The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,411 of 2,420
   I think they could have easily shrunk down the size and have the same performance by using a thinner housing.

or maybe a bigger battery is in the works...

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,412 of 2,420
  This thing sounds.. Amazing!!! I feel like Harry Potter lost in the maze except the maze is made up of sound. So immersive and magical, I completely agree with what everyone has been saying about this amp.. the detail, the soundstage, the impact from the bass boost.. all incredible. Through plenty of research I think it's safe to say that I couldn't have made a better choice for a first amp 
etysmile.gif

Lucky you!! Cost me quite some money to arrive at this amp LOL.

Enjoy! It really is the most fun and capable portable amp I have heard so far.

Cheers,
K

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,413 of 2,420
I almost settled for the SoundMAGIC A10, thought it might lush up my VC1000s a bit but I was afraid of it not having enough mid bass. E12 and E11 were also options but I wanted more musicality rather than keeping with the sterile neutrality of my headphones. Any feedback on burning in options? Are my Vsonics ok to just sit there with the music playing and should I burn in with or without the bass boost on?

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,415 of 2,420

That shipping cost is nonsense.  Have you tried to see how much the shipping cost would be from Mouser or Digikey?  I don't know if they ship internationally but it would be a worth to try. 

Further update - so I've burned in the ADA4637-1BRZ for about a day now and I just have to say - Cayin should consider these in their next amplifier.  The LME49600 is a very capable output device and is the reason I chose to buy the C5.  The only thing I don't like is the aluminum case is pretty thick in comparison to the internals.  I think they could have easily shrunk down the size and have the same performance by using a thinner housing.

Thank you very much, I saw your suggestion and the contents of the DIY, and I think I willsoon to test this result, please wait, because need a little time to buy.

Need to note is that the sound is subjective, which requires an evaluation and a moresamples to determine the thing, now I can't say more likely, however, I can't wait.

On the size and thickness of the problem, yes. Thank you for your suggestions, this is a step in the right direction.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,416 of 2,420

Guess this is the correct AD OPAMP.... just double-checking as there were 3 or so variations...
http://th.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/ADA4637-1BRZ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvtNjJQt4UgLalm6EXZly%2fyNysNWiYmVSw%3d

Yes, these are the correct ones.  Please be careful when you change them out, they are very small and also surrounded by other components.  It would be very easy to ruin the amp but someone who has experience with surface mount devices should be easily able to do it.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,417 of 2,420
  Thank you very much, I saw your suggestion and the contents of the DIY, and I think I willsoon to test this result, please wait, because need a little time to buy.

Need to note is that the sound is subjective, which requires an evaluation and a moresamples to determine the thing, now I can't say more likely, however, I can't wait.

On the size and thickness of the problem, yes. Thank you for your suggestions, this is a step in the right direction.

Thank you for wanting to try these op amps.  I know that you won't be disappointed in the result.  Please let us know your thoughts on the sound improvement after you have tried them.  It will take the C5 to another level.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,418 of 2,420

Yes, these are the correct ones.  Please be careful when you change them out, they are very small and also surrounded by other components.  It would be very easy to ruin the amp but someone who has experience with surface mount devices should be easily able to do it.

Thanks, I know a long-in-the-tooth vintage amps re-builder. He will do the opamp swap out.
Might cover the case in wood veneer as well...like this...

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,419 of 2,420

If I may suggest as well, respectfully, that the plastic (ABS?) end is prone to breakage and scratches.

Perhaps an all-metal enclosure might be more suitable, especially since this is designed for use as a portable.

(I do think it's a really fine sounding amp.)

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,420 of 2,420

If I may suggest as well, respectfully, that the plastic (ABS?) end is prone to breakage and scratches.

Perhaps an all-metal enclosure might be more suitable, especially since this is designed for use as a portable.

(I do think it's a really fine sounding amp.)

If not for the ugly plastic end on this amp, I would be a proud C5 owner by now. For me it was a deal-breaker. An external re-design and I'd be on this like velcro.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,422 of 2,420
Mar 28, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,425 of 2,420
I think a metal bumper on each side of the volume button like Fostex/Sony have looks much cooler and functional....the plastic bit needs to go IMO.
Anyway, this amp is fairly new so it is 95% for a first amp ! This is all constructive criticism !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back