The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jul 28, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,171 of 4,303
UPDATE:

Using k172HD pads skinned off as a way to funnel the sound, then hm5 sheepskin on top. I don't know why but it all works out. The backplate was completely removed so it is "open" like in the dt480, and well the sound is similar to the 25 ohm dt480 i have with dt100 velour pads, but a bit thinner, though thicker than stock dt48. I like the thicker sound for low end, and male vocals thicken as well. This is dynamated with xtreme dynamat as well so no unwanted resonance.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

now i can wear these in public :D or in other words should i want to have dt48 in somewhat socially acceptable can on head, this will do :D..

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4,172 of 4,303
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #4,173 of 4,303
I took the screw out of the back plate, and put 2 small drops of super glue to have the bacnplat on at the 6 and 12 oclock position. This is so i can reoove it if necessary.

This bass port allows for bass boost and the bass is much louder n still tight.

I used akg k172 hd pads. \i cut the disc into appropriate size for pads apprx 2.5 inch circle disc.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ try and see for yourself.
I just eq the bass

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #4,175 of 4,303
Untitled.jpg

loose cable connection, went 4 like 25 US bones, lets' hope for another cable replacement miracle. not bad for parts either. so far i got 2 with bad cable which i managed to fix with new cable (dt150), so i am hopeful *knock on wood* :D

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,177 of 4,303
Does anyone know what year the dt48 a 5 ohm-red and blue ear sides was produced
There is an answer in this thread, i remember reading... Good luck with that lol
No, but, every A version has red and blue earcups and if i recall, It came after the S version, maybe even after the vintage E version, why would you need that info? Description for ad? Or curious, cause if you are, read the whole thread, its a journey and a good one, with a slippery road, from all the crap butthurt fanboys left, defending the hd800 or what not :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #4,178 of 4,303
Does anyone know what year the dt48 a 5 ohm-red and blue ear sides was produced

Mine was dated by Beyer to be made around the mid 1980's so they are at least that old!

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #4,179 of 4,303
These are my impressions on two headphones and soundcards i own: 70-s dt 48 25 ohm VS 70-s pioneer monitor 10 and e-mu 0404 usb VS tc electronic konnekt 6
Both headphones deserve much better system and both reveal e-mu is not flat at all, mids recessed, grooved up sound, its like its meant for speakers or headphones with artifficial sound stage, because it has a very narrow sound stage (0404). separation is decent, mix is comming out in a listeners manner (dt48 is bored, because of lack of detail and monitor 10 gave up on this card), its a very budget sound, limited and shaped for the majority.
konnekt 6 on the other hand is on a whole new level compared to emu, which at this point seems like a toy, plastic, cheap pots, sound limited...
Konnekt 6 has a better extensions on both ends, low end is flat, highs a bit digital sounding (not as real as i want), mids flat and detailed as F compared to emu 0404... its like emu made everything further away, but then further shrink it to fake the separation... Synergy between dt48 and 0404 exists, because dt48 brings out those recessed mids, but its too late to fool ME on this subject, emu... dt48 is the best this interface will ever sound... *it also sounds better trough main out than trough hp amp...

Now dt48 vs monitor 10 trough konnekt 6:
To every person who never heard dt48, monitor 10 will sound like a next level compared to dt48, bUT i aint every person, i had dt48 1 year more than pioneer, so... To me, dt48 is at least 2 classes above monitor 10. Its not true that there are similarities between the two... monitor has a wide soundstage, with EXCELENT separation, great detail, transparent, they sound as its a studio speakers... below 100hz is present and bass is pretty flat, it does seem a bit exaggerated with the bass... But it surprisingly doesnt ruin the monitor capabilities, if i were mixing in a studio, i would mix it with monitor 10 over dt48, but i would use dt48 when listening and mastering single instruments, vocals, not because they are a bit better than monitor for this, but because they are 10X better...Yea, on a "uniquess" of sound, monitor 10 gets 1, where dt 48 gets 11... Its outta this world hp, no wonder people call the dt48 fanbase: a CULT... dt48 brings everything that recording had INSIDE of your head, while monitor 10 (and the rest) try to simulate a set of speakers... Speed of dt48 also makes them seem classes above monitor 10 and it doesnt have animal corpse all over it...
Listening to dt48, even the songs on a SAME album sound so different... which is not the case with ANY other hp... It can easily be missunderstood as colored presentation, but its the recording thats presenting its colors, dt48 just shows it to you...
All that said, monitor 10 is still outstanding hp, better than all modern hps i tried, including dt990, hd380 pro, hd25, m50

