The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,796 of 4,308
Techie,You should get try getting a new in box DT48A, a pair of new pads whiChris are not included and a Stereo connector.What is included will 've the semi hard circular foam pads used for audiometry. Hopefully the original box packaging too.

I wanted to write on the readings, two very different FR one full of peaks and valleys while another showing a good gradient, From what I hear from all the DT48 that is after a couple of minutes probably on the safe side give it 10 minutes resting on your ears doing nothing, use the palms of purchases and pressure inwards, the moist pads when pressed inwards dispels the air as much as it allows out the floppy pads, a vacuum/Anchoic chamber is formed. Shouldn't have any problems keeping that seal until condensate fills up inside andit will be required to purge this collection of moisture.
If done correctly the FR doesn't anymore sound too midcentric bass which is the most regular complain for the DT48 actually comes in troves and highly articulated bass texture /Low end/Sub-bass much so that I can similarly attribute them with respect to Electrostatics. I'm not parroting what others have described them,I hear it, if you don't need to check your pads and seal method/ritual.Try manually moistening the pads and your outer ears nit forgetting to dispel the excess air from the chambers. I do hope to keep new and old informed of this and that creating and keeping the seal is the key to unlock the DT48.

Too many parameters to process a result , interpret it, But all you actually need is to follow the instructions get the seal and would hear it for yourself.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,797 of 4,308
Oops I commented on REP. He shouldn't have concluded that the DT48 were bot meant for music and got busy looking for what could've gone wrong, Well if he did do his homework. He would gave found the answer in between these 3000 odd posts. lol. Or simpler yet ask the owner of the subject headphones to comment, Good old Dale Thorn always willing to lend a helping hand, Brother Kool Bubba ice, KBI in short, already had trouble with the Sheriff and his deputies over this outlawed pair of 1937 cans.Next could be anyone of us, I say here is a conspiracy lol.

I'm going to be very publicly blunt here: The people you mentioned were banned for being repeatedly abusive towards other members, then the moderators. Nothing to do with the headphones. Now I've deleted one of your posts in which you have had a go at another member. Again, other than spammers, people are banned here for being rude and abusive, because people want to be able to participate on the forums without people being rude to them. 
smile.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #3,798 of 4,308

The DT 48 was also measured by Hirahara for his (somewhat hastily written) report, "Physical characteristics of headphones used in psychophysical experiments." The report can be read there: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ast/25/4/25_4_276/_pdf

His results, using three different measurement setups and five pairs of DT 48, are in effect like Tyll's.

Thanks for that vid. I do appreciate a lot of the info that you have shared on several vintage cans, too :). I remember having read this report quite sometime ago. Although a "quick" report it's still an important document for this thread. I'm familiar with all headphones listed except for the TDH39.

My psychoacoustic personal measurements don't experience those anomalies with such amplitude regarding the DT48. I don't think I have golden ears, nor do I think I have 2 special pairs of DT48s.
Granted, looking at Fig 4 and the mean actual ear response line, I can relate to the graph, but it just dips way too much on either end of the spectrum, at least, as I'd report it. To my ears I'd draw that line on the HDA200, but that was quite some time ago! Our brains are really different from machines as we build them for sure.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,799 of 4,308
 I do hope to keep new and old informed of this and that creating and keeping the seal is the key to unlock the DT48.

This is valuable info!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,800 of 4,308
  Your second best bet will be the German bay where they popup quite often used. Prices are not as good as in the past but it certainly is worth keeping a weekly eye on them. Parts are still available and you can easily rebuild one as long as the drivers and cups are ok.

This thread has calmed down which can only be a good thing.

Got a reply , they told me to wait for another day 
So I'll get a final answer tomorrow , man I really hope they have one 

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,802 of 4,308
You should. Beyer most certainly should have them.

Look for part #:
407 313 / EDT48A.00

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3,804 of 4,308
Go, go, go :)

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #3,805 of 4,308
Get 'em while you can!

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,806 of 4,308
I wish guys , Beyer will not let me purchase it :frowning2:
They want to keep it , and I quote "We don't sell discontinued models even if if they are available" ...so much for being a owner of the world's first headphone
Anyway I might get the dt100 400ohm to complete my DT1XX collection and eventually buy a 48 , quite unhappy :frowning2:

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,807 of 4,308
Not sure if they would ship this to where you are

http://www.mp3store.pl/article/beyerdynamic-dt48a.00-5ohm-h5-professional-and-studio-headphones-ean.101060,2011500346024141619.html

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,808 of 4,308
Try Studiospares in the UK. That's where I got mine.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,810 of 4,308
Apologies for the poor picture quality (iPad on board camera). Will add proper pictures in daylight with a DSLR!

Tonight's rig:

FLAC files / Hifiman HM-601LE / Custom Art pure silver interconnect / Epiphany Acoustics O2 / Beyerdynamic DT48E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back