The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,606 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry if this has been covered - I looked at the specs and I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but I'm pretty sure these will drive (non-HE-6) planar dynamics, right?

Yes.  I believe that either the LCD-2 or 3 have been used as test headphones.

And since this isn't the HE-6 appreciation thread and I less likely to get crucified here, the HE-6 would probably sound good out of this as well.  While I am sure I wasn't "maximizing" the potential of the HE-6, I was able to get enjoyable sound out of my Nuforce HDP which maxes out at 200 something mW into low impedance headphones.  This is designed to have much more power on tap, plus tone shaping, so the HE-6 would probably sound quite good out of this device.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,607 of 5,999
A question for Michael:

If I have a jail-broken 3G Ipod Touch that plays 24/96 flac files through the Golden Ears app, is it likely that I can use those natively (without downsampling) with the HifiM8?  

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,608 of 5,999
Mostly for DJ use such as cueing/mixing. For home use sometimes I'll have multiple different outputs going such as to a speaker & headphone, but I'm likely a minority who uses it that way. I currently have some Focusrite and Native Instruments gear that I use.

I like how the NI drivers actually interpret it as two separate output devices that you can select. Focusrite only sees one device, but you select the channel offset to determine output.
Great feedback, thank you. This has certainly come up before, so you are not in the minority :wink:

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,609 of 5,999
A question for Michael:

If I have a jail-broken 3G Ipod Touch that plays 24/96 flac files through the Golden Ears app, is it likely that I can use those natively (without downsampling) with the HifiM8?  

Sorry, I'm going to draw a line with jail-broken things. They are not documented well, so it's anybody's guess. What might happen. Lets get the regular units working first... :wink:

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,610 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry, I'm going to draw a line with jail-broken things. They are not documented well, so it's anybody's guess. What might happen. Lets get the regular units working first...
wink.gif

No worries, definitely keep focusing on what you need to.  As someone who plays with jail-broken or rooted devices, I know better than to demand official support.  :) 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,611 of 5,999
ANDROID & 24/96 files ?

Lot of discussion here to know if HiFi-M8 can play the 24/96 content (WITHOUT DOWNSAMPLING) from recent iDevice; but... what about Android ?  

And more precisely about Samsung Galaxy S3 (and S4 coming with Android 4.2) because with 64 Gb internal + 64 Gb (or soon 128 Gb) MicroSD = 128 Gb (or 192 Gb); it becomes a very appealing source with HighRes audio files !!  

--> Will the HiFi-M8 connected to a Galaxy S3 or S4 be able to play WITHOUT DOWNSAMPLING  native 24/96 files ?    Does Android 4.2 offer better USB AUdio support ?   

thanks for your Answer 

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,612 of 5,999
Quote:
Great feedback, thank you. This has certainly come up before, so you are not in the minority
wink.gif

I'd love to see what you guys cook up for future products along these lines. 

As a addendum, take a theoretical device that is 4 channel via two TRS outputs (1/2 and 3/4 respectively). Is it possible to switch off channels 3/4 and use the two TRS as balanced outputs for channels 1/2? I feel like this can be a software/driver thing, though maybe it's a hardware limitation. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #1,613 of 5,999
When is this damned thing coming out, already?  It sounds like a perfect product - iPhone/Android compatibility, hi-def Mac/PC use, balanced output, resistance matching, AND tone shaping.  The only thing it's missing is crossfeed.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,615 of 5,999
I am getting more and more excited as each day passes - it means we are that closer to this thing becoming a reality. Well, it's a reality already ...maybe I mean a reality we can get our hands on...

Anyhow, it is still really encouraging to see all of the blog entries and posts continue as CEntrance pushes this project towards release. I am super excited to have the unbeatable UI of an i-device melded with the DAC, balanced amp, and tone shaping of this unit. Not to mention hi-res support for the desktop. And the ability to use it with CIEM's .Like you said, just about perfect. 

Also, I've got a pair of LCD-2's on the way just waiting to pair up with this beast. Joy!

Keep up the good work Michael and crew!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #1,616 of 5,999
@ theGrobe - nice avatar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back