The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,426 of 2,420
Anyone using any kind of case for their C5/DAC/battery etc? I just found a generic $12 GoPro bash case that is looking good for my stack.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,427 of 2,420
It would be great if a balanced version of this amp surfaces with a bigger battery capacity and oh....
Kobiconn connectors are pretty minimal/cool for small amps....

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,428 of 2,420
Anyone running Grado's with this amp? I picked up Cayin C5 for a hopeful match with Grado SR325e. Source will probably be iBasso DX90.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,429 of 2,420
Anyone running Grado's with this amp? I picked up Cayin C5 for a hopeful match with Grado SR325e. Source will probably be iBasso DX90.

I don't but are the SR325e good with rock music? Hope you will post some impressions after you received your C5 too.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,430 of 2,420

Looking forward to your C5 impressions in general. I have the C&C BH and E12(v1) amps at the moment. I'm happy with both, but the C5 hype is starting to get to me!

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,431 of 2,420
I don't but are the SR325e good with rock music? Hope you will post some impressions after you received your C5 too.

I don't have either yet, few more days away. I've tried Cayin C5 once before over 24 hours and could hear the potential, but I want to give it a better chance with full ownership feelings.

Sure, I own SR125, generally Grado are right at home with rock music. They can sound a little thin and overly airy, but highly praised for guitar reproduction. Hoping C5 can add some body / note weight and smooth them a little.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,432 of 2,420
Recent got the E12A for my iems and I have to say I actually find the C5 to be more versatile in use and sound. The E12A is more neutral in presentation and with most of my earphones it sounds fantastic but headphone wise the C5 is as engaging as I have ever heard it and has the edge over the E12A for my headphones. The C5 jives better with more neutral signature iems and full sized cans.

The E12A with more colored earphones sound stupendous but with neutral ones sounds a bit clinical. So synergy is key with these amps. Overall however the C5 is more versatile being able to sound nice with my iems and has the power to drive just about any full sized can.

I would say if a person just uses mostly iems the E12A is a great option, but for guys that have both headphones and iems, it is the C5 that actually has the edge here.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,433 of 2,420
I don't have either yet, few more days away. I've tried Cayin C5 once before over 24 hours and could hear the potential, but I want to give it a better chance with full ownership feelings.

Sure, I own SR125, generally Grado are right at home with rock music. They can sound a little thin and overly airy, but highly praised for guitar reproduction. Hoping C5 can add some body / note weight and smooth them a little.

I have a feeling that is exactly what the C5 will do for you. It does just this for my MSR7. C5 sound superb using the DX90 line out by the way.

Oh and just a heads up. The C5 does benefit from a break in period. They sound great out of the box but will sound much better the more you use them over some time of use. I would say roughly 2 weeks worth of use and charge.

This was confirmed by me when I got my replacement C5 which was new out of the box vs my initial C5 on the OP. 200 hour plus used C5 vs the open box C5 there was definitely a difference.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,434 of 2,420
Quote:

I'm running X5+C5 with Grado PS500 (with bass boost on) sometimes...sounds terrific imo! Never heard the SR325e though...

Looking forward to your C5 impressions in general. I have the C&C BH and E12(v1) amps at the moment. I'm happy with both, but the C5 hype is starting to get to me!

I've had C&C BH2 (sold) and still have E12 (I'll probably sell it soon to try the E12A), but definitely prefer the Cayin C5. Especially with iems E12 has way to much hiss imo...

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,435 of 2,420

I'm running Grado SR325e with the C5 and Fiio X3 first gen as source.
Beautiful soundstage, airy providing a smooth reproduction. The bass boost is subtle, which I have no need.
Certainly interested in your impressions.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,436 of 2,420
picked up a slightly used minty C5 locally over the weekend & combo'd with a Hidizs dap over LO, its a very good sounding on-the-go rig when matched with a pair of ultrasone signature pro's. i thought the sig pro's sounding very nice just with the hidizs dap but the C5 took it to up to another level (or 2).

just about everything improved. the sig pro's are closed cans but one can hardly call it that when paired with the above hidizs > C5 combo. also tried it with a Grado PS500, TH900, AKG 712, HD600, T1 & i can vouch for C5 having enough juice to drive them all to any listenable volume but none had the synergistic magic that i heard with the C5 > Sig Pro.

I believe i'm finally happy with my portable rig

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,437 of 2,420
I'm running Grado SR325e with the C5 and Fiio X3 first gen as source.
Beautiful soundstage, airy providing a smooth reproduction. The bass boost is subtle, which I have no need.
Certainly interested in your impressions.

I'm using the same combo just with the SR325is and my impression is identical to yours.

Very enjoyable :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,438 of 2,420
Has anyone compared this to a Graham Slee Voyager ?

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,439 of 2,420
Still waiting on my Cayin C5. Despite rushing it express post for asap delivery we hit a dead end 4 day Easter long weekend right before delivery.

So I'm in the racing pits waiting.....

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,440 of 2,420
Still waiting on my Cayin C5. Despite rushing it express post for asap delivery we hit a dead end 4 day Easter long weekend right before delivery.

So I'm in the racing pits waiting.....

It will be a good match for your 535 and er4s,the bass boost is very nicely controlled,with good detail and not overdone.It has good synergy with dx90 also especially for headfones.It adds a little warmth to the combo and a musical tonality overall depending on your dx90 fw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back