The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
May 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #662 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know why Beyers made their first headphone sound neutral instead of 'fun'? Not sure how audio was perceived in 1937.

Tube natural and fun...

May 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #663 of 4,303
Quote:

Anyone know why Beyers made their first headphone sound neutral instead of 'fun'? Not sure how audio was perceived in 1937.

Headphones were mainly used in (radio)studios, never at home.

May 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #667 of 4,303
Hi All,

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Long story short, I ended up returning the DT48E, and actually not buying anything to fill its niche. I don't record often enough to warrant another headphone, and I don't have a very complicated setup, so I figured from now on, I'll just use my Shure E4 as I tend to edit with my monitors anyway.

That being said, the DT48E was rather detailed at the recital. It was flat and neutral, if you want to call it that, but not natural in any sense as the highs went up farther than what I naturally perceived, and they did not present the cello as warm as I actually heard it. The piano sounded rather convincing however. But as I've mentioned before, these phones did not wow me to the point of wanting to keep them around. They're great at what they were meant for, but for my needs for recording, and my needs for aural pleasure, they did not fit the bill. And don't get me wrong, they're not bad. Just not what I needed or was looking for.

-Keith

May 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #668 of 4,303
How can any live instrument have 'warmth.'? Isn't that added in the recording studio or by a headphone bassed on their FR? I been to a few HS performances and instruments sounded cold and metalic? This was with guitars, drums, and vocals. I was also very up close. Out side venue.

May 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #669 of 4,303
Quote:

How can any live instrument have 'warmth.'? Isn't that added in the recording studio or by a headphone bassed on their FR? I been to a few HS performances and instruments sounded cold and metalic? This was with guitars, drums, and vocals. I was also very up close. Out side venue.

Acoustic guitar tuned and played well sure sounds warm to me.

May 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #670 of 4,303
Quote:

PA?
A symphony orchestra has plenty of warmth. The warm timbre of the wood instruments is very present. Nothing cold to it. Not extremely detailed either for that matter. The hyper detail is usually something that is added in the recording, not something you'll hear in a live concert.

May 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #671 of 4,303
Quote:

How can any live instrument have 'warmth.'? Isn't that added in the recording studio or by a headphone bassed on their FR?

eek.gif
confused_face(1).gif

May 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #672 of 4,303
Quote:

A cello definite sounds warm in a live environment.

May 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #673 of 4,303
Yikes. Have been interested in these phones, but that interest is waning. No warmth in live instruments? The sound of a live cello is what I would call the textbook definition of a warm sound.

May 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #674 of 4,303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones were mainly used in (radio)studios, never at home.

Are you sure? I can't find it now, but I recall reading that the DT48 had a small following among audiophiles back in the Fifties. I don't think headphone listening gained widespread popularity until the HD-414, though. I
(I like the HD-414, too
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back