The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #4,156 of 4,308
No i have not. I´m going to need special tool to get the backplate off from 48. So far 48 with these earpads has almost comparable bass impact and extension to DT 480. I´m going to put some vinyl on top of 150 earpads for improved seal. OG 480 earpads are some made from some sort of vinyl and it seals very well.

I once put a plastic disc with double sided tape on the back of the DT480, did not improve the sound or make it like the DT48. The DT480 is honkier, some disturbing resonance.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4,157 of 4,308
dt48.jpg
]
48.25.w/1540 pads
also tried hm5 sheepskin
like both more than stock pads, but not sure b/w the two
has the original disc with inner foam to direct sound,
then 1540 or hm5 over them.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #4,158 of 4,308
20180611_222255.jpg

DT 48 + DT 150 earpads are proving to be good combo. Much more comfortable than stock E version earpads. After taking that image, i made sealing lip from tape to make it seal better at jawline area. I have to experiment more with these to see if i would get even better bass extension.

dt48.2.jpg

Dt150 pads went over the stock ring to my surprise. I didn't permanently mount it, but some adhesive should make it work, though the strong clamp keeps it in place.

dt48.3.jpg

YMMV n Good Luck to the modders :D of these vintages

***UPDATE***

Beyerdynamic sent me a set of new pads (warranty claim) as one pair I got initially for the 480.200 had a small tear in the corner just one week into use. I used a drop of super glue and they were fine, but i was a bit disappointed and they sent me new set. They let me keep the defective one. Anyway good timing as a fresh set has a tight lip. The pics above had a set which were on 480.200, that is why its a bit stretched out. Not with the new one ! :D

dt48.4.jpg

You can see it fits quite well. No need for permanent fixture, but again, just a few drops of superglue will do.

dt48.5.jpg

Proof is in the pudding.

Now some will ask "WHY MAN?" what is this nonsense.

But, this opens a whole new road of pads swapping fun as there are
1) dt150/100/100 Velour
2)hm5 sheeps, pleather, velour hybrid, angled and non angled
3) Vesper audio custom pads

vesper.jpg

etc etc. , as well as option for people with seal issues with the stock pads.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #4,159 of 4,308
Had a very scary moment with the DT48A today, the DT48 being the only headphone I think which maintains a clean Sine wave down to 20hz with no Sub-Harmonic distortion to speak of. Gave me a nice thud of pure undistorted low frequencies at a relatively high SPL, that was pretty scary.
Why is this scary? I just bought a dt48a still on its way. I currently have a straight dt48 no lettering 25ohm. I don't ear what you are discribing yet on this. Do u have the song u heard this scary moment on?

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #4,160 of 4,308
Why is this scary? I just bought a dt48a still on its way. I currently have a straight dt48 no lettering 25ohm. I don't ear what you are discribing yet on this. Do u have the song u heard this scary moment on?

The bass can surprise on both 48/480, i i feel 480 more so with the ability to mod the breathing characteristics of the diaphragm. I can't comment on the A version but i will soon.
Something like this song will show how much of a synthmaster these drivers are (moreso the 480.)

Best to listen best quality on spottify ofc :D[/MEDIA]

Listen to what he says between 11:00 - 12:00, that's pretty crazy statement. I dont know about the praise, but i bought them b/c of it lolz

He has all these unobtaniums so i trust his impresions :D

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #4,161 of 4,308
I took the screw out of the back plate, and put 2 small drops of super glue to have the bacnplat on at the 6 and 12 oclock position. This is so i can reoove it if necessary.

This bass port allows for bass boost and the bass is much louder n still tight.

I used akg k172 hd pads. \i cut the disc into appropriate size for pads apprx 2.5 inch circle disc.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ try and see for yourself.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4,162 of 4,308
The bass can surprise on both 48/480, i i feel 480 more so with the ability to mod the breathing characteristics of the diaphragm. I can't comment on the A version but i will soon.
Something like this song will show how much of a synthmaster these drivers are (moreso the 480.)

Listen to what he says between 11:00 - 12:00, that's pretty crazy statement. I dont know about the praise, but i bought them b/c of it lolz

The DT 48/480 are capable of rather incredible bass, one of the only headphones that have scared me with their dynamic potential in terms of dynamic slam, not just in the bass/sub-bass but also midrange and treble dynamics.

I talk to him fairly regularly. He knows what he is talking about and is one of the people I trust the most with his impressions.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #4,163 of 4,308
The DT 48/480 are capable of rather incredible bass, one of the only headphones that have scared me with their dynamic potential in terms of dynamic slam, not just in the bass/sub-bass but also midrange and treble dynamics.

I talk to him fairly regularly. He knows what he is talking about and is one of the people I trust the most with his impressions.

Has the cans to back it up plus h has dem young fresh ears :D

He hasn't posted a review in like 4 months, i hope hes fine

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #4,164 of 4,308

are you EQing the bass?

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #4,165 of 4,308
are you EQing the bass?

I've removed the screw to make bass port and glued the backplate on. So it looks stock but no screw, it allows driver to breathe
one can test by blocking hole with fingers. It fattens up the sound, warms it up in other words, and bass is more.

I am using akg pads atm on ear ones, though i am waiting on new stock pads, as well i hav tried dt100 velour/ 150 pleather. hm5 sheepskin,

its still work in progress, but closer to 480 sound modded.

And yes EQ few db 3-4 db in 20-100 hz range

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,169 of 4,308
What the....? Ok. What do we call that? DT 748 Pro? DT 818 Pro? That´s crazy. How does it sound?

It sounds like a d48 without the screw on the backplate. So a bit of a warmer, fatter sound like when i had the akg pads and bass port. More like a sennheiser 580/sextett, thought not as warm as them, still somewhat dt48 mids, highs, just fatter bass/midbass. Whether that is good or bad lol depends. I have unmolested 480, 48A. And modded 480/48. Alll are enjoyable for certain music.

This makes Rush sound better than stock dt48, fatter drum hits.The driver seems to have slightly more excursion, so there is less clinical sound as bass resonates more.

I'm going to call it ... um dt748 he he :D

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #4,170 of 4,308
ONE SIDE NOT WORKING, 99 BONES,

new cable dt150, dt100 velour pads, dt150 headband = boom magic

dt480.25.jpg
]]

so keep in mind when shopping dt480 with one side only... no risk, no reward :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back