The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,651 of 5,999
Now if only there were a magical switch to say "naw, we don't need class A for this international flight" and get 30 hours instead 
size]

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,654 of 5,999
Quote:
Originally blogged by mgoodman

...We had to jump through some hoops and may have just devised a tricky way to enable 24/96 without losing support for older iPods.

These models will likely support 24/96:

iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up, iPod 6G nano, iPod 4G touch.

I've been informed that selected ipods can play and deliver 24/96 files, but only after downsampling to 16/48.  Is this in fact true, or do by "tricky way" you mean that you have managed to bypass this downsampling so that the ipod can deliver true data resolution at 24/96 through the Apple USB port? 

The same source says that the ipads can store and play 24/96 and 24/192 files, but the 24/192 files get downsampled to 24/96 for delivery.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,655 of 5,999
Quote:
I've been told that these ipads and selected ipods(?) can play and deliver 24/96 files, but only after downsampling to 16 bit.  Is this in fact true, or do by "tricky way" you mean that you have managed to bypass this downsampling so that the idevice can deliver true data resolution at 24/96 through the Apple USB port?  

My ipod touch4G playing 24/96 files via Flacplayer app as posted previously.

Seems to get down sampled to 24/48 If I am reading correctly. 
i got the same screen with the ipod touch 4G and also with my Fostex hp_p1.

Hopefully this is helpful.

ipad (2?,3?,4?)Using the CCK I have read somewhere on head-fi that it can output at 24/96 I believe.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,656 of 5,999
Your ipod Touch would seem to recognize the loaded file as 24/96.  The source says this is actually delivered through the Apple USB port only after downsampling to 16 bit as well as 48 kHz.

The ipad CCK works through the regular USB port so that non-Apple licensed DACs can be used for audio analog output signal and good to 24/96 (undocumented), the Apple USB port being an different issue, but ipad USB data delivery being limited by the iOS for both. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,657 of 5,999
Seems like the iPad is 24/192-capable via the CCK?
Quote:
IMO I reckon more people would complain about a lack of 24/96 support than old device support. Adding to that those "old" iPod's batteries are now dying or have died. Since every year will add more new devices and kill off more older ones it makes more sense to be future proof than past-compatible.

By the way, iPads will stream 192k audio, if someone hasn't already mentioned it. Still testing if it actually works as the only device I have that could show it (via a hub) barfed on the data.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,659 of 5,999
I can also confirm 192/24 via the cck. I've had a couple of dacs to confirm this. Now through other connections, it is limited. There are many who confirmed this as well over at the ipad/cck forum. So this isn't speculation, and has confirmed by many.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,660 of 5,999
Quote:
Well......  That is one heck of a battery!  I do still have this rolling computer case that I don't use though, so it coulda been bigger...

Awwww, just kidding.  This beats the 5 hours, which works for me - it will spend 95% of it's time going from office to home, with a charger in each place.  The another 3% will be stints shorter than 5 hours for me.  That last 2% - I'l be testing battery life...

One Question for Michael / Centrance -

Will one of the Dell computer charger bricks work with the M8? (I think 19.3 V).  I'm hoping so, as I seem to collect them somehow, I've got 2 or 3.  If not - will Centrance either sell or specify additional chargers?

Our standard power supply will be the charger:

http://centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16159

You'd need a beefy one to get that beast of the battery satisfied. Also, it charges an iPad (if connected) and allows the product to run (which takes a lot of power by itself), so that's why you need a big charger.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,662 of 5,999
Quote:
I've been informed that selected ipods can play and deliver 24/96 files, but only after downsampling to 16/48.  Is this in fact true, or do by "tricky way" you mean that you have managed to bypass this downsampling so that the ipod can deliver true data resolution at 24/96 through the Apple USB port? 

The same source says that the ipads can store and play 24/96 and 24/192 files, but the 24/192 files get downsampled to 24/96 for delivery.  

Older ones will never be able to play 24/96 (may be "store", but not play). Newer ones - yes.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,663 of 5,999
Quote:
I can also confirm 192/24 via the cck. I've had a couple of dacs to confirm this. Now through other connections, it is limited. There are many who confirmed this as well over at the ipad/cck forum. So this isn't speculation, and has confirmed by many.

We've seen 24/96. Have not yet tried 24/192 on iPad. Seems far fetched for the time being. Working on other, more pressing things at the moment :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,664 of 5,999
Big thanks to everyone for your support and kind words about the 6.5 hour battery accomplishment.

The new battery is a beefy one indeed and will take several hours to fully charge (more juice goes in, more juice goes out).

But the end result is impressive -- this thing is almost as loud as DACmini, but portable!

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,665 of 5,999
is it the same one as the DACmini's?

Quote:
Our standard power supply will be the charger:

http://centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16159

You'd need a beefy one to get that beast of the battery satisfied. Also, it charges an iPad (if connected) and allows the product to run (which takes a lot of power by itself), so that's why you need a big charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back