I had a opportunity to compare monitor 10 vs hd25ii trough midas pro 2, with live band, so i listened to only snare, kick etc, a-b ing with the two...
Long story short: hd 25 seems more hazy, with even more bass, but its a really good hp compared to something like ath m50...
Sound stage is better with pioneer and deteail as well...

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #4,181 of 4,303
How are you finding the M0 + Mojo combo? Which amp are you using, and does it improve on the Mojo’s own output stage?

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #4,182 of 4,303
9940084_l.jpg

DT48a with Aventho pads. More portable friendly :).
Same amount of bass as with replacement DT48e pads.

Sq below HD250, but still a nice listening experience.

That looks like a really cool setup! I used the dt48A to check and see why the 250 was a really good can. And in Bass and Treble, it does come out as the superior can from what i found anyway. But I could not say the midrange of the hd250 was the bee's knees or it would really be the PERFECT can. I would say they are very good, but the mids of the 48A are superior. Some will say the 48A mids are sterile and lifeless but listen to a song like "THE ROAD" by Emmylou and well it shows it can be warmish and lively. Though I won't say they are music listening cans as much as they are tools, the 48A and 480 are some of my favorites for sure.

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #4,183 of 4,303
That looks like a really cool setup! I used the dt48A to check and see why the 250 was a really good can. And in Bass and Treble, it does come out as the superior can from what i found anyway. But I could not say the midrange of the hd250 was the bee's knees or it would really be the PERFECT can. I would say they are very good, but the mids of the 48A are superior. Some will say the 48A mids are sterile and lifeless but listen to a song like "THE ROAD" by Emmylou and well it shows it can be warmish and lively. Though I won't say they are music listening cans as much as they are tools, the 48A and 480 are some of my favorites for sure.

If you mod the DT 480 right you can make it excellent for music listening, in fact I would rate mine the best headphone I've owned for music.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #4,184 of 4,303
If you mod the DT 480 right you can make it excellent for music listening, in fact I would rate mine the best headphone I've owned for music.

giphy.gif

Let's not drive demand and prices up :p

Btw i posted this in the dt150 thread, but ebay from China selling Ar-H1 replacement pads in lambskin leather. I ordered a pair, and hope it fits our "Jewel" . The Beyer softskin seems to peel, which is odd, i dont know if they experimented with new material. Same with the premium headbands on the dt 880/990 line. AR-H1 llooks about the same size so *fingers crossed*

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #4,185 of 4,303
iP0w2c1_d.jpg

Hello everybody.

I am new here, but I have read you for years

I have just bought a Dt 48 200ohm headphones with their original beyerdynamic vintage case. I do not know what year or model they are. It is in good condition, but the earpads are flat (like deflated) and deformed because of the time they were in their case, so they are useless. These pads are not glued, they can twist. I am thinking in make or adapt one of any other headphones (like hm5 or some AliExpress ones that fit...), but I had read that the SQ could change. Any suggestions?

Also, it has a 1/4 plug, and I need 1/8. What's better, change the plug or use an adapter?

I will use it with a LG V30.

I paid 35€ for them, is it a good price? I have 15 days for returning it for free.

Thank you in advance, and sorry if my English is not the best.

Pd: I also have other headphones like Fidelio X2, Fidelio L2, Sony 1000x, Sony h900n, Bose qc25, sol republic master tracks ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back