The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #616 of 1,049
soundeffect, I personally didn't think you exaggerated about that ad700. I, too, thought they are base-light. The phone has emphasis on the highs, I personally couldn't adapt to the fatigue caused by it.

As long as you're fine with uniquely closed phone sounding, and if the dt250 fits well to your head/ear, then I think you experience so little fatigue that it's very suitable to your need. 

If naturalness or neutrality is your ideal, then I'm honestly curious to know what you're going to say about the phone (pros or cons or both) once you got a pair and experienced it yourself. I think it says something when people who care about dt250 frequently indicate its "naturalness", "non-fatigue", "smooth tonality", or what's reflected in Saint Panda's "green tea" metaphor. My gut-level hypothesis is that Lunatique's definition of "fidelity" or "headphone nirvana" pretty much constitutes what people eventually realize as "natural sound" in headphones, and dt250-250 coincidentally come relatively closer to that than other entry-level phones.

Non of us here are Beyer's agent, so if you put dt250 on, didn't like the fit/sound, then move on for what suits you well, and no one here takes any offense. Oh yeah, one other thing, because the pad is velour in these, rather than a pleather, dt250 is free of the issue that the surface film coming off within a year or two of use.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #617 of 1,049
[size=x-small]Does anybody have any experiences running the 250 Ohms model off of an HM-101? I've heard people say that you shouldn't run 250 ohms or above on one, but also that these headphones are fairly easy to drive for their [/size]impedance[size=x-small]. [/size]I'd like to make these my new laptop use headphones, but I doubt they would run smoothly off the on-board audio.

I know a lot of people aren't crazy about the HM-101, but it seemed like the cheapest, smallest Linux compatible solution (Fiio models don't run smoothly in Linux). Open to other <$100 portable-usb-amp/dac's that are linux compatible (lots of qualifiers, I know)...

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #618 of 1,049
Just want to post a quick cable upgrade. This is just a test cable, I'm still waiting on new cables, plugs and carbon fiber materials.

First I started with this.

Than I cut and shaped it into this.

The result.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #619 of 1,049
Just want to post a quick cable upgrade. This is just a test cable, I'm still waiting on new cables, plugs and carbon fiber materials.

The result.

Tell us about the sound improvement after u get the new cable.
Nice test cable already. How did you find the plug with exact pin distance?

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #620 of 1,049
Tell us about the sound improvement after u get the new cable.
Nice test cable already. How did you find the plug with exact pin distance?

I didn't know if it was the same distance or not but it looked close enough, so I chopped it up, plugged it in, and it was a perfect fit.
I'll try to post a quick sound impression when I have some time.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #621 of 1,049

The result.

Well done sir!!!!  I love the ingenuity!  a little matt black paint on the housing ad some black silk cale and you'll have the Batmobile of Beyers.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #625 of 1,049
I have received my DT250 over the weekend and my initial impression is beyond expectation.  I imagined that I could use them only off my mid-80s NAD 3130 amplifier,  Surprisingly, they sound loud and clear even off my laptop (Fujitsu TH700).  They even work OK off my android phone.  Very nice!

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #626 of 1,049
Got mine for roughly $28 on Amazon.  Certainly worth that.  Bass is pretty light.  Comfort questionable.  Put the HM5 pads on it and that helps.  Super music phones, not so much for movies.  But with build, sound and price considered they pretty much rock for music.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #627 of 1,049
I finished the prototype cable yesterday. I'm not going to put too much work into it until I get some better cables but I'm happy with the result. 
There's no channel imbalance and the sound has a little more weight to it.

This was a fun project, but I wonder why there's not more people making their own cable for this headphone? It's incredibly easy, especially if you use the stock connector. It can easily be taken apart soldered. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #629 of 1,049
The carbon fiber finish looks Awesome!

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #630 of 1,049
I still appreciate my DT250-250 - they are a part of my home-studio sealed can rotation along with the AKG K271S and MrSpeakers MadDog.  They are not perfect (that damn proprietary cable connection has caused me problems), but they are comfortable and have sound quality that scales higher than many closed cans.  I would rank the sealed headphones in my current collection like so:

T50RP MadDog Balanced (sound incredible when driven via the Schiit Mjolnir)
AH-D7000 (sounds great with most gear, easy to drive - my gaming cans)
K271S/DT250-250 (they are tied overall and have different strengths)
ATH-W11JPN
SRH840
HD25 Amperior
ATH-W11R
SRH940
SRH440
K81DJ
T50RP (stock)

What is striking to me is how terrible the stock T50RP sounds (to me) and how great the MadDog sounds in comparison.  It amazes me how much a driver can scale with improved pads and other tweaks.  Also, there is a difference between the 80 and 250ohm varieties of the DT250; I prefer the 250ohm version due to improved bass control and treble smoothness but they are harder to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back