The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #796 of 1,323
I'm curious, is the isolation on the dt1350 that much better than the hd25-II's?  I own the 25's and use them at work most of the time, but I do wish they would block some more noise at times.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #797 of 1,323
  I'm curious, is the isolation on the dt1350 that much better than the hd25-II's?  I own the 25's and use them at work most of the time, but I do wish they would block some more noise at times.

Thanks

I have both and I don't feel one gives greater isolation then the other.  And to be fair, its easier to get the HD25's best seal, then the DT1350.  Maybe the newer ear pads on the Beyer phones offer something a bit easier to achieve, but I can't imagine by much...

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #798 of 1,323
It's funny. The isolation was better for me with the stock pads, but the seal and sound are way better with the t51p pads. I am kinda curious about the velour pads now. I'm still diggin the headphones but got too good of a deal on some othet closed full sized cans that are replacing these as my work headphones.

Dunno if I will bother getting the velours at this point...

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #799 of 1,323
Isolation with the stock post-facelift pads is excellent.  I can't hear people talking right next to me while I'm wearing them.

And a note on pre- and post-facelift models: either pads make an enormous difference, or there were some driver/enclosure changes with the facelift.  I went to a meet today and got to A/B mrscotchguy's DT1350s (pre-facelift, T51p pads) with mine (post-facelift, stock pads).  There was a clearly audible difference between them, to the point where they practically sounded like different headphones.  Scotchguy's were much, much brighter.  The treble was way forward, and the bass felt recessed.  It wasn't a positioning thing, because the differences persisted through multiple swaps and both of us heard it.  Mine had better bass extension and fuller, more rounded sound.  It was somewhat amp-dependent - the difference wasn't as clear (though still noticeable) when using my Matrix Mini, but playing with scotchguy's PS GCHA and the demo Oppo HA-1, it was really obvious.  I first noticed it because I was comparing the amps - I thought using two of the same headphones would be a good way to see what the differences were - and noticed that the Oppo (with scotchguy's headphones) was really bright in comparison to the PS, even though I remembered it sounding pretty smooth and balanced with most other headphones.  But then I swapped the headphones, and the PS was the brighter of the two.  A/Bing them on the Oppo after that made the differences pretty obvious.

The differences between the pads were pretty clear as well - mine sealed much better and had better isolation.  It helped that they had more clamp as well, being a little newer.

Anyone else had a chance to compare pre and post facelift models?

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #800 of 1,323
According to several Beyerdynamic reps there was no change to the driver or enclosure besides optical differences when going from 1gen to facelift. DT1350 are said to have wide model to model variations, plus the pads (and their state of wear, i.e. usage) obviously change the sound.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #801 of 1,323
I get so frustrated every time I wear this to get a sealed sound.... 
mad.gif
  It takes me a lot of adjusting before I can enjoy what im listening. Is there a technique on how to wear this? I have a love and hate relationship with this headphone. Im this close in selling them in Ebay ;(

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #802 of 1,323
Boil in hot water for two minutes and hang dry for two days. Try again. Add tenderizer (those made for beef) for better results.

Just kidding.

I find that the memory foam used are slow acting too but they fit well in a minute or two. All you need just a little patience. Or you can try the velour pad upgrade as suggested by some. I tried some of the pads suggested here and hated the sound. So I am back to the stock pads. No complaints. I guess older folks develop a little more patience.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #803 of 1,323
  I get so frustrated every time I wear this to get a sealed sound.... 
mad.gif
  It takes me a lot of adjusting before I can enjoy what im listening. Is there a technique on how to wear this? I have a love and hate relationship with this headphone. Im this close in selling them in Ebay ;(

I would suggest sliding them back on the ear.  Just put them on, then adjust back a touch....

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #806 of 1,323
Hi Fellow Head-fier's,

I'm seriously considering the Beyer DT 1350's as my next purchase, but I need your opinion.

