The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3,721 of 4,303
Quote:
Just listening to "Amy Winehouse - You know i'm no good". Wow, this clarity is unmatched.

Only bad thing is that there is slight distortion in the recording, it sounds slightly like some kind of vinyl scratch. More pronounced on right channel. Easily heard with the DT48....

The DT48's mid range clarity is better then the T1 in my opinion.. But the T1 has a cleaner sound with no distortion. A Tesla DT48 would have been interesting.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #3,722 of 4,303
Hey guys. How expensive a DAC do I need to make the DT48 really shine? I'm currently upgrading from my Behringer DAC, probably getting a Steinberg CI1 next. It will also work as my monitor volume controller.

My budget is 100-200€, but I can really bump it up if I can clearly hear the difference.

Also, what amp output impedance do you guys feel is best for DT48? When I tried them out of my vintage amp which had a high output impedance, they sounded better compared to my Objective 2 amp IMO.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3,723 of 4,303
Hey guys. How expensive a DAC do I need to make the DT48 really shine? I'm currently upgrading from my Behringer DAC, probably getting a Steinberg CI1 next. It will also work as my monitor volume controller.

My budget is 100-200€, but I can really bump it up if I can clearly hear the difference.

Also, what amp output impedance do you guys feel is best for DT48? When I tried them out of my vintage amp which had a high output impedance, they sounded better compared to my Objective 2 amp IMO.

Yes a 120 ohm impedance is ideal, you can make an impedance adapter for your Objective 2 amp, you can also get the ODAC, it will be sufficient. But if you want something else, you can try Centrance LX or any of their product range, myself I use the O2 ODac and Meier, these I found to match well with the DT48, not forgetting my vintage amp.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3,725 of 4,303
I have found that my 25 Ohm DT48E works extremely well with my Little Dot Mk.III (Voskhod driver tubes, lowest gain setting). Has anyone else tried this combination?

Source: 192 KHz FLACs from HD Tape Transfers, played via Foobar2000 / iBasso D7 used as USB to SPDIF converter / Chord Prodac coax IC / Little Dot DAC_1 / Funk Tonstudio IC

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,727 of 4,303
  Oh my god, i've been recently downloading some really high quality FLAC files on my computer, preferably not commercial, vintage jazz stuff and such. It all sounds so amazing on DT48's... I'm so spoiled by these

The ultimate hit or miss headphone. They can sound extremely bad or extremely good; soly depending on the source. No other headphone I heard or own come close in that regard.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3,728 of 4,303
And one never knows WHAT will sound good. I have even found some large-scale orchestral works to work well with these.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #3,730 of 4,303
I have found that my 25 Ohm DT48E works extremely well with my Little Dot Mk.III (Voskhod driver tubes, lowest gain setting). Has anyone else tried this combination?

Source: 192 KHz FLACs from HD Tape Transfers, played via Foobar2000 / iBasso D7 used as USB to SPDIF converter / Chord Prodac coax IC / Little Dot DAC_1 / Funk Tonstudio IC

Yes I bought a little dot III with the idea of warming up
My DT 480 which are a little more musical then the DT 48s
But I also use with my DT48s I use a CLAS as my source
With lossless rips. I wonder if BH will ever get more 48's in stock?

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,732 of 4,303
Beyer DT 48 and 480's are like fine scotch, an aquired taste.

Why so? I feel the DT48 is a very transparent headphone. It's like drinking water; everyone should like it. :p

By the way just upgraded my 20$ dac to a 200$ one.. The difference is real. The sound is MUCH fatter now (more dynamic), drums have more snap and slam, soundstage has more depth and instrument separation is better. I haven't tried any A/B testing yet, though. It could be also that my new DAC has a better headphone output or some kind of synergy with the DT48.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3,733 of 4,303

Why so? I feel the DT48 is a very transparent headphone. It's like drinking water; everyone should like it. 

By the way just upgraded my 20$ dac to a 200$ one.. The difference is real. The sound is MUCH fatter now, drums have more snap and slam, soundstage has more depth and instrument separation is better. I haven't tried any A/B testing yet, though. It could be also that my new DAC has a better headphone output or some kind of synergy with the DT48.

I'm sure this will be sacrilegious in some area's on Head Fi, but the DT48 is easily the most transparent and honest headphone I have ever heard in my life.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,734 of 4,303
Just wanted to report I was finally able to twist off the side caps from my DT48's to check out the insides. Have to say that putting the caps back but leaving the screw holes open has an interesting effect on the lower frequencies. Anyone else try this?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back