The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #76 of 2,420
  So for grins and giggles I just did an A/B against my ICAN using my SRH1540. So I took a guess on my earlier statement of how the C5 has some similarities to the ICAN. Now I know for certain both these amps have a very similar sound, tonality, and dynamics to each other. The C5 actually has a wee bit more bass emphasis but otherwise both sound eerily similar. Considering how well the ICAN measures and sounds. The C5 is showing me how good it truly is.

How does the soundstage compare between the two, with the 3D switch being off on the iCAN?

popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #77 of 2,420
This is the one area I thought both were very similar. Though the ICAN does have a slightly flatter sound giving it a touch more neutralish tilt even though it has that British hifi sound to it kinda similar to Meridian sound so it does sound slightly and I mean slightly more width but depth I think the C5 has a bit more. How the sound expands in all direction is very addictive on the C5. Very excellent layering of sound on both amps. The C5 being a $100 less. Of course with the 3D enhance on the ICAN it sets that amp apart over all the other amps as far as stage goes but minus the 3D enhance it is playing on a very similar field of sound.

Excellent with the SRH1540 and I have never heard the H3 sound as good..In fact one of the best synergies so far I have heard with my phones is with my DX90+ C5 hooked up to the XBA-H3. Sounds like a stupid high end system happening in my ears.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #78 of 2,420
Nice! I've been looking for a replacement after selling my E12. The major downfall with it was the lack of depth and width, sounding almost congested at times. Though the sound quality wasn't as good, I still found myself just using the HP out on my F887 rather than the LOD out going into the E12 because of the lack of depth.

This baby sounds exactly like what I'm looking for...

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #79 of 2,420
For the asking price the C5 is it. It has definitely exceeded all expectations for me. I honestly believe the sonic qualities alone is more than worth the purchase. It simply sounds stupendous every time I hear it. Oh yea it is so powerful it will drive the SRH1540 full blast volume at 1/3rd the nob on the low gain. lol.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #84 of 2,420
  Well spam away. I think maybe 15 posts. Could be 25 or more dont know.

I'll help...

hoho~ seems like that, I have to keep replyin' or posting till I could attach pictures.
Well, the measures, I think, better using pictures to show, including few curves

So, what got you intrigued in buying the C5?

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #85 of 2,420
if you post the pictures at an image host site and link them one of us will post them up for you.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #86 of 2,420
  I think this amp is made more to compete with the E12DIY with the best op amps and buff combo it can muster more so than the standard E12. 

So the E12DIY is better than the standard E12? I thought that it was just an unassembled version so you can customize? also, in regards to SQ, in what ways is the C5 superior to the E12? I like the looks of the C5 because of the script 'Cayin' logo on the body, but the plastic on the top around the volume knob looks rather fragile. The E12 is also quite handsome but the color and style of the C5 make it look more expensive 
k701smile.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #87 of 2,420
Peter got a new C5 going his way and I am certain he will chime in with his thoughts between the two. I only have the E11K so I don't know for sure but we will find out soon enough.

Though from the way mr Change is explaining his old E12. The C5 has much more than just power on tap it's sonic ability is very similar to the best amp I own which makes it a precious commodity to me for listening to my phones on the go.. It might change a bit when the caps are nicely broken in we will see. Actually I have been letting it play music all day will go take a listen. Will be back.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #88 of 2,420
  So the E12DIY is better than the standard E12? I thought that it was just an unassembled version so you can customize? also, in regards to SQ, in what ways is the C5 superior to the E12? I like the looks of the C5 because of the script 'Cayin' logo on the body, but the plastic on the top around the volume knob looks rather fragile. The E12 is also quite handsome but the color and style of the C5 make it look more expensive 
k701smile.gif

From the comparisons between the C5 and iCAN, I can almost assume that the C5 is steps ahead of the E12. I had the iCAN and E12, at the same time, and the iCAN was significantly better.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #89 of 2,420
Well for me what pushed me over the edge in trying out the C5.. Cuz they make amps like this.

This is just one of many High end amps these guys make.. We are not dealing with people that don't know their craft. You don't see Fiio making amps like this.

These guys clearly know how to make an amp is my point. The C5 is for real.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #90 of 2,420
  So the E12DIY is better than the standard E12? I thought that it was just an unassembled version so you can customize? ..

Yes and no. E12 is meant to drive full sized can up to 600ohm, so the noise performance isn't as good as it can be due to the need of higher gain. Also, the crossfeed and bass EQ circuits also restrict E12 performance. These are all optimized in E12DIY and therefore improves its overall SQ. The DIY parts are just added bonus on top of the improved topology. Even with the same opamp+buffer combo as E12, E12DIY will still sound better. E12IEM is coming soon as well, based on the E12DIY version but fixed to MUSES02 + LME49600. It should have compatible SQ to E12DIY, if not better when it comes to very sensitive headphone and IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back