end headphone rig and they have an available digital input but no free analog inputs.  I am one of those that would use it that way.
Makes total sense!

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,798 of 5,999
Quote:
Don't know if this is considered a bug:
Playing portable through iPhone-FlacPlayer+. 
Once I plug in to charge, music stops, and I need to toggle the back switch off, then to iOS again. Then press play to resume playing.

Quote:
Please email me and we will work with you to get the details.

For some reason, I can't get the bug to repeat. Instead, when I disconnect power, the iOS device disconnects, then reconnects by itself and resume play automatically. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,804 of 5,999
Quote:

+1.  I am going to use mine in this way, I want the ability to listen to my iPod on my desktop rig.  This is such a versatile product!

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,805 of 5,999
Quote:

Quote:
+1.  I am going to use mine in this way, I want the ability to listen to my iPod on my desktop rig.  This is such a versatile product!

Same here. I will use it as a dock to my Burson Conductor when I don't want to fire up the computer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back