The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
May 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #646 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man this thread has gotten way off track.......

---

It seems some people are assuming that a recording, whether it be a cd or Lp ,sounds anything like the original event in the first place, especially older recordings .

Once you have factored in mic placement, the kind of mic used, editing , mastering, limitations on the recording equipment of the day ..etc

I mean what if you theoretically had a vinyl recording of a jazz performance
from 1960 and you also theoretically had a raw dat recording of the same performance using a totally neutral mic .

How close to the real event do you think the two versions of the same event would sound ?

popcorn.gif

Thats why I ignore the antagonist that have nothing constructive to say. Rogue and Passwords. They come off with a show me, prove to me attitude. Passwords already stated the DT48 'will probably sound like sonic feces.' His words from that 'other' site.

listening to a live event, and the same event being recorded in a studio will sound different. I'm sure in a studio setting the DT48 do get it right like the Motown engineer stated, minus spatial differences.

Bottom like...Many audiophiles confuse pleasant sounding with accurate sounding.. And when you call them on it you get a resume of concerts they been to to prove they know what accurate, neutral sounds like.. I find it interesting that accurate and liking the sound go hand in hand. you can't seperate the two. In a studio setting accuracy and neutrality can be measured, yet peoples opinions on what neutral and accurate it gets in the way. Like the guy that claimed the DT48 is overly 'colored.'

May 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #647 of 4,308
Quote:

Once you have factored in mic placement, the kind of mic used, editing , mastering, limitations on the recording equipment of the day ..etc

I mean what if you theoretically had a vinyl recording of a jazz performance
from 1960 and you also theoretically had a raw dat recording of the same performance using a totally neutral mic .

How close to the real event do you think the two versions of the same event would sound ?

popcorn.gif

Well seeing as what the performance sounds like depends on what instruments are being played, the age of them, their condition, the player, the intoxication level of the player, the room acoustics, where your sitting in the room, how full the room is, etc etc etc... well it's starting to sound like there is no truth!

Oh wait, I just want to enjoy music and hear the details. Why is this debated again?

May 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #649 of 4,308
Quote:

Take the BLUE pill
tongue_smile.gif

I'm on head-fi, I think I took the red pill already.
wink.gif

Maybe listening to an 808 recorded through a field recorder via ipod earbuds will cure me. "My god, it sounds so real and neutral! It's exactly like real drums!"

May 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #650 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on head-fi, I think I took the red pill already.
wink.gif

Maybe listening to an 808 recorded through a field recorder via ipod earbuds will cure me. "My god, it sounds so real and neutral! It's exactly like real drums!"

lol...check your prescription...and try the 808 on K702.
icon10.gif

May 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #651 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well seeing as what the performance sounds like depends on what instruments are being played, the age of them, their condition, the player, the intoxication level of the player, the room acoustics, where your sitting in the room, how full the room is, etc etc etc... well it's starting to sound like there is no truth!

Very nice. You might as well just put "I'm right and you're wrong" in your signature and be done with it.
wink.gif

There was no problem in this thread until certain individuals decided to start critiquing other listeners instead of keeping the dicussion focused on the headphones. At least if this stayed on topic all there would have been is a disagreement. No problem. I think the sound is x and you believe it is y. It happens all the time around here and seldom do people make it personal.

It seems pretty clear to me that despite claims by adanac061 to the contrary, dissenting opinion really is not welcome in this thread. I don't have a problem with that either, but you should just be up front and honest about it instead of burrying a dissenting view in several pages of defensive posts that are more about qualms you guys have with the listener than about the headphones.

At least I spent $329 on a set of these phones and actually tried them. That alone should qualify me to give an opinion on their performance. I have done that and I'm truly sorry it doesn't agree with yours. I won't be posting in this thread again, which will be a great relief to several of you I am sure.

To KBI, sorry, but I'm fresh out of cookies.

--Jerome

May 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #652 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. You might as well just put "I'm right and you're wrong" in your signature and be done with it.
wink.gif

There was no problem in this thread until certain individuals decided to start critiquing other listeners instead of keeping the dicussion focused on the headphones. At least if this stayed on topic all there would have been is a disagreement. No problem. I think the sound is x and you believe it is y. It happens all the time around here and seldom do people make it personal.

It seems pretty clear to me that despite claims by adanac061 to the contrary, dissenting opinion really is not welcome in this thread. I don't have a problem with that either, but you should just be up front and honest about it instead of burrying a dissenting view in several pages of defensive posts that are more about qualms you guys have with the listener than about the headphones.

At least I spent $329 on a set of these phones and actually tried them. That alone should qualify me to give an opinion on their performance. I have done that and I'm truly sorry it doesn't agree with yours. I won't be posting in this thread again, which will be a great relief to several of you I am sure.

To KBI, sorry, but I'm fresh out of cookies.

--Jerome

I'm sorry that you don't find any value in this discussion.

I'm really am glad you posted in here, because you have have brought several interesting discussions forward that have made me think over the last week .

After tomorrow, I will no longer even own the Dt48, (I'm going to try the er4-s or er-4b and see how that's works for my particular tastes.)
but I'm still going to read and contribute to this thread ...

I hope you do the same. THE REASON .... simple .. there are lots of people who have the same taste as you do in music and headphones and your opinion speaks to them, and will make sure that they don't waste hard earned money on the DT48.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

And to continue that theme, I have posted my final thoughts on the Dt48 on the main post.....

Quote:

LAST AND FINAL EDIT**

I am selling these headphones and moving on to try some neutral iems.

In retrospect, I can honestly say that the DT48 were way ahead of their time.

I truly believe, that the DT48 can take you closer to the actual recording , then any headphone I have heard so far.

But let me clarify that, I said RECORDING not performance.

This headphone will not make your commercial music sound ....great.
It will not make your classical LP sound like you are at the concert.
Instead, It will show you the deficiencies in recording techniques.

The DT48, In my opinion , only truly shines when listening to raw, unprocessed sound from digital recorders (like the Samson H4 and mini disc recorders) as well as binaural mic recordings you can find online.

The DT48's main flaw is that it presents neutral bass as seen on a frequency response graph .Unfortunately, flat bass in a headphone does not sound like flat bass from a speaker, it has almost no impact and you can't "feel" the low bass.

In the end, I recommend giving them a try if you have the time and spare $$$
if only for historical purposes, they were the first Hi-Fi headphone afterall.

Thanks for reading.

...the end.

May 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #654 of 4,308
That's strange. Why would he have only 1 driver?

There's no way shipping can be $25. Shipping to California for the entire headphone from that seller was $16.

May 9, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #655 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange. Why would he have only 1 driver?

I know Beyerdynamic sells the drivers as singles, not in pairs. That's my guess.

The shipping rate is really high...

May 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #657 of 4,308
Well, he had 4 single drivers last listing and made a new listing with only one? It doesn't make much sense.

May 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #658 of 4,308
The rubber padding is not compatible with the extra 48e ear pads.. Not even close.. I'm hoping to re buy the DAC1 to use with my DT48.. Then maybe the GD C2C.. or go balanced with the LITE DAC/AMP. Supports xrl outs.

May 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #660 of 4,308
He sold them all last time. I really don't know. I'll stop talking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back