The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,782 of 4,308
After having experienced quite a few DT48s here are my definitive "facts" for music listening, as in, let's get out of the polarization discussion about these cans:

1) Get late production models: E version on 25ohm and A version on 8 ohm
2) Use only late production DT 48E pads.
3) Don't use anything else - I've bought quite a few pads from other models and brands trying to "enhance" the DT48 even more. Invariably I've gotten worse results.

I've settled with a DT48A and DT48E with late production pads, the ones you can still buy brand new. 
There's bass. With these pads, all DT48As have the most and best bass of the two models. There's bass. There's no sub bass. The bass it's articulate and detailed just as long as the final mix has provided it in the first place.

There's treble. With these pads, all the DT48Es have sweet, airy and detailed treble of the two models. There's great treble. There's little to no decay into the abolute darkness.

Both models have bass. Both models have treble.
The mids are some the best under the dynamic sun and under the 1K pricing if you apreciate on stage perspective.
It's a wire into the brain - headstage is no larger than de cups.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #3,783 of 4,308
With the Kudelski I get sub bass and its visceral. I use only Meier amps only namely Arietta and Quickstep for the 7 different DT48 that I own and the bass quantity variance is there for all models and presumed year range between models.The Active balanced Quickstep improved bass modulation over the Arietta to somewhat electrostatic like.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,784 of 4,308
Figured this out some time ago but would like to repost, all the models have sub bass, it's how you wear them that determines the quantity , but just try pushing the cups in with the palms of your hands either keeping them there or after a vacuum has been created, a sort of anchoic chamber, thereafter it should not sound midcentric or lacking bass but balanced, thats the wire to the brain, the best way to get this is by using the old soft really thin looking vinyl pads. But if you can't find them try what Lejaz did and stuff the new type pads with a foam or pads from a small on ear cushions.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,785 of 4,308
The only sub bass im getting is off the DT48A. Both pads - for the DT48A and DT48E - were recently replaced and are brand new. And I agree, they sound balanced. I have no problems on getting the vaccum effect off the pads.

As for the thin pads, I didn't like them at all as they made the mids less magical - I'd rather have "less" bass :)
The pads I recommend are: 
Beyerdynamic 907.305 / EDT 48 S

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,787 of 4,308
Good stuff and I hope you'll like them as much as some of us.
Looking at your profile, the closest thing you've got there are the DT150 (minus the bass presence).

After you get them, listen to them for 2 weeks straight before taking any conclusion - the power of the wire to the brain needs to be experienced in a certain way for it to kick in.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,788 of 4,308
  Good stuff and I hope you'll like them as much as some of us.
Looking at your profile, the closest thing you've got there are the DT150 (minus the bass presence).

After you get them, listen to them for 2 weeks straight before taking any conclusion - the power of the wire to the brain needs to be experienced in a certain way for it to kick in.

Got it 
I always wanted the dt48 , those aluminium membranes and High Tech Earpads are cool , let's hope they have one there

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,789 of 4,308
Your second best bet will be the German bay where they popup quite often used. Prices are not as good as in the past but it certainly is worth keeping a weekly eye on them. Parts are still available and you can easily rebuild one as long as the drivers and cups are ok.

This thread has calmed down which can only be a good thing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,790 of 4,308
Yes this e are the new designed pads and so far I have ordered 3 pairs and used 2 for the DT48S 5 ohms 60's and tHE DT48A 5 ohms semi vintage 80's, Next one maybe Kudelski 25 ohms old vinyl pads likely 60's to 70's. These 3 are currently on loan for a review paired with the Meier Arietta hopefully on Headfonics soon as the reviewer requested for another 2 weeks. So far the review by Tyll was a sham, it just just if us hear it and he was using the new type pads but ended up with a dubious conclusion. Ever since that review I have stopped taking that guy seriously. I'm using a DT48E 80's old vinyl pads for comparison and critical listening with the Active balanced Meier Quickstep.I coUlf also use the semi-hard foam pads from the DT48A, but those gave my ears an ache. lol. Had been switching between AKG K500, HD650 German Maestro 8.35, KRK 6400 AND 8400, PIONEER MONITOR 10, AKG 340, DT880 and DT 770, SHURE 1840. What else? It's been a pretty busy weekend.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3,791 of 4,308
Looking forward to that comparo. Be sure to let us know when it comes out.
As for Tyll's review I'll speculate that there was something wrong either with the pads condition or seal as these cans need the sweat effect to seal properly, or both. Those measurements cannot be right . Anyway, he's a cool guy despite the fact that we hear things differently on several counts, and quite agreed on others.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3,792 of 4,308
Oops I commented on REP. He shouldn't have concluded that the DT48 were bot meant for music and got busy looking for what could've gone wrong, Well if he did do his homework. He would gave found the answer in between these 3000 odd posts. lol. Or simpler yet ask the owner of the subject headphones to comment, Good old Dale Thorn always willing to lend a helping hand, Brother Kool Bubba ice, KBI in short, already had trouble with the Sheriff and his deputies over this outlawed pair of 1937 cans.Next could be anyone of us, I say here is a conspiracy lol.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,794 of 4,308
If we all bought based on measured performance, Final Audio Design would be out of business....

At the end of the day, there are so many factors to take into account (amp output impedance, FR, damping factor, air temperature, humidity......).

This is definitely a science with more than seven variables!

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #3,795 of 4,308

As for Tyll's review I'll speculate that there was something wrong either with the pads condition or seal as these cans need the sweat effect to seal properly, or both. Those measurements cannot be right .

The DT 48 was also measured by Hirahara for his (somewhat hastily written) report, "Physical characteristics of headphones used in psychophysical experiments." The report can be read there: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ast/25/4/25_4_276/_pdf

His results, using three different measurement setups and five pairs of DT 48, are in effect like Tyll's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back