The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Dec 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #826 of 1,323
  Ok, I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, and I'm ready to join the club for sure.  I bought them used off eBay for my opening bid that I didn't think would be enough.  They're a pre-facelift model, and I've now done my portable cable mod to them so I can use them as a phone headset.  They have the richness and detail that I was looking for, and convenience of use as they don't require an amp to sound good straight out of the phone.  They block lots of sound.  The squeeze is a bit much, but I have a big head.  The cord was microphonic as has been noted before, but I think it's the fault of the shell as it remains microphonic even with the Skullcandy Mic1 cable that has no resemblance to the original.

Overall, I'm as impressed with these as the DT990 that's basically my favorite, for different reasons.

The squeeze will ease up with time. I dont even notice it on mine anymore...and I still love the hell out of them after 2+ years. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #827 of 1,323
I've owned a pair of DT1350s for 2-3 years now, and still love them.  I don't find the squeeze to be a problem for myself.  My main problem with them is that my kids also like them.  So, for a holiday present I'd like to get my college age twin girls each a pair of something, but NOT spend that much money.  Are there similar sounding headphones that cost less?  Of course you get what you pay for, but what could I get them that would satisfy them?  Style counts too.  (They don't care for the 1350 style but like the sound).  We went to the B&H store and tried a lot of different ones, but I wasn't satisfied with any of them, and of course I brought my pair with me and they all sounded dull or thin by comparison.  The only ones they both liked were the Marshall Majors, but I didn't.  I tried those again at the Apple store and didn't mind them as much there but didn't have my 1350s with me.  

Oh, and one complaint about the 1350s from my wife and daughters, they pull hair, but I think all over the head phones will.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #828 of 1,323
  I've owned a pair of DT1350s for 2-3 years now, and still love them.  I don't find the squeeze to be a problem for myself.  My main problem with them is that my kids also like them.  So, for a holiday present I'd like to get my college age twin girls each a pair of something, but NOT spend that much money.  Are there similar sounding headphones that cost less?  Of course you get what you pay for, but what could I get them that would satisfy them?  Style counts too.  (They don't care for the 1350 style but like the sound).  We went to the B&H store and tried a lot of different ones, but I wasn't satisfied with any of them, and of course I brought my pair with me and they all sounded dull or thin by comparison.  The only ones they both liked were the Marshall Majors, but I didn't.  I tried those again at the Apple store and didn't mind them as much there but didn't have my 1350s with me.  

Oh, and one complaint about the 1350s from my wife and daughters, they pull hair, but I think all over the head phones will.  

Have a look at the beyerdynamic DTX 501p or DT235. They're not exactly like the dt1350 but sound great for the price. The only cans ive heard that sound like the dt1350 are the dt1350 lol, the t50/t51 are probably the next closest.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #829 of 1,323

The squeeze will ease up with time. I dont even notice it on mine anymore...and I still love the hell out of them after 2+ years. 

I only had mine for 2 weeks and returned them due to the squeeze (and due to kinda realizing that "on ears" just ain't for me). But I prolly should have kept them if what you are saying is true... because now it seems that I am destined to be tortured every time someone posts wonderful things about them in this thread!

Come to think of it, you were the original hypster that got me interested in them (not this thread, but somewhere). So it's nice to see that you are still "loving the hell out of them". Damn, I miss them :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #830 of 1,323

I only had mine for 2 weeks and returned them due to the squeeze (and due to kinda realizing that "on ears" just ain't for me). But I prolly should have kept them if what you are saying is true... because now it seems that I am destined to be tortured every time someone posts wonderful things about them in this thread!

Come to think of it, you were the original hypster that got me interested in them (not this thread, but somewhere). So it's nice to see that you are still "loving the hell out of them". Damn, I miss them :frowning2:

Did you have the original model or facelift version?

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #831 of 1,323
Did you have the original model or facelift version?

It was a person child... it was the facelift version, except that the cups looked like the original (everything else, such as pads & headband, was facelift).

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #833 of 1,323

Yeh i was jst thinking perhaps you also got one of the original metal headbands which had a terribly tight clamping force.

Right. If I had waited longer for them to stretch out, or if I had used my brute strength to stretch them out, then they probably would have been okay. Gotta get them again some day!

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #834 of 1,323

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD25 SP?

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #835 of 1,323

lol...it's understandable, cause the clamp can be bothersome at first, especially if you wear glasses. But yeah, mine eased up after a while to the point where it's not even an issue anymore. 

Hey, it's never too late to grab a pair *evil grin*

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #837 of 1,323

Right. If I had waited longer for them to stretch out, or if I had used my brute strength to stretch them out, then they probably would have been okay. Gotta get them again some day!

I'm hoping beyerdynamic will be update them in the near future and bring them up to the fit and comfort level of the t51 in which case i will snag a pair. I love my t51s but sometimes they can sound a little too V shaped and i get the itch for the dt1350 hehe.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #838 of 1,323

I'm hoping beyerdynamic will be update them in the near future and bring them up to the fit and comfort level of the t51 in which case i will snag a pair. I love my t51s but sometimes they can sound a little too V shaped and i get the itch for the dt1350 hehe.

T51P comfort with DT1350 sound? Hell yeah!

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #839 of 1,323

I'm hoping beyerdynamic will be update them in the near future and bring them up to the fit and comfort level of the t51 in which case i will snag a pair.

Would not hold my breath... the target audience for the DT1350 are professionals like DJs and sound engineers, the T51p just does not sit tight enough... besides that they were just recently updated and clamping force did not change. They don't consider that a flaw, its intended to clamp more than the consumer targeted T51p.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #840 of 1,323

Would not hold my breath... the target audience for the DT1350 are professionals like DJs and sound engineers, the T51p just does not sit tight enough... besides that they were just recently updated and clamping force did not change. They don't consider that a flaw, its intended to clamp more than the consumer targeted T51p.

Ok, but is the DT1350 sound dependant on that clamp? If not, then I think they would sell a lot of "DT1350 vicegrip light" versions to us lowly consumers lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back