The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Nov 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #811 of 1,323
  Thanks Chailee80---sounds like both Beyer's are more the same than different...is there any portable headphone that sounds close to the T51 with more top end?

While it doesnt sound like the t51p the martin logan mikros 90 has one of the best top ends i've heard period and its clarity bests that of both the dt1350 and t51. You can find them heavily discounted online for around $80 which i reckon is steal. The only downside is comfort can be an issue for some people as they clamp fairly tightly.
Another option is the sennheiser hd25 alu, again it doesnt sound quite like the beyers but it does have more of an exciting top end imo.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #812 of 1,323
Funny you should mention the HD 25 Alum's. I just ordered them from the Cable Company. Tyll from Innerfidelity rated them a bit higher than the DT 1350's.

I'll have to hear the Martin Logans because of the good reviews and the price. Thanks again.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #813 of 1,323
While I've never heard the Alu-version of the HD25 the normal (old) version does indeed have a more prominent treble than the DT1350 (but its a bit more than neutral I think). On the other hand its bass is very far from the fascinating presentation of the DT1350, does not reach anywhere as deep and has more upper bass (which I personally don't like). Nevertheless its an interesting option for Rock etc. I guess.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #816 of 1,323
Well, I've found out that you can't wear these in winter due to the metal construction - they get bloody cold and with my bald head that's a real problem - especially if it gets to minus 20 Celsius, which it does here. I don't fancy ripping skin of my head when I need to take them off.

I'm always a bit leary of headphones constructed out of metal for the above reason, and that good plastic is typically tougher and more resilient than metal for certain uses, including headphones.

Back to the HD25s until spring for me.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #817 of 1,323
Since this would be the fan club, I figure this is the group to ask: what are your other favorite headphones, especially among fullsize models?  I'm a big fan of the DT990, and I'm hoping that the DT1350 will be similar enough to that for me to have a portable that has the kind of sound that I prefer.  Anyone on here a user of DT990 or Q701?  I'm familiar with both of those.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #818 of 1,323
  Since this would be the fan club, I figure this is the group to ask: what are your other favorite headphones, especially among fullsize models?  I'm a big fan of the DT990, and I'm hoping that the DT1350 will be similar enough to that for me to have a portable that has the kind of sound that I prefer.  Anyone on here a user of DT990 or Q701?  I'm familiar with both of those.

I had the Q702s for a few months, if that's helps at all. I personally felt the top end was gratingly harsh at times and overall I felt the 1350s were the better headphone. My other favorite headphones include the Audeze LCD-X, the Beyerdynamic T1, and the Grado PS500. (To my ears, the 1350s sound like a mini version of the T1)

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #819 of 1,323

I had the Q702s for a few months, if that's helps at all. I personally felt the top end was gratingly harsh at times and overall I felt the 1350s were the better headphone. My other favorite headphones include the Audeze LCD-X, the Beyerdynamic T1, and the Grado PS500. (To my ears, the 1350s sound like a mini version of the T1)

I was going to say the T5p, instead of the T1, but its good to know I'm in the general region of someone else.  The T1's soundstage makes it too far away from the DT1350 for my ears.  I love my DT1350, but that is one area where it lacks....

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #820 of 1,323
  To my ears, the 1350s sound like a mini version of the T1

Thats interesting... to me listening to the DT1350 after hearing the T1 was always a rather sobering experience... I always considered the DT1350 the best mobile headphone I know, but in direct comparison it... faded. Quite a bit.

what are your other favorite headphones, especially among fullsize models?

I would also name the T1, plus the K812. I also like the V-Moda M-100 as a mobile headphone (my main genres happen to be electronica of various kinds) and the Ultrasone Signature DJ.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #821 of 1,323

I was going to say the T5p, instead of the T1, but its good to know I'm in the general region of someone else.  The T1's soundstage makes it too far away from the DT1350 for my ears.  I love my DT1350, but that is one area where it lacks....

I haven't heard the T5p, so can't comment on that, but I agree the soundstage is significantly larger on the T1...but that's why I said a "mini version of the T1" 

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #822 of 1,323

Thats interesting... to me listening to the DT1350 after hearing the T1 was always a rather sobering experience... I always considered the DT1350 the best mobile headphone I know, but in direct comparison it... faded. Quite a bit.

I have no doubt if I went from the T1 to the 1350 back to back I'd feel the same way. That's about what I'd expect comparing a $179 phone (that's what I paid) to a $1000+ phone it's going to be a pretty wide margin. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #823 of 1,323

I have no doubt if I went from the T1 to the 1350 back to back I'd feel the same way. That's about what I'd expect comparing a $179 phone (that's what I paid) to a $1000+ phone it's going to be a pretty wide margin. 

You're of course right, any other outcome would be even more irritating...
To me it was quite interesting how unreliable sonic memory can be as I would not have predicted that much of a difference before I checked with my home stack and in direct comparison.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #824 of 1,323
Ok, I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, and I'm ready to join the club for sure.  I bought them used off eBay for my opening bid that I didn't think would be enough.  They're a pre-facelift model, and I've now done my portable cable mod to them so I can use them as a phone headset.  They have the richness and detail that I was looking for, and convenience of use as they don't require an amp to sound good straight out of the phone.  They block lots of sound.  The squeeze is a bit much, but I have a big head.  The cord was microphonic as has been noted before, but I think it's the fault of the shell as it remains microphonic even with the Skullcandy Mic1 cable that has no resemblance to the original.

Overall, I'm as impressed with these as the DT990 that's basically my favorite, for different reasons.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #825 of 1,323
Congratulations on your purchase! I have them for several years now and they still fascinate me, especially how they manage to produce such deep reaching bass out of such a small enclosure...

Have fun & enjoy your new headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back