The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Jul 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #766 of 1,323
  If you guys haven't tried the Velour Pads with your 1350's you are really missing out. Even larger leatherette doesn't do it. These are significantly more comfortable, do not cause your ears to get warm, and allow subterranean bass. You can get them from the Sonix site here. I can now wear mine for hours on end in comfort.

From my experience velour pads tend to not isolate as well as leather type pads. How well do those velours isolate outside noise in comparison to the stock ones?

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #767 of 1,323
Sorry for the delayed impression...

I'm really happy with my EDT 51p (pleather pad) purchase. Upon first use, there was a noticeable upgrade to the sonics from the pre-faceliftads. Here's what I noticed:

Pros
Comfort
Better seal
Tighter bass
More bass presence at lower volumes
Less bass boom/bloat at high volumes
Cleaner, richer treble
Doesn't attract as much skin oil (eww) :cool:
Heats up slightly less, and cools more quickly

Cons
Even with better comfort and seal, slightly reduced isolation
Looks like black clouds
Still gets warmish after about 30 minutes
Slightly reduced sounds stage (dude to better seal?)

Other
The opening diameter is quite a bit smaller
Due to poofiness, the pads have slight inconsistencies, be sure to put the poofiest side on the back of the ear

I haven't tried velour, mind you, but from my experience with pad rolling with very headphone I own has proven one thing. Every velour sounds different. I am not sure how drastic the sound will change going from leather...

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #768 of 1,323

From my experience velour pads tend to not isolate as well as leather type pads. How well do those velours isolate outside noise in comparison to the stock ones?

That may be true to a small degree with these but I consider it an advantage.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #771 of 1,323
Tried all the ear pads "mods" here, and one thing, I hated the sound. The high frequencies have become a lot harsher. There is this silky layer on the original pads which smoothed out the high frequencies of the DT1350, but without them in the T50/T51 pads (I bought a bunch of them from Beyer), they are now a lot harsher, which no one mentioned in earlier posts.

If you are not a fan of harsher high frequencies, I ask of you to think twice before embarking on this "improvement".

Now I have to reinstate the pads. Beyer must think I am mad to end up buying the original. I accidentally ripped that silky payer in the original. Pretty cheesed off at myself.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #772 of 1,323
Tried all the ear pads "mods" here, and one thing, I hated the sound. The high frequencies have become a lot harsher. There is this silky layer on the original pads which smoothed out the high frequencies of the DT1350, but without them in the T50/T51 pads (I bought a bunch of them from Beyer), they are now a lot harsher, which no one mentioned in earlier posts.

If you are not a fan of harsher high frequencies, I ask of you to think twice before embarking on this "improvement".

Now I have to reinstate the pads. Beyer must think I am mad to end up buying the original. I accidentally ripped that silky payer in the original. Pretty cheesed off at myself.

I'm notorious for liking bright headphones. These pads added a bit of much needed clarity, without it being harsh to my ears. I do not like the sound of dark or recessed mids/highs on headphones. All that said, in this hobby every tweak becomes a YMMV situation.

If you're getting sibilance, could it be your source?

An alternative pad for comfort that retains the original pre-facelift sound is the wider pad that is now sold with the facelift. That should a wee bit of comfort without changing the sound, from what I've read...

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #773 of 1,323
I'm notorious for liking bright headphones. These pads added a bit of much needed clarity, without it being harsh to my ears. I do not like the sound of dark or recessed mids/highs on headphones. All that said, in this hobby every tweak becomes a YMMV situation.

If you're getting sibilance, could it be your source?

An alternative pad for comfort that retains the original pre-facelift sound is the wider pad that is now sold with the facelift. That should a wee bit of comfort without changing the sound, from what I've read...

Source are the same, and moreover, I have studio monitors and other cans for reference.

You are right, I might have have to look for the other "puffier" ones that are sold with the facelift. Anyone have the SKU/Part Number?

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #774 of 1,323
There is absolutely no increase in harshness with the Velour pads I posted about above. That being said I only listen to 320k and above.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #775 of 1,323

Source are the same, and moreover, I have studio monitors and other cans for reference.

You are right, I might have have to look for the other "puffier" ones that are sold with the facelift. Anyone have the SKU/Part Number?

That would be the EDT 1350 SL (partnr. 910376), but the material (foam and skin) is exactly like the original pads (i.e. not softer like the T51p pads).

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #776 of 1,323
Quote:

That would be the EDT 1350 SL (partnr. 910376), but the material (foam and skin) is exactly like the original pads (i.e. not softer like the T51p pads).

Thanks plakat. Would go try them out.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #777 of 1,323

This was exactly my experience as well. Sibilant highs, more bass and the tasty mids were completely sucked out. I'm going to keep using mine for a few days and see if they shape in at all, but it's sorely obvious how differently the T51p has been tuned.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #778 of 1,323
Happy and proud DT1350 owner here!
Its been a week since I got the 1350, so far so good! I'm using it with E12 (with bass boost on 
basshead.gif
), right now I'm waiting for the arrival of the T51 ear pads. Love this headphone!

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #780 of 1,323
Well after a a couple of weeks of testing I have to say I'm going back to the HD25 as my daily drivers as they're just that much more fun for listening to music.

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased with the DT1350 as I was looking for portable sealed monitoring HPs to check my mixes on the go, and these fit the bill perfectly, but the sound is just to detailed and precise to be enjoyable for any length of time. They really do tell you the truth, which depending on your purpose is either a good or bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back