I currently have the DT51's  and I love the sound.  Great headphone for rock as it has great bass and good detail. (I'm listening to "Letting Go" off the new "Venus and Mars" remaster right now.  Sounds excellent!)  The only thing I have a quibble with is the lack of top end detail.  It definitely rolls off the top end to my ears which makes it sound ever so slightly veiled.

My question is:  If I buy the 1350's, will I be getting more of the same?  Great bass, detail, but no top end sparkle?  I read on Innerfidelity that Tyll likes the 1350's, but dinged them ever so slightly for having a lack of top end.  That sounds exactly like my 51's.  It makes me wonder if all Beyer portable headphones lack top end.  The curious part is when I listened to their full size headphones, I thought they had great treble, detail, but they seemed to lack bass!  Maybe my ears are in need of repair.

Anyway, for those who have heard or own both, what's your comparison of the 1350's against the 51's?  My question again is:  is it enough of a change sound-wise to justify buying the 1350's when I already have the 51's?

By the way, the rest of my chain is Ipod with AmpliFlac to Chord Hugo to headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #807 of 1,323
  Hi Fellow Head-fier's,

I'm seriously considering the Beyer DT 1350's as my next purchase, but I need your opinion.

I currently have the DT51's  and I love the sound.  Great headphone for rock as it has great bass and good detail. (I'm listening to "Letting Go" off the new "Venus and Mars" remaster right now.  Sounds excellent!)  The only thing I have a quibble with is the lack of top end detail.  It definitely rolls off the top end to my ears which makes it sound ever so slightly veiled.

My question is:  If I buy the 1350's, will I be getting more of the same?  Great bass, detail, but no top end sparkle?  I read on Innerfidelity that Tyll likes the 1350's, but dinged them ever so slightly for having a lack of top end.  That sounds exactly like my 51's.  It makes me wonder if all Beyer portable headphones lack top end.  The curious part is when I listened to their full size headphones, I thought they had great treble, detail, but they seemed to lack bass!  Maybe my ears are in need of repair.

Anyway, for those who have heard or own both, what's your comparison of the 1350's against the 51's?  My question again is:  is it enough of a change sound-wise to justify buying the 1350's when I already have the 51's?

By the way, the rest of my chain is Ipod with AmpliFlac to Chord Hugo to headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Are you talking about the T51p? I do not know a Beyerdynamic model by the name DT51 and could not find one either.

To me the DT1350 is more balanced and removes the tad of warmness the T51p has, so it might fit your bill. I own both, but soundwise I prefer the DT1350 for having less upper and better deep bass, more linear midrange / top end.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #809 of 1,323
  Hi Fellow Head-fier's,

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Yes the dt1350 has a similar rolloff on the top end. They are fairly similar sounding with the dt1350 being a bit more balanced overall. I found the t51p to have a stronger midbass emphasis where as the dt1350s bass is fairly flat with great extension. I had the first facelift version of the dt1350s but i found the t51's to be more comfortable as the earpads are much better. You could probably make the dt1350 just as comfortable by putting the t51 pads on them i guess. Ultimately i went with the t51 as its available with an inline remote and the 90 degree jack is much better for portable use.
I believe they purposely roll off the top end on portables to reduce listening fatigue for those long commutes and bump up the bass to help drown out ambient noise.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #810 of 1,323

Yes the dt1350 has a similar rolloff on the top end. They are fairly similar sounding with the dt1350 being a bit more balanced overall. I found the t51p to have a stronger midbass emphasis where as the dt1350s bass is fairly flat with great extension. I had the first facelift version of the dt1350s but i found the t51's to be more comfortable as the earpads are much better. You could probably make the dt1350 just as comfortable by putting the t51 pads on them i guess. Ultimately i went with the t51 as its available with an inline remote and the 90 degree jack is much better for portable use.
I believe they purposely roll off the top end on portables to reduce listening fatigue for those long commutes and bump up the bass to help drown out ambient noise.

Thanks Chailee80---sounds like both Beyer's are more the same than different...is there any portable headphone that sounds close to the T51 with more top end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back