The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #76 of 1,049
The hd580 floors me with the way they do good vocalists. I don't recall having that feeling with the dt250/80ohm, but I wasn't so focused on vocal music at the time I had them. Unfortunately I never got to audition the 250 ohm version.
Quote:
I just decided to keep my hd600s instead of selling them because the extra soundstage width and the extra apparent detail is something i realize i miss every once in a while when listening to the dt250s exclusively. Still the dt250 does no wrong and I still stand by my statement that they are the best closed headphone i have ever heard.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #78 of 1,049

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the Ultrasone PRO 900?  I've never had a chance to hear them, and always wondered how they would work as an alternative to the DT250 or the high-end Audio-Technicas.

I've never tried the pro900 but I've owned the proline 750 and thought they were not any good at all.

Lejaz,
I will be listening to the 80 ohm version in a few weeks and will let you know how they compare with the dt250 so that you'll know what to expect out of these cans that weren't there in your 80 ohm version.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #79 of 1,049

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the Ultrasone PRO 900?  I've never had a chance to hear them, and always wondered how they would work as an alternative to the DT250 or the high-end Audio-Technicas.

The Pro 900 and the DT250 are worlds apart.  The Pro 900 are very bassy, have recessed mids, and a particularly wide soundstage.  The goal of the DT250 is to keep things fairly balanced.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 1,049

Quote:
Lejaz,
I will be listening to the 80 ohm version in a few weeks and will let you know how they compare with the dt250 so that you'll know what to expect out of these cans that weren't there in your 80 ohm version.

Will look forward to that! If there's a significant difference, I may purchase a set, since I'm currently looking for a good closed set for music production. Currently considering the Shure 840 and the 7509. The 7509 got a great write up in an article in Sound on Sound Magazine on headphones for music production....the 840, not so great, though they get a lot of love here.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #81 of 1,049
Hey guys,

I'm looking for an over-ear, closed back headphone upgrade from my beloved hd280 pros (I know those aren't particular popular on head-fi :p)
I recently found this thread and the DT250 really looks quite attractive to me!  I prefer a relatively neutral and accurate sound, without too much bass.  I've auditioned various Beyerdymanic headphones in stores such as the 770 and 880 and found both of them way too bass heavy (with recessed treble) for my liking.  Do all beyerdynamic headphones fall into this bass-heavy category or are these the exception?

I listen to mostly metal music (some acoustics, alternative, etc.).  I cannot stand headphones with veiled or recessed mids!  So do you think these would be a good fit for me (if not, any other recommendations)?  I would greatly appreciate any feedback :)

Thanks in advance.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #83 of 1,049
My statement regarding the 880's may have been unfair.  In better terms, they aren't as punchy as I'm used (sound a little sloppy).  It is also important to mention that I played everything on my ipod (which obviously cannot power them properly)...  Once my amp arrives, I'll go back to the store and try them out again.  I doubt I will like them though :/
Oh and have you tried out the DT1350s?  I liked those, however I'm vying for an over ear headphone as I've become addicted to the larger soundstage.  If you have heard them, how do they compare to the DT250s?

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #84 of 1,049
I haven't heard the dt1350 but based on my reading, I don't think i will like them with their uneven response. About the dt880, they are actually headphones that have among the tightest bass I have ever heard. When I owned them, they were being driven by a little dot mkII OTL tube amp with upgraded tubes. The only reason I couldn't live with them was because the treble was just slightly too much for me and the mids were a little too recessed for my liking.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #88 of 1,049

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for an over-ear, closed back headphone upgrade from my beloved hd280 pros (I know those aren't particular popular on head-fi :p)
I recently found this thread and the DT250 really looks quite attractive to me!  I prefer a relatively neutral and accurate sound, without too much bass.  I've auditioned various Beyerdymanic headphones in stores such as the 770 and 880 and found both of them way too bass heavy (with recessed treble) for my liking.  Do all beyerdynamic headphones fall into this bass-heavy category or are these the exception?

I listen to mostly metal music (some acoustics, alternative, etc.).  I cannot stand headphones with veiled or recessed mids!  So do you think these would be a good fit for me (if not, any other recommendations)?  I would greatly appreciate any feedback :)

Thanks in advance.

I actually came from exactly the position you find yourself in. I had a pair of HD280s which I was satisfied with at the time, and when it came time to upgrade I was swindled into a pair of DT770s which disappointed me greatly. Too much bass, and they were terribly underpowered with a portable device. A terrible mistake. The DT250s were EXACTLY what I was looking for. At first they might sound a little plain compared to the 280s, but I fell in love with the balanced sound and would never go back. The detail is impeccable. They are also far more comfortable, and not nearly as fatiguing as the 280s.

I could (and do) listen to my DT250s for hours on end. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Here's a question: I recently acquired a Cowon J3, and using the EQ settings these cans sound sensational. Problem is, I'm new to all this so not sure what to settle on. Anyone else have a Cowon machine and use DT250 80s?  

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #89 of 1,049
I used the D2+ with my DT250 80ohms a while ago and had no problems with it. Personal preference to what settings you use but i try to leave it at 0 for everything to enjoy a natural sound.

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #90 of 1,049
The Cowon iAudio 9 struggles to drive the 250ohm Beyerdynamic DT250. It can do it but it needs to be played at near max volume, which is problematic because I have a suspicion that it begins to clip at this volume and the battery life suffers noticeably. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back