The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #136 of 1,049
The E17 is more than capable of driving the 250 Ohm version. The 250 Ohm version is in no way bass-light - its bass is just more neutral/flat, whereas the 80 Ohm version has mid-bass hump. Since the E17 has that nice bass boost feature, you will be able to achieve a very similar sound to the 80 Ohm version, if you wish. The 250 Ohm version is superior in terms of sound quality and neutrality, so if you have a source that can drive it, there is no reason to go for the 80 Ohm version. Naturally, this is my own opinion - I have auditioned both and chose the 250 Ohm version as I thought it was better. 

Quote:
Thanks bookaboo, unfortunately I only have the 250 ohm model available for purchase :/  I do have a fiio e17 amp/dac and plan to get a fiio e9 as well so powering them wouldn't be a problem.  

Unfortunately I haven't tried the HD600 or HD650 but from here-say I can understand the gist of what you're saying!
so donunus, when you listen to metal, do you typically use the 250ohm or the 80ohm version?

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #137 of 1,049
Fair point!  I love playing around with the EQ adjustments on my E17!  You just alleviated my fears :)
Once I purchase them I'll post my impressions here! 

Thanks for all your help everyone!  You're awesome.

Quote:
The E17 is more than capable of driving the 250 Ohm version. The 250 Ohm version is in no way bass-light - its bass is just more neutral/flat, whereas the 80 Ohm version has mid-bass hump. Since the E17 has that nice bass boost feature, you will be able to achieve a very similar sound to the 80 Ohm version, if you wish. The 250 Ohm version is superior in terms of sound quality and neutrality, so if you have a source that can drive it, there is no reason to go for the 80 Ohm version. Naturally, this is my own opinion - I have auditioned both and chose the 250 Ohm version as I thought it was better. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #140 of 1,049
The 80 ohm version can get some vibration in your ears while giving good sound. Thats not what the people into the 250 ohm version is going for though. Bass is only there when it should be.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #141 of 1,049
So basically the 80 ohms will be good for all genres of music right, but it will still provide the bass that i want?

I listen to ( J pop, rock , hip hop , pop, metal, rnb, etc.)

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #143 of 1,049

Quote:
So basically the 80 ohms will be good for all genres of music right, but it will still provide the bass that i want?

I listen to ( J pop, rock , hip hop , pop, metal, rnb, etc.)

The bass is slightly boosted on the 80 ohm version and treble is rolled off a bit more compared to the 250 ohm from what I have read on here.  On Headphonic people claim they sound the same and the difference in sound is due to how amps handle different impendences which could be true. Graphs show some differences but again how accurate they are I don't know because I have seen 2 graphs for the same phones look different on different websites. I went with the 80 ohm version since they are easier to drive and I have no plans on getting a good amp anytime soon. Either way the 80ohm version might be safer to get if your looking for something a bit more bassy and warm. The 80 ohm version is good for all genres of music and the bass is pretty much just right to my ears. Its not overdone or really lacking at all imo. How much bass you want though I don't know.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #144 of 1,049
I wanted enough bass just to give my ears that thump you know. But I'm sick of people hyping up beats by dre at my school. I wanted an all purpose can that's good for alot of different genres and still retains an impactful bass. Plus, I really like the velour earpads on these things. I don't want an over exaggerated bass; I just want some good new headphones that are a step up from my
sony mdr 7506 and better bass.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #145 of 1,049
The bass on either version of these cans is fantastic, but the 80 Ohm version has it slightly louder. If you are positive that you don't want to use an external amplifier with your cans, I'd say go for the 80 Ohm version. The 250 Ohm version is difficult to drive, moreso than many other 250 Ohm headphones that I've owned. My Cowon i9, which is a relatively powerful portable device, struggles to drive the 250 Ohm version properly. Even a measly E7 is  capable of making them sing though, so the amp investment needn't be too much. I bet even an E5 or E6 should be more than capable of driving the 250 Ohm version passably.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #146 of 1,049
Hey jupitreas, JayB18, and donunus thanks for your input guys. You all were a big help to me. I think I'll buy these dt250 80ohms next month,due to the fact I dont have the money right now. I've narrowed it down to a lot of good headphones, besides this one, but I've received a greater amount of responses from these. They might just become my new portables next month until I can get the v moda m100's. But overall, These will satisfy me until that time comes. Thanks again guys
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #147 of 1,049
Actually even the 80 ohm version is not very easy to drive. Its louder at the same volume level on my cmoy for example vs the 250 ohm version but the 250 ohm version can play louder cleaner on the same amp. The 80 ohm version distorts at a lower level than the 250 ohm model... Of course that is probably also the fault of the cmoy which tends to like driving higher impedance cans.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #148 of 1,049

Quote:
They might just become my new portables next month until I can get the v moda m100's.

Hello 
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT250-250s are getting 80% of my head time right now for all the reasons already given in this thread 
biggrin.gif
. They are a bit of a hidden treasure IMHO.

Being relatively small and light, they are 'portable' but IMHO need a desktop amp to sound convincing. My Graham Slee voyager is excellent with HD25, DT150 and SRH840/940 but underwhelming with the DT250-250. I'd be interested in anybody's experience of the voyager/DT250-80. More importantly, isolation, even with pleather, is pretty mediocre. I would personally not use them out and about.

Just my 2c.

Enjoy!

Best

James

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #149 of 1,049
Thats okay. I thought about it, unfortunately my mind always fluctuates between what headphone will suit my needs, but no headphone's perfect. Unfortunately, there will always be a con with a pro. I really believe now I'm going to go for the Ultrasone pro 750's. Of course, they have their own problems and every headphone has its issue. It may be a great headphone but it may lack something necessary in return. For example a headphones portability, It may have tons of comfort and bass, but it may use a non-detachable cable. But overall, I'm interested in these cans. Hopefully, they have something to show me without being misguided failure. Thanks guys

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #150 of 1,049
Sorry to rain on your parade but the ultrasone pro 750 sounds like garbage hehehe. I've owned a proline 750 before and I'd say that they are worth $50 tops in the sound quality department. If you have any questions on specifics with certain headphones I've owned vs the dt250, check my profile to see if the ones you are interested in are on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back