The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,751 of 4,308
  Folks, how do you remove the glue residue left my an old pad on the capsule?

I use alcohol, but acetone should work too. It's not a plastic pair of cans, it's an armored headphone: kick it, throw it, acetonalize it at will :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,752 of 4,308
  Here´s some feedback on using a pair of HD25 velour pads with my DT48E 25ohm (not tested with the DT48As) after a couple of months listening tests.
These little fat pads have a significant impact on sound quality - don't need more than a few tracks to spot it.

It changes the overall character of the cans. Bottom line is, yes, you do get more bass.

However, the magical clarity is gone, you get the average mids of any other mid range dynamic headphone. Highs don't have "dat" air in them also. It's quite nice on electronic music or anything not too timbre rich (but I'm too demanding in this area anyway). It's still furiously fast sounding and the pads are way more confortable. I'm yet to test these pads with the cups open or semi-open... maybe later :)

I don't think anyone with a single pair of DT48 will want this pads on them as a permanent solution, YMMV.

I'll have a go next with DT1350 velours if I can find them at a good price. Don't know what it is that we are constantly trying to improve stuff even when what you have for starters is so amazing to begin with...

Really appreciate your comment Xaval. Just for the completeness: did you try the HD25 pleather, velours or aftermarket pads? I am quite jealous you got your DT48a for 60 euros. Where did you get that deal? + Which is getting the most headtime between your DT48a and HD250 II?

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3,753 of 4,308
I got genuine velours for the HD25. I don't have the HD250II, though. But I expect to get a pair sooner or later :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,755 of 4,308
  Are you guys using the rubber pads or the over-ear pads in your DT48? Is one better than another?

I read the over the ear pads give better bass presence and impact.. And maybe a bit bigger sound stage. My pair sounds much better with my new OPPO Flagship BRP with the built in headphone amp and high end sabre dacs.. These headphones really scale well with better gear.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #3,757 of 4,308
There appears to be also low impedance models that have neither A nor E letter. See for example this offer in German eBay. Are all of those E models, although there should be only 25 ohm and 200 ohm version of it? What is the sound characteristics of this model? I have bought a new 200 ohm version DT48e and I am very satisfied with it, but I am wonderning how this model might sound?

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,758 of 4,308
  There appears to be also low impedance models that have neither A nor E letter. See for example this offer in German eBay. Are all of those E models, although there should be only 25 ohm and 200 ohm version of it? What is the sound characteristics of this model? I have bought a new 200 ohm version DT48e and I am very satisfied with it, but I am wonderning how this model might sound?

The E models have ohms of 8, 25, and 200.. The A models are only 5 ohms.. From what I read, the 8ohm models are from the 70's and sound less conventional then modern DT48 models.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,759 of 4,308
Ok, thanks! This clarified the issue. By the way, I think my DT48 (200 ohm) is extremely transparent phone. Much more realistic than AKG 501. The latter excels only in highs and producing concert hall like acoustics. But there is also something artificial in K501 that is not present in DT48.

I think DT48 is very accurate for soundscapes, where only one mic was used for recording. It is way too revealing for watching movies. For example, in "The Master" there is a scene where a girl sings in park. I could immediatedly hear that her singing was recorded later in studio and dubbed. It is weird to see character singing in park, but clearly hear there studio walls :) Usually I recognise dubbing from sync issues.

Similarly, one can sometimes hear that typical modern classical recordings are mixed from multiple mics hanging very far. K501 sounds more "realistic", because music appears as if it would be coming from concert hall. Hence it is not that DT48 could not handle large orchestral pieces, because it certainly is able to do that, but it sounds better with chamber music and jazz, because there are typically fewer mics distorting the impression of space. Those ascetic recordings and some little bit older recordings may sound extremely realistic.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,760 of 4,308
Ok, thanks! This clarified the issue. By the way, I think my DT48 (200 ohm) is extremely transparent phone. Much more realistic than AKG 501. The latter excels only in highs and producing concert hall like acoustics. But there is also something artificial in K501 that is not present in DT48.

I think DT48 is very accurate for soundscapes, where only one mic was used for recording. It is way too revealing for watching movies. For example, in "The Master" there is a scene where a girl sings in park. I could immediatedly hear that her singing was recorded later in studio and dubbed. It is weird to see character singing in park, but clearly hear there studio walls
smily_headphones1.gif
Usually I recognise dubbing from sync issues.

Similarly, one can sometimes hear that typical modern classical recordings are mixed from multiple mics hanging very far. K501 sounds more "realistic", because music appears as if it would be coming from concert hall. Hence it is not that DT48 could not handle large orchestral pieces, because it certainly is able to do that, but it sounds better with chamber music and jazz, because there are typically fewer mics distorting the impression of space. Those ascetic recordings and some little bit older recordings may sound extremely realistic.

Welcome. No headphone I heard or owned comes close to capturing studio reverb like the DT48.. I know some people who claim they don't like the DT48 because voices have an 'echo.' It's not the headphone. It's the recording. I owned the T1, and it couldn't capture studio reverb half as well.. I guess it's how the DT48 was made. Same with sibilance.. Some artist and recordings have a lot, other times, it's hardly recognizable. When I want to dissect a recording, I use my DT48.. When I just want to enjoy the music, I use my 701s..

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #3,761 of 4,308
I noticed Spectrum Audio has these listed for sale. I thought they were sold out everywhere.
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/beyerdynamic-dt48e-200.html?gclid=CJS0lJfd_r4CFQqDfgod5a0A-A

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #3,762 of 4,308
I noticed Spectrum Audio has these listed for sale. I thought they were sold out everywhere.
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/beyerdynamic-dt48e-200.html?gclid=CJS0lJfd_r4CFQqDfgod5a0A-A

400 Bucks...ouch! But if money is no object, then I say go for it. I'm so glad I snagged a used set a few years back for well under that. Still my favorite phone for vocals....they give me goosebumps listening to a good singer. Anyone know where I can get a re-cable for a reasonable price? One channel sometimes cuts out and I have to wiggle the cable to get it to come back....happens a lot, unfortunately.

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,763 of 4,308
$400 is the usual price for a new pair. A recable is often suggested.
http://apuresound.com/v3.html
For example, but I'm sure there are many options for cables.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3,764 of 4,308
Thanks AzraelDarkangel but the re-cable from those folks would cost me way more than I paid for my dt48.....not an option I'm afraid. Will have to check around for a much more reasonable price. Perhaps some headfi'er does re-cabling for a more affordable price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back