The CanalWorks Discussion thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #91 of 201
I found this thread quite late, can CW ciems are accessible for world wide customers, like Europeans? I always like Japanese products but they are so hard to get from outside of Japan (ex: FitEar). A friend of mine suggested this brand to me and to be honest, they got my attention.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #92 of 201
JM-Plus, Null, should do overseas. I've not checked what I wrote in the OP, might have covered it.

I'll be getting some impressions done for these sometime this month.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #93 of 201
Apparently, CanalWorks is releasing two new models, the CW-L32 and CW-L32V, according to their latest update.

JM-Plus, Null, should do overseas. I've not checked what I wrote in the OP, might have covered it.  
I'll be getting some impressions done for these sometime this month.

Yeah, AFAIK, the following are the official overseas dealers for CW (in order of initial availability):
  1. Mingo-HMW (Hong Kong)
  2. JM-Plus (Taiwan)
  3. Null Audio (Singapore)

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #95 of 201
Your guess is as good as mine. I checked the Japanese Twitter-verse, and couldn't find anything especially revealing. Then again, I can't really read Japanese.

If his number scheme stays consistent, then this model should be the follow-up to the CW-L31, as the CW-L12 is the follow-up to the CW-L11.

The CW-L31 is a four-driver model, and was the previous flagship before the CW-L51.

The 'V' should be some kind of variant denotation, like the CW-L51a is to the CW-L51.

Basically, if all CW models are designated CW-L(x)(y)(z), then the model description should be (x+1) drivers, version (y), variant (z).

CW-L01: 1 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L01P: 1 driver, version 1, variant 'P' (portable)
CW-L11: 2 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L12: 2 driver, version 2, variant [default]
CW-L31: 4 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L32: 4 driver (?), version 2 (?), variant [default]
CW-L32: 4 driver (?), version 2 (?), variant 'V' (Vocal? Vanity? Vermicelli? Veal? Vicissitudes?)
CW-L51: 6 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L51a: 6 driver, version 1, variant 'a' (adjusted? anime? average_joe?)

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #98 of 201
Hi Tomscy2000,

I am interested to know how CW-LO5QD sounds compared to JH 13 FP, AKG k3003, NT 6Pro or CustomArt Pro330?

Now many have listened to them so winder if you could give some impressions.

How's the treble? Reading some impressions about NT 6 Pro, the clarity is better compared to JH13 pro. Just wondering how.

Is the bass weak?

Thanks in advance!

Your guess is as good as mine. I checked the Japanese Twitter-verse, and couldn't find anything especially revealing. Then again, I can't really read Japanese.

If his number scheme stays consistent, then this model should be the follow-up to the CW-L31, as the CW-L12 is the follow-up to the CW-L11.

The CW-L31 is a four-driver model, and was the previous flagship before the CW-L51.

The 'V' should be some kind of variant denotation, like the CW-L51a is to the CW-L51.

Basically, if all CW models are designated CW-L(x)(y)(z), then the model description should be (x+1) drivers, version (y), variant (z).

CW-L01: 1 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L01P: 1 driver, version 1, variant 'P' (portable)
CW-L11: 2 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L12: 2 driver, version 2, variant [default]
CW-L31: 4 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L32: 4 driver (?), version 2 (?), variant [default]
CW-L32: 4 driver (?), version 2 (?), variant 'V' (Vocal? Vanity? Vermicelli? Veal? Vicissitudes?)
CW-L51: 6 driver, version 1, variant [default]
CW-L51a: 6 driver, version 1, variant 'a' (adjusted? anime? average_joe?)

About time someone created something on CW! :wink:

I actually listened to demos of much of the CW lineup a couple months ago, but I've been way too busy to write anything interesting on it.

One point of correction: the CW-L05QD uses four Sonion 2354 drivers, not Knowles ED-29689 drivers. In general, CanalWorks uses drivers from Sonion and not Knowles, with the exception being the CW-L51 model.

Here are some notes I wrote in private to a friend (who was considering getting CW) a while back:

Overall, I was most impressed by the CW-L05QD --- its combination of detail, instrumental separation, openness of soundstage make it the closest thing I've heard to an earphone mimicking STAX. There was definitely sub-bass roll-off, but not horrible. BARKS.jp's review of the CW-L05QD essentially called it an ER4S on steroids, and in some ways it is. More accurately, its CW's own CW-L01 on steroids, and the CW-L01 itself was most likely modeled closely after the ER4S.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #99 of 201
Quote:
  I am interested to know how CW-LO5QD sounds compared to JH 13 FP, AKG k3003, NT 6Pro or CustomArt Pro330?

I have not heard the latter two models, and have only heard the demo of the JH13FP, so I hesitate to make sweeping statements. Let's just say that the QD is only for the most analytical-minded of minds. Something like the JH13FP or K3003 will give you a more fleshed-out, complete experience, whereas the QD is singularly focused on giving you detail and precise imaging.

