The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #46 of 2,420
  Ugh I tried to read that, and my head hurts afterwards. Those google translates are painful.

but oh so interesting and good, makes you use instinct and flex those psychic abilites as to what they are saying I find.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dsnuts you wait until those caps get a good break-in.
Sure would be interesting to take it to a local hi-fi shop and try their "wall-o-cans" demo section out. Leave your wallet at home.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #47 of 2,420
Ya that is what I am afraid of..I can't imagine what this is going to sound like after week of constant use which is my plan. I never thought I would use my burn in station to burn in amps but it makes sense..I have them all plugged in and will test out how long the battery lasts as well. So far the 12 hours the manufacturers claim seems to be about right..I am down to one light on the battery meter and it has been playing for about 10 hours non stop..

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #48 of 2,420

The C5 clearly has more power than my 2step. It is comparable in power driving ability to my ICAN but that is a desktop amp with a wall wart.

Aha ya so I might have to take back this statement. 400mW vs 800mW on the C5. Make that twice as powerful as the ICAN? Lol. There is no way I will use that much power. I have yet to actually use it on high gain. It is very unnecessary..

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #49 of 2,420
I feel like sometimes the power specs don't show how well the amps can drive cans. For instance, the Fiio E12 is supposed to be 880 mW at 32 ohms, but I never felt like it was THAT powerful. I had other amps that had less mW and did more with them. I guess it's all subjective based on the cans and the amps themselves.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #50 of 2,420
I think your right. I have a feeling the real power output of the C5 is more in line with what the ICAN is about. Could be more powerful. Unfortunately I don't own any 600ohm cans or orthos to try out with the C5. I do know it is powerful however.

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #51 of 2,420

It is very new. Came out less than a month ago when I was browsing on ebay I saw it and the design caught my attention. I am very confident this amp will be a significant step up from your cmoys. I just plugged in the charger while it is playing. Charges while playing.. This player will have no issues driving anything you own. Don't have the ones you own to try but I am confident it will sound great using everything you have.

Thanks Dsnuts, you convinced me to  pull the trigger. Already had good advice from you about budget Hifimediy dac and i was satisfied.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #52 of 2,420

Thanks for the link nick. Basically what this guys says in bold. Cleaner. full bore vocal dynamics, I suppose sing into your bones would be better translated as "send shivers up my spine" Lol. That is not too far from my own experience. I have my C5 hooked up to my burn station. Yes the same burn station where I burn in my earphones and headphones. This time to burn in my 3 amps I recently required. The C5 the E11K and a little unknown $30 amp called Lines 970.

Is this a hint of another thread to come? :)
Your threads always keep me interested Ds :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #53 of 2,420
Hi Dsnut, out of the 3 would the Cayin be the best bet if I want to use them with some high impedanca full size cans along with some highly sensitive iems. Hope to see a head to head comparison against the iCan if that is convenient for you. Thanks in advance.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #54 of 2,420

Is this a hint of another thread to come? :)
Your threads always keep me interested Ds :)

Could be. I am still burning my A970 in and the sound has changed a bit so I am waiting to see if opens up a bit more. Will have some impressions soon on the discovery thread. I think some of the other guys have recently bought this as well. $30 compelling price for a powerful little Amp. 
Hi Dsnut, out of the 3 would the Cayin be the best bet if I want to use them with some high impedanca full size cans along with some highly sensitive iems. Hope to see a head to head comparison against the iCan if that is convenient for you. Thanks in advance.

Oh yes. Not only the most qulified for your needs but most importantly the best SQ out of the 3 easily as the price difference should indicate. Though IMO this C5 is the best bang for money out of the 3 even though it is the most expensive. 
  Thanks Dsnuts, you convinced me to  pull the trigger. Already had good advice from you about budget Hifimediy dac and i was satisfied.

I am confident your gonna be happy with your purchase.Look forward to what you got to say about it. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #55 of 2,420
I will take the plunge on this amp next week. Still gotta get rid of some of my current stuff. Once I do that, this amp is first on the list.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #56 of 2,420
Could be. I am still burning my A970 in and the sound has changed a bit so I am waiting to see if opens up a bit more. Will have some impressions soon on the discovery thread. I think some of the other guys have recently bought this as well. $30 compelling price for a powerful little Amp. 

Oh yes. Not only the most qulified for your needs but most importantly the best SQ out of the 3 easily as the price difference should indicate. Though IMO this C5 is the best bang for money out of the 3 even though it is the most expensive. 
I am confident your gonna be happy with your purchase.Look forward to what you got to say about it. 

Thanks Dsnut. Now, it's a toss up between the C5 and the iCan. Can only pick up one at a time so I hope to see your comparison soon and decide which cones first.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #57 of 2,420
Thanks Dsnut. Now, it's a toss up between the C5 and the iCan. Can only pick up one at a time so I hope to see your comparison soon and decide which cones first.

To me it is simple. If you want one that can be used out and about or at home.. The C5. If you plan on only using it for home and don't mind the extra $100 for the ICAN. It is an astounding high quality amp. I think you will be happy with either one.  Now I am talking about the ICAN Micro which is their desktop amp. If you were thinking about the Macro their much cheaper portable amp. I would get the C5 instead.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #58 of 2,420
Yup. Looking at the iCan Micro. It have been on my wish list for some time now. Looking for more impression pairing with the HD650. On the other hand I would want to upgrade my portable rig which brings me to the C5.
So, will have to decide which comes first. Thanks for the thoughts Dsnut and will decide soon. Might end up with both though.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #59 of 2,420
We should have some more impressions of this amp soon. Tonight I tried pairing my SRH1540, my Fidelio X1, and have been burning/ using the amp for roughly 24 hours. My full sized cans sounds outstanding using this amp. Vocal performance is absolutely stunning on this amp..Vocal dynamics have to be heard on this amp..It does everything well but vocals have that extra something, I think more rangy is a good way to describe it with absolutely no harshness to be heard.. It does seem to last the 12 hours according to the manufacturers spec.

I suppose if I was to complain about something I do wish the amp lasted longer but considering how much power this thing has on tap 12 hours is very reasonable..I do notice that bit of rawness of sound that I heard on open listen is starting to dissipate. I plan on having this amp play most of this week to fully work out the hardware..It already sounds very refined so any increase in sonics is going to be a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back