The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,621 of 5,999
Quote:

Ermahgerd ruhber bernds

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,622 of 5,999
Quote:

When are we going into the discussion on the length and variations of the 30-pin connector? :D

I'm actually amazed nobody's really started talking about colors yet.
OH WAIT CRAP.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,623 of 5,999
I missed the discussion about 24/96 compatibility, so I'll just give a brief opinion. I think Michael tries to satisfy everyone to a fault, which can be both a blessing and a curse. I would prefer him to make this as close to future proof as possible. As Currawong pointed out, the ipad is capable of playing back 192/24 through the cck. There's no way the cck should be able do something the hifi m8 can't. I know maybe it's a good compromise to limit newer idevices resolution so that legacy devices can  be supported. But you are not going to satisfy everyone.

Heck even after announcing older idevices and ipods would be supported you still had someone to complain their old ipod touch would be limited to 16/48 when they should have been happy it would be supported at all. So satisfying everyone isn't going to happen anyway. And if apple doesn't support these legacy devices, why should anyone else? So imo it would be best to get all you can out of the newer idevice stuff, even if it means not supporting stuff apple doesn't support themselves anyway.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,624 of 5,999
So now I am totally confused.

It appears that the HiFi M8 will not support any of the iPod Classic devices, even the gen 7, at 24/96.  Is that correct?  If that is the case I am not going to run out and get a gen 7 iPod.  I have no desire to get an iPod touch either with its limit to 64 gb of memory and no capability of expansion.  I use a BlackBerry phone for the obvious reason and I am not going to get another phone.  Android?  Another operating system?  No thanks.  The M8 will not support 24/96 on my iPad one either.  And what about this "lightning" connector?  Am I going to need an adapter for that?

Please, I need some answers

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,625 of 5,999
Quote:
So now I am totally confused.

It appears that the HiFi M8 will not support any of the iPod Classic devices, even the gen 7, at 24/96.  Is that correct?  If that is the case I am not going to run out and get a gen 7 iPod.  I have no desire to get an iPod touch either with its limit to 64 gb of memory and no capability of expansion.  I use a BlackBerry phone for the obvious reason and I am not going to get another phone.  Android?  Another operating system?  No thanks.  The M8 will not support 24/96 on my iPad one either.  And what about this "lightning" connector?  Am I going to need an adapter for that?

Please, I need some answers

It's the iPods themselves which cannot play those bitrates...

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,626 of 5,999
Yeah as far as the ipod classic goes,  the lower bit rate limitation doesn't have anything to do with the hifi mate. It's limited by the ipod itself. It's like connecting and old cd player up to a newer dac and wanting it to play back high res files. That's the reason why I wouldn't mind them maximizing the capabilities of the newer idevices, since some support all the way up to 192/24 via the cck.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,627 of 5,999
Darn. Will I be alright with an iPod Touch 4th gen? I can get a refurb one from Apple. I am just going to use it for higher res music files. I can use the laptop for 192. A shame about the iPad one not being able to play HiRes. Maybe I need a Surface Pro 128 too.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,629 of 5,999
PS - more of a question, but perhaps a statement....won't the "mass-market" out there have ripped their music from CDs in the main....at 16/44.1?
PPS - am in the mass market as 24/192 music is not sooo easy to find

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,630 of 5,999
I responded to Michael's question regarding 24/96 compatibility earlier in this thread and am happy with the current plans per the CEntrance blog.  I have my shirt and card -- now all I need is the M8! 

I have some older iPod/iPhone devices that will be limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48 with the M8 and am fine with that.  I understand that compatibility is hard to ensure with different hardware/software combinations.  The key thing is to obtain reliable performance with devices that are connected to it, and to have them function well at the data rates they support. 

As a small aside, I have an iPod Video 5.5 running Rockbox (that won't work with the M8 in any form) that plays files in 16/44.1, 16/48, and 24/96 formats.  Unfortunately, when I did a frequency test recently, I discovered some severe high-frequency rolloff in Rockbox with 16/48 files and less but still noticeable rolloff with 24/96 files -- pretty strong signs that Rockbox uses simple  reconstruction (probably linear interpolation) to achieve a 44.1kHz sampling rate.  So, getting older devices to "talk" in new formats can be tricky.  Performance depends on the playback software, too. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,633 of 5,999
When I saw the proportion:

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,634 of 5,999
Well......  That is one heck of a battery!  I do still have this rolling computer case that I don't use though, so it coulda been bigger...

Awwww, just kidding.  This beats the 5 hours, which works for me - it will spend 95% of it's time going from office to home, with a charger in each place.  The another 3% will be stints shorter than 5 hours for me.  That last 2% - I'l be testing battery life...

One Question for Michael / Centrance -

Will one of the Dell computer charger bricks work with the M8? (I think 19.3 V).  I'm hoping so, as I seem to collect them somehow, I've got 2 or 3.  If not - will Centrance either sell or specify additional chargers?

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,635 of 5,999
Quote:
Well......  That is one heck of a battery!  I do still have this rolling computer case that I don't use though, so it coulda been bigger...

Awwww, just kidding.  This beats the 5 hours, which works for me - it will spend 95% of it's time going from office to home, with a charger in each place.  The another 3% will be stints shorter than 5 hours for me.  That last 2% - I'l be testing battery life...

One Question for Michael / Centrance -

Will one of the Dell computer charger bricks work with the M8? (I think 19.3 V).  I'm hoping so, as I seem to collect them somehow, I've got 2 or 3.  If not - will Centrance either sell or specify additional chargers?

+ 1!
...I was also curious about getting an extra charger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back