How's the treble? Reading some impressions about NT 6 Pro, the clarity is better compared to JH13 pro. Just wondering how.

The treble is similar to that of the ER4S. The NT6Pro should be significantly brighter, but I don't know for sure because it's not something I've heard.

Just FYI, clarity != transparency != detail; all three are related, but they are not equal. It's easy to give better clarity to the leading edge of notes by transiently boosting the 5-6 kHz area, and with sufficiently quick decay, the extra sibilance won't be too prominent. Transparency is mostly a balance of the frequencies and whether certain bands mask away adjacent bands, e.g. mid-bass masking sub-bass or lower midrange, upper-midrange masking lower treble, lower treble masking upper treble, etc., but also a factor of cumulative spectral decay. Detail is a metaproduct of clarity and transparency, as well as sheer transducer performance, e.g. clean impulse response, THD+N, power handling, etc.

Is the bass weak?

If you think ER4 bass is weak, then you'll think the CW-L05QD's bass is weak. It is no more impactful, while being slightly better extended.

I'm a little short on time, so that's all I can elaborate on for now; there are a few others that have heard the CW-L05QD demo, such as Xymordos and MuppetFace, so they might be able to chime in.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #100 of 201
Tom is spot-on with the L05QD. It's one of the most analytical sounding cIEMs I've ever heard personally, much more so than something like the UERM, so the K3003 and JH13Pro are going to give you a totally different kind of experience. They sound much "fuller" but also somewhat less accurate.

TBH I suspect most folks would like the JH13Pro or K3003 more. Or Canal Works own L51a.

However the L05QD sets the bar for its type of sound, if that's what you're into.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #101 of 201
I've just asked them how much would the flagship cost, and the price would be near the 2 grand (Singapore dollars) mark
PjVLrL

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #102 of 201
Hi Tomscy2000,

Thank you for a comprehensive explanation.
It gives a good understanding what's in store for QD. I guess it's Ety on steroids / very detailed and analytical.

Will look for more impressions from others.
This brand is so under the radar and that is why i am interested to know.

Less hype i suppose from other japanese brands.

Quote:

I have not heard the latter two models, and have only heard the demo of the JH13FP, so I hesitate to make sweeping statements. Let's just say that the QD is only for the most analytical-minded of minds. Something like the JH13FP or K3003 will give you a more fleshed-out, complete experience, whereas the QD is singularly focused on giving you detail and precise imaging.

The treble is similar to that of the ER4S. The NT6Pro should be significantly brighter, but I don't know for sure because it's not something I've heard.

Just FYI, clarity != transparency != detail; all three are related, but they are not equal. It's easy to give better clarity to the leading edge of notes by transiently boosting the 5-6 kHz area, and with sufficiently quick decay, the extra sibilance won't be too prominent. Transparency is mostly a balance of the frequencies and whether certain bands mask away adjacent bands, e.g. mid-bass masking sub-bass or lower midrange, upper-midrange masking lower treble, lower treble masking upper treble, etc., but also a factor of cumulative spectral decay. Detail is a metaproduct of clarity and transparency, as well as sheer transducer performance, e.g. clean impulse response, THD+N, power handling, etc.

If you think ER4 bass is weak, then you'll think the CW-L05QD's bass is weak. It is no more impactful, while being slightly better extended.

[rule]
I'm a little short on time, so that's all I can elaborate on for now; there are a few others that have heard the CW-L05QD demo, such as Xymordos and MuppetFace, so they might be able to chime in.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #103 of 201
HI MuppetFace,

Thank you for the additional info and suggestion.

I dig your reviews on other thread / FAD and i love your reviews on PF and Heaven series. I happen to love PF X-G hence i trust we have some common brand we like :)

May I ask if you happen to own any of the CW models and what's your impressions?

I am on the fence with both QD and L51a models. I am just hoping that CW is a good brand that offer great sounds with understated / less hype appeal. However within the same price range we have seen many brands and models to choose from: SE 5, NT6 Pro, JH Roxanne / JH 13 /16, CustomArt 330PRO, Fitear 335dw / 435.

Honestly the reviews of NT6Pro from VZ and AJ really intrigue my interest with the word "Clarity", and JH 13 FP obviously. The other is a review of fitear 435. These three seem to be the "kings of clarity".

Tom is spot-on with the L05QD. It's one of the most analytical sounding cIEMs I've ever heard personally, much more so than something like the UERM, so the K3003 and JH13Pro are going to give you a totally different kind of experience. They sound much "fuller" but also somewhat less accurate.

TBH I suspect most folks would like the JH13Pro or K3003 more. Or Canal Works own L51a.

However the L05QD sets the bar for its type of sound, if that's what you're into.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #105 of 201
only from a demo, all i can say QD is very special. i also like it alot. transparent and layering is excellent. i think it is least musical of all you have mentioned.

Tom also given an excellent impression of QD in first page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back