The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #61 of 2,420
So for grins and giggles I just did an A/B against my ICAN using my SRH1540. So I took a guess on my earlier statement of how the C5 has some similarities to the ICAN. Now I know for certain both these amps have a very similar sound, tonality, and dynamics to each other. The C5 actually has a wee bit more bass emphasis but otherwise both sound eerily similar. Considering how well the ICAN measures and sounds. The C5 is showing me how good it truly is.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #62 of 2,420
I just saw the Cayin C5 Portable Headphone Amp online today and was wondering how it compares to the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc?

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #63 of 2,420
So for grins and giggles I just did an A/B against my ICAN using my SRH1540. So I took a guess on my earlier statement of how the C5 has some similarities to the ICAN. Now I know for certain both these amps have a very similar sound, tonality, and dynamics to each other. The C5 actually has a wee bit more bass emphasis but otherwise both sound eerily similar. Considering how well the ICAN measures and sounds. The C5 is showing me how good it truly is.

Thanks for the impression Dsnut. Appreciate it. Time to put on my thinking cap.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #64 of 2,420
I think this amp is made more to compete with the E12DIY with the best op amps and buff combo it can muster more so than the standard E12. The closest amp I own in the Fiio family is my new E11K which is an outstanding amp for the price but to be honest my C5 is operating on a completely different playing field. I think the only real comparison between the E12 and the C5 besides the form factor is that they share similar driving ability but minus that the op amp and buff combo of the C5 should be superior to that of the E12. More comparable to some of the better op amp and buff combo on the DIY edition.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #69 of 2,420
For the record, where did you guys order from?

Is Shenzhen audio legit? It looks about $10 cheaper than eBay. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #70 of 2,420
I ordered mine from Shenzhen audio.

Many here use them although this was my first purchase from them. Since they accept PayPal all should be fine.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #71 of 2,420
He just compared it against the E11K, successor to the E11, against the Micro Ican, bigger brother to the Nano Ican.

My bad, I mean E12. Yeah I see comparison to Micro, and Micro is a bit better than C5 but not as cost-effective. Nano is only 30$ more than C5 but it has more solid build, not sure about the SQ compare to both Micro and C5 though.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #72 of 2,420
I've got the E12 also so if not sooner we'll know when mine arrives.

@Dsnuts did you try the bassboost yet?

That's really the only problem I've got with the E12, the bassboost is very poorly implemented there.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #73 of 2,420
  My bad, I mean E12. Yeah I see comparison to Micro, and Micro is a bit better than C5 but not as cost-effective. Nano is only 30$ more than C5 but it has more solid build, not sure about the SQ compare to both Micro and C5 though.

Hopefully we'll have more hands on this unit for more comparisons.  I only have one other amp at the moment so I won't be as much help.  

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #74 of 2,420
Glad to see this thread starting to catch fire. I'm going to order mine in the next day or two. I've had an Alo Rx MK2 and trying to sell my Arrow, so I'll try to give a bit of a comparison.

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #75 of 2,420
I've got the E12 also so if not sooner we'll know when mine arrives.

@Dsnuts did you try the bassboost yet?

That's really the only problem I've got with the E12, the bassboost is very poorly implemented there.

Its more like a fullness booster more than a real bass booster like what is on the ICAN. I will say the bass on the C5 is excellent without the bass boost.. It will be more than enough bass for most. For bass heads it isn't going to make you want the amp but for most guys I think it will be more than satisfactory.

Once I get the amp nice n burned in I will do a more complete write up soon. For now I am very impressed with this amp. It seems to improve slightly with every full day of burn in I have done since getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back