The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,667 of 5,999
Quote:
But the end result is impressive -- this thing is almost as loud as DACmini, but portable!

Michael,

Congratulations on clearing a challenging hurdle.

I've got a question for you regarding your constant references to "loudness", though. I understand this is an amplifier, but do you really think it makes sense to refer to loudness over, say, refinement? After all, anyone could make a loud product...refined, that's a different story. Also, I doubt anyone really intends to encourage people who haven't already damaged their hearing to listen at loud levels. For me, half of the benefit of an amp is being able to listen at lower levels while still being able to discern all of the available "information".

I'd argue what you're bringing to the table is a combination of refinement, power, versatility, and utility. And I don't think you focus enough on the ability to play high-resolution files out of iDevices. As far as I know, this is the only transportable/portable DAC/amp combo that will be able to play 24/96 out of iDevices without a CCK. I doubt I need to sell you on how significant this achievement will be. 

I feel as if many manufacturers shy away from touting the benefits of solidly-mastered hi-res music simply because most people currently have primarily 16/44.1 files. With all of the advances with DACs, amps, and headphones, not to mention the ever-decreasing cost of storage, it seems silly not to lead people to hi-def music in much the same way as was done with video. Why pay for a 1080P television if you're going to stick with standard definition cable and DVD?

Right now, it seems you'll have the device to beat...at a very reasonable price, I might add. Within reason, the only ways to better it will be to decrease the size and/or integrate a DAP. Keep up the great work!

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,668 of 5,999
I feel as if many manufacturers shy away from touting the benefits of solidly-mastered hi-res music simply because most people currently have primarily 16/44.1 files.

Solidly-mastered and hi-res DO NOT go hand in hand!

@mgoodman:

I don't want to be a party pooper but I just read your post about re-arranging the PCB layout for the LX model. It would seem to me that this product is in jeopardy of making a May release date. Is that a fair assessment?

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,673 of 5,999
@mgoodman

if i have an iphone 4. Or ipod touch 5G what will be the highest music files rate it will be able to output( not store).

I know it can store 24/96 usually with an output down sample to maybe 16/44 or perhaps 24/44.
any improvements on this in the works?

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,674 of 5,999
I have listen to 24/96 msic on my IPAD 2 jst yesterday. Works fine.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,675 of 5,999
Yes, I/We/You know that later pad supports 24/96 via cck. Etc.
also that later ipod touches and iphones can store 24/96 files usually via an app(but not output at 24/96).

My question above is above whether the recent ipod/touch/phones models can store AND play 24/96 natively via hifi-m8.

*i understand if mgoodman may not have an answer yet if he is working on it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,678 of 5,999
Quote:

Michael,

Congratulations on clearing a challenging hurdle.

I've got a question for you regarding your constant references to "loudness", though. I understand this is an amplifier, but do you really think it makes sense to refer to loudness over, say, refinement? After all, anyone could make a loud product...refined, that's a different story. Also, I doubt anyone really intends to encourage people who haven't already damaged their hearing to listen at loud levels. For me, half of the benefit of an amp is being able to listen at lower levels while still being able to discern all of the available "information".

I'd argue what you're bringing to the table is a combination of refinement, power, versatility, and utility. And I don't think you focus enough on the ability to play high-resolution files out of iDevices. As far as I know, this is the only transportable/portable DAC/amp combo that will be able to play 24/96 out of iDevices without a CCK. I doubt I need to sell you on how significant this achievement will be. 

I feel as if many manufacturers shy away from touting the benefits of solidly-mastered hi-res music simply because most people currently have primarily 16/44.1 files. With all of the advances with DACs, amps, and headphones, not to mention the ever-decreasing cost of storage, it seems silly not to lead people to hi-def music in much the same way as was done with video. Why pay for a 1080P television if you're going to stick with standard definition cable and DVD?

Right now, it seems you'll have the device to beat...at a very reasonable price, I might add. Within reason, the only ways to better it will be to decrease the size and/or integrate a DAP. Keep up the great work!

Sorry to be brief when discussing the output power of HiFi-M8.

"Loud" is our internal shorthand for "Output power high enough to drive the most demanding headphones".

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,680 of 5,999
Quote:
@mgoodman

if i have an iphone 4. Or ipod touch 5G what will be the highest music files rate it will be able to output( not store).

I know it can store 24/96 usually with an output down sample to maybe 16/44 or perhaps 24/44.
any improvements on this in the works?

I may need some volunteers to test this out (and there are clearly many of you here who would want to be the "Guinea pigs" for this) . There are many iDevices out there and we certainly don't have every single one here at CEntrance. So, in a short while, I may be requesting help from people who have the likely candidate hardware for these tests. First, I need to gather a list of devices that we would need to check M8 